Skip to content
To Kim and her Boxer
tnmist posted:
Kim, I read somewhere recently that you have a Boxer! How awesome is that?! Will you tell me about your dog and your experience with him or her? Positive/negative? Temperament, how it does with other dogs, guard-dog factor. I have a dog and a cat, and my rescue dog can be a handful sometimes as far as reminding him that I'm the alpha dog, not him, but he has progressed very well these 3 years I've had him. He is at least 7 or 8 now.

At some point, I want a puppy. I've always wanted to raise a puppy but never have. Yes, I know, people always look at me like I'm nuts for wanting to put myself through the hassle, but I love dogs and I've just wanted to do that. Also, I work from home, so that's a plus.

Boxers have been high on my list, and, of course, I've read about them, but was just wondering about your perspective, if you don't mind. I could never pay for a purebred, so, more than likely, I will end up with a mix anyway, but I would still like to hear your story.

I have other dogs on my list, and I sort of shied away from the Boxer type because they are supposed to be kinda high energy, and I don't know if I can deal with that. Anyway, was just curious. If I get a puppy in the next couple of years, it has to be something with a little more laid-back personality than my current dog, but at the same time I really want a little more of a guard dog-type.

I had a Rottweiler once that was so laid-back that my cat could walk by him and slap him on the face (she was so jealous of him) and he would just try to stay out of her way or turn his head if he saw her coming. It was so comical because he was way bigger than her. BUT, when I walked him I felt pretty safe because he LOOKED the part, ha. You really just never know how a puppy will turn out, I suppose, but at least if I aimed towards certain breeds I have a better chance of getting what I want, ha. I would own a whole pack of dogs if I could afford it!
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

itsashayduh responded:
I would have a whole pack of dogs my self!! I love dogs!
My all time favorite is a Lab. My lab is laid back, but ready to go on a jog any time i am and she is also very protective. I will always have labs
I also have a Border Collie and a Husky. I love them both as well, but the lab, she is just all around the best dog that i have ever had.

-Sash

tnmist replied to itsashayduh's response:
Hi, Sash, nice to meet you! I had a friend with a black lab, and she was a great all-around dog, too, but the farthest thing from a guard dog, LOL. I admire your collection, there! My current dog is a Cocker mix, and this is going to be the last small dog for me. I prefer larger ones. Don't get me wrong, I love him to pieces, but he is still going to be my last small dog, if you consider 27 lbs small, ha. Technically that puts him in the mid-size range, but to me he is small.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Misty, yep I've got a boxer, Bowzer(like bowzer bag, take home, lol) also affectionately known as Boog(as in booger). Technically he's my third boxer, actually owned two.
Story goes like this.
I was driving down main st in my hometown several years ago. This very scared pure white boxer is running between traffic, I stop, coax him into my car and take him home. I run ads and notify the police and the humane society about my having this stray. In the meantime we fall in love with him. He's affectionate, smart, potty trained and beautiful. A week goes by, I get a collar and leash so that I can walk him. THEN I get the call from his owners mother. The guy is overseas, she lost the dog and when I took him "home" she not only didn't really thank me, but beat him in front of me and then, stole MY collar, lol. I was very P.O'd . And notified the police about her cruelty. I have no idea what happened after that, it was of course, her dog. But vowed never to return another dog unless I got to know the people first, then decided if it was THEIR dog or not.
Jump forward 1 week, I kid you not. ANOTHER boxer, this time the sable red color with white chest, running down same street again, trying to get hit..... this is TRUE, ok? Coaxed him into the car, this one was neutered , took him home. Fell in love with him, Called the humane society and police, noone called for him. I kept him and named him MILO.
I can't tell you how much we loved that dog.
So intelligent, so loving, so 'happy" . Yes , he barked when there was someone at the door. As far as I can tell their bark is far worse than their bite. Mine , in fact have never ever bitten anyone, nor tried.
I'm not sure if I've even ever heard either of them growl except when playing.
When Milo started getting older and slowing down, I decided to get a puppy to keep him "young". I never even considered anything BUT another boxer. So Milo got a boxer puppy.
Enter Bowzer.
Boxers smile. They smile with their mouths and their eyes. Milo smiled when he got Bowzer.
Boxers are everything I've stated above. I suggest a male for women, only because females tend to be a bit competitive with women owner's significant others.
If you can start saving now, get a pedigreed puppy. There are lots avail for about 400.00, which is far cheaper than most "purse" pedigrees.
Get one that is playful but not overbearing. Bowzer was actually the runt and he grew bigger than 3 others from same litter.
They can get too rambunctous, for their own sake. They have extremely narrow hips and they can get "football" injuries pretty easily because they like to run, jump and "twist" in the air just before they land. This can pull their muscles in their hips and it makes it almost impossible for them to bend down to drink water or eat when they do this. Dr's prescribe muscle relaxants and it goes away pretty quickly if they get it.
Yes they slobber, and yes they get bad gas, like bulldogs get, lol. Especially as they get older.... like bowzer.....
The boxers I have had aren't fighters unless they are attacked. Then they can and will defend themselves pretty well. Like the name suggests, they "fight" with their front paws, actually like pro boxers.
The three i've had accepted ALL animals large and small with aplomb. Basically , they know they are superior intellectually and they just accept that all other animals will act dumb. They are pretty complacent about meeting new housemates, be it a snake, a chinchilla, a rat, guinea pigs, another dog, or cats... it's all good. lol.
They are ok in the heat or cold, just not for super long durations. Like any dog, they need a rest from heat and cold.
Milo had already had his ears clipped to stand up. Bowzer , I never did because I wasn't going to show him. I love his floppy ears and his big deep chocolate eyes, and his smile and the warmth that comes from his heart. He's so smart, I just know he's actually an alien from another planet, I just am glad he picked me to stay with, lol
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist replied to totallywiggedout's response:
What an awesome story. Thanks! Are they TOO energetic? I do have a large fenced-in back yard, and ideally I need to walk my dog more regularly but I'm not in that habit quite yet. OH, but any dog I have would be a house dog. Backyards are just for playing and potty breaks. They are handsome devils, aren't they!

My cocker mix is male, and my Rottie was a male, but I much prefer female dogs in general. It's a good thing my cocker mix is super cute because he has some of the bad personality traits of a cocker - the possessiveness and guarding toys, etc. He needs a large personal space, too, LOL, and doesn't take to other dogs very easily. He obviously had a rough puppyhood, but he learns and responds extremely well to praise, so I train him by rewarding correct behavior and he catches on pretty well.

I did read up and watch videos from the Dog Whisperer because I was having trouble with the whole "alpha" thing, and he has good tips out there. Learning to think like a dog and talking their language instead of humanizing them works. Getting him fixed helped, too. I did that as soon as I could.

I think one of the oddest moments when I first got him was that he was marking in the house (UGH), and I was getting so frustrated that the next time I saw him step down into the laundry room to pee on my washer and dryer (which, of course runs under the machines and what a pain to clean up), I sat down on the step into the laundry room, which blocked him in there. (Okay, this was not Dog Whisperer style, this was just me being me) Right away he didn't like that. But I just sat there and simply explained to him, in a calm voice but in a tone that let him know I was not happy, that what he was doing was totally unacceptable. He will no longer pee on the washer/dryer, on my mom's antique sewing machine, on the leg of a dining chair or any other place inside the house. He could only lift his leg OUTSIDE the house. And do you know he never did it again!

I stated the rule, and end with, "Got it?!" Stared him down and then got up and took him outside. This was before he was fixed. I was just needing to vent, but I wasn't yelling at him. Obviously I was not expecting that to actually WORK, but for whatever reason it did. Go figure.

-Misty
Misty

totallywiggedout replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, boxers are fairly energetic as pups and young adults. Although , literally nothing you couldn't handle. Seriously. They like to play catch and fetch and this is where you can get away with NOT walking them a couple of hours a day. They will play themselves silly with a ball or frisbee. IF you can get it back, you are doing better than me, because they are also great at keep away, lol
Have you ever tried laying on your dog? All dogs are pack animals. In a pack , the alpha gets the top, laying on all the others. If you lay your head on your dog while watching tv, or lean on him while sitting on the sofa, he'll get the idea that you're alpha pretty quickly.
As for when you yelled "got it" you probably were leaning forward a bit over the dog and you maybe even showed your teeth.... both alpha traits, btw. You tempered him down and showed that you were boss with your body language. He may not have understood the words, but he sure as heck picked up on the motions.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

tnmist replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good to know about the boxers, thanks!

Yes, probably true...yes, I've had to educate myself on always doing the alpha thing - first out the door, first one back inside, only letting him up on furniture when invited. I have to be consistent with it. It gets old, but it keeps him in his place and I think he is less stressed knowing he doesn't have to be top dog, just part of the pack, so to speak. BTW, he heels very well. He has been trained in the past with some things. I didn't teach him to heel, and on walks, he has to heel and does so pretty well. I really do need to walk him more though, because a good tip I learned was that will reinforce my being alpha.
Misty

tnmist replied to tnmist's response:
Oh, and, I didn't mean to sound enthusiastic about what happened to that white one. That must have been heart-wrenching because obviously you love dogs and you unintentionally may have put the dog back into a not-so-good situation. We try our best, and you did what you thought was the right thing at the time. I'm sorry that happened. ((hugs))
Misty

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, Sash & Kim, love the doggie stories. My DIL has 2 Boxers, both males. The oldest weighs over 100 lbs. and is a big baby, but very watchful of the home, i.e. looks out every window and barks when he see someone. He seems to get eye infections alot and the eyedrops are very costly. He also gets tranquilazed when going to the vet, so I don't know how he gets carried in.. The newbie is 6 mos. old and has had a pinched spine. When I heard about the spine thing, I thought what he's going to the Chiropracter! LOL Pretty high energy from what I've seen. Loving disposition toward my DIL. BTW, they both go to "doggie day care" when DIL needs a break. I think DIL did say that the older Boxer did not play well with the other dogs at the day care, but I have seen him do OK with the resident newbie.

Barb

P.S. True story, the big Boxer could bump against the back door and let himself and the newbie out for potty time. My DH "fixed" that door so it would not open by a mere bump. DIL said the big boy attempted the bump motion and was surprised that it didn't open as usual. Also, DIL was po'd that she had to get up, now and open the door for the 2 of them!

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Barb, I wonder if the large boxer has a grass allergy. I'm sure it depends on which part of the US or world you live in. Since moving south , bowzer does have a runny nose and he gets sneezy in the spring, lol. As for his eyes, never have had a problem. But he's got long eyelashes, i'm not sure if that helps, like it does with humans to keep dust out, but maybe.
Bowzer is nowhere as big as 100 lbs. He's avg sized at 68 lbs. I'm wondering if your DIL's has a mix in there with maybe mastiff (?) That's a common one to mix with boxers.
Cute about the door. I don't do doggy doors either,since I have such big dogs I'm afraid that a person could actually get into one. It is kind of a pain to get up and let dogs out, but it's worse to let them get too "ringy" in the house.
huggs
k

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, Rock-O the big Boxer will scratch his eye on things or cats. No allergy that I know of. I think the eyedrops were an antibiotic.(from a canine opthamologist LOL).

They go out for walks in wooded areas.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

My weight has crept up on me through many years of negligence - over eating and not eating the right foods. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.