Skip to content
Asparagus?
tnmist posted:
Ya'll are talking about asparagus...I thought I read the thread it may have been in but maybe I missed it. Please post again about what you did...roasting it?? Would love to hear. Is it on the recipe site/page or something? I should have done a search, but I didn't and now I'm going to bed, but that sounded awesome...Please share it again. Thanks!
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jean4u responded:
Misty, I made roasted asparagus for the first time. I used olive oil (the spray kind like Pam), a large cookie sheet lined w/foil, sprayed the foil lined cookie sheet. Put the washed, ends trimmed, asparagus (whole pieces) spread out on the sprayed foil. I sprayed the asparagus with the olive oil, then seasoned with salt free seasoning (Mrs. Dash), garlic powder and onion powder. Preheated oven to 400, turned asparagus maybe 2 x's. Took about 20 mins. Watch for browning and that's when done.

This was so good I could eat this for a snack! I can see where this would be good on a salad or in a wrap.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb when My stove gets fixed I am gonna try that roasted asparagus sounds good . I do roast butternut squash and that is really good roasted
other than that I have little experience with roasted vegies I steam most of mine ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, sorry to hear about the stove going out on you. When we get alot of things breaking, I swear there is a technological gray cloud over our house. Please make it go away! I read, though you have a warranty on the stove, so that is good. DH & I bought a washer a couple years back and I never get the warranties, but he insisted. Turns out we used it to replace the panel and knob that controls the water levels. We discovered this after only a few uses.

About the butternut squash, do you put it in the oven whole, or cut it up? Do you put anything on it, oil or seasoning?

Barb

Hi Barb I cut the squash in half clean out the seeds and place it on a foil covered sheet that was sprayed with butter flavored spray I use Emrils sometimes I turn it over and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon halfway through takes about 45 minutes it originally goes in cut side down with a few knife pokes to let steam excape
I have done it with sliced sweet potato too ...
today I boiled and mashed my sweet potato since I can't use the oven It was surprisingly delicious I added just a tiny bit of real butter and that sprinkle of cinnamon yummy..

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Good Sunday morning to you, Judy!

I will have to try those acorn squash. I have seen where people stuff them with a ground meat mixture, like a stuffed pepper. I made stuffed peppers with ground turkey, onion, black beans (drained), corn and diced tomatoes.

So you are getting by making cooking adjustments until oven is fixed. Good for you.

BTW, that squash and sweet potatoes have alot of vitamin A and that is good for our eyes. At my last eye exam the dr. mentioned to eat alot of foods with A. Sweet potatoes are on my regular shopping list, now.

Barb

You bet Barb that sweet potato butter nut squash and the acorn squash the acorn isn't as rich in A as the other 2 but I like it too .. so it has a place in my plan .. also spinach has most vitamins of any vegie and kale is also great all these things are great for my eyes . I have my food plan designed to fix my eyes who knew it would also fix other things too ..?
I also eat the yolks in eggs because they also have lutein that is great for my eyes ..
It was good Norma gave me a tip on boiling the sweet potato although by the time I do that again my stove might be fixed I made extra so that Monday I can have the left over sweet potato make dinner easier to cook on the day of repairs
that nasty pound I gained the other day is gone and took another with it so I am happy today about the scale ..It had to be fluctuations ...there is no way I ate enough to repound any pounds /

Good Sunday morning to you too

Judy, good-bye to your extra lbs.!!!!

WTG!

Barb

thanks Barb it feels good to get whatever that was gone
down another 1/2 pound today Yippy I was really worried that I was slipping too much .. Hugs Judy:)

Judy, I know a couple of pounds is not a big deal, but it really starts to make us wonder like you said are we slipping too much. I know when I saw 2.4 over, time to go to work! I had a breakfast with veggies, Eggbeaters, and V-8 and tea....good start.

Again, good work Judy!

Barb

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Glad to hear the scale is being your friend again, Judy. I know you'll be glad to get back to cooking in your oven. I use my toaster oven a lot since i'm only cooking for one and I hate to heat up the big oven to broil just one chicken breast. I hate how much counter space it takes up though -
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
LOL, I guess I'm going to keep this discussion fresh by recycling it.
Back from the dead.....ASPARAGUS?
ok, last night I FINALLY got around to making the roasted asparagus. I used a sprinkling of garlic powder and some lemon pepper along with the olive oil.
Made an entire rimmed cookie sheet of it and could have probably done more, if I'd had it.
My very picky NON veggie eating , stuck on his MAN FOOD bf came out and looked at it as it was cooling. Asparagus? He says.... Why yes, I reply..... he says I've only ever had it boiled, so I said try this.....Just try it, if you don't like it , I'll eat the rest of your piece.
He ended up eating that and about 6 more stems, AND was looking longingly at mine while we were having dinner.
EVERYONE loved it. Smash hit.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks, Barb, and everyone. Can't wait to try it. I have asparagus on my grocery list now, ha.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, you're probably too young to remember this...but there was a commercial on TV about some baked goods, anyway the saying was "Nothing says lovin' like something from the oven!" Didn't know it would come from asparagus!

Thanks for the feedback.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Nope, Barb. That's my era too. I googled it (of course!) to make sure I was right, but it was a pillsbury commercial. I think it was for their cinnamon rolls.
LOL
huggs
k

No, I'm even old enough to remember pan frying clear marbles or cat's eyes to make em crackle on the insides.... The original Slinky commercial.... Slime in a small garbage can.... and actually using Silly Putty to "pick up" the Colored cartoons in the Sunday Funnies.... Yep, I too am old. ;.)
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've always been a little chunky and it never bothered me. But now I'm 55 and in the last 10 years I've really packed it on. But some of i...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.