Skip to content
Taking prednisone again
beautifulbuffalo posted:
When evevr I take this medication I gain weight. I take it for broncio asthma. It loosens things up for me but doesn't help my weight. I can't find a zumba tape so I've been dancing with my grandson and his cartoons.
BB

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi BB, I googled it, found this link to utube links, at the corner of each you will see how long the video is. Easily downloaded onto computer for FREE.
http://www.google.com/search?q=zumba on utube&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
BB , as for the prednisone....
Read this.
http://arthritis.about.com/od/prednisone/a/How-To-Manage-Weight-Gain-From-Prednisone.htm

Corticosteroids make you gain weight through fluid retention. Best ways to fight fluid retention..... Drink even MORE water and decrease your intake of sodium. You absolutely MUST NOT just give in to the idea that your meds ALWAYS make you gain weight. Stay accountable, do your exercises, drink your water, eat right and even HEALTHIER while on them... Just absolutely do not let this be an excuse to gain weight.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim and BB those are really good links I learned something from the prednisone link you can control your weight while on it . I did gain some weight while I was taking it for cronic asthma But when I was younger and taking it I didn;t gain any more than 4 pounds on it ..
as post menopausal taking it while I was in the process of gaining weight anyway of course it helped me gain a little more but my eating habits did the most damage. Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

norma_j responded:
Hi BB, I know exactly what you mean with taking prednisone. Every once in a while I have to take that nasty stuff. When I do I really have to watch what I take in and I always try to drink a little bit more water. I wish there was something else that could fix all but as my doctor says.... "There Isn't" .... My smoking for 30 some odd years causes me to have to use an inhaler every day and if I catch a cold, you can guarantee that I will be on steroids to get rid of it because it settles into my lungs. Like Kim says watch the salt. it is hidden everywhere in processed foods.
Norma SW 222/ CW 206/ GW 150

If at First, You don't Succeed, Try, Try Again!!!!

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

jean4u replied to norma_j's response:
Norma, Good that you quit smoking. I did that for 10 years and was a very heavy smoker. Thank goodness we stopped!

I constantly battle with sodium. That is my downfall. I don't add it, but it seems to be in alot of foods.

Barb

jean4u responded:
BB this may be duplicate post. Just wanted to say do your best and feel better!

The other board buddies have sent you some good support!

Barb

P.S. Let us know how you do.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I recently retired and am trying to adjust to the slower pace of life. I have gained a bit and am trying to get a routine going to become more active...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.