Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Advise for the "weight" lorn
mog1026 posted:
I really don't know what to do next. I have been stuck at 213 for two weeks. In January I was losing weight at 1500 calories. Each month I've had to take it a little lower to move the scale. I'm using the cycle between a half and an hour a day, and that has to be my primary exercise not a warmup because I can't walk right now. I have tried eating 1000 to 1100 calories a day and still nothing. I hit 212 a few days by eating even less but I can't sustain that and read that I shouldn't anyway. I'm eating only whole healthy foods, but I really don't want to dilly dally unnecessarily for health reasons. Is this to be expected? And does anyone have advice? Thanks guys.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 213.2. GW 165
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kathy second try to answer you last one got lost
I was telling you to increase calories once a week to 1700 or 1800 cals then drop to 1400 to 1500 for a few days then do it again . this keeps your body guessing at how many cals it has to work with .. Now this should work to break a plateau
the kick is it is a great way to be on the journey anyway . this is increasing healthy foods do not add junk
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh thanks Judy! I will try that. It actually sounds like fun! Because I need to eat. I'm buddying with a friend who wants to lose weight too and we are using totally different methods and she has not gotten stuck. She never gets hungry. Like yesterday she had some sushi, some olives and a few slices of prosciutto. Way fewer calories than I had.. I ate my three squares a day. It makes me doubt myself when I don't lose.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 213.2. GW 165

jean4u responded:
Kathy, sorry to hear about the stuck zone. It happens. I'm sure I gained weight at times that puzzled me. This IS a journey and your body is adjusting.

Judy has some ideas. I don't count calories, I try to eat low carb and eat alot of veggies and fiber. I do have low calorie and high fiber snacks like the air popped popcorn (5-6 cups).

Let us know how you do.

Can you move your arms? Maybe do arm circles and reaches over head. That would give you some cardio and maybe help burn calories. I find that ANY additional movement I do helps my losses.

Hang in there!

Barb

tnmist replied to mog1026's response:
Sounds like good advice there...I'll have to remember that at my plateau...Will be waiting to hear how that goes, Kathy.

Personally, and I know I'm the crazy one here, because I live a sedentary lifestyle (work at a computer 8 hours a day/night), I only eat 2 meals a day. If I need something later, I'm retraining myself to limit it to fruit. My goal is only 2 meals a day (the ole "eat like a king at breakfast" deal), nothing in between meals, and lots of water...Not there yet, and I've been bad this week about not eating at night ---Kim, yes, that is hard to get into the habit of doing, especially for night owls. That's why it's so hard to "just" do 1 or 2 things at a time...I need to get to bed earlier so that I can HAVE a morning and have a breakfast in order to be able to stop eating by 7 p.m. (for me), AND get my water in so that I'm not up during the night because I was drinking too late in the evening, LOL. Oy. It all seems to tie in.

Well, this morning I was forced to get up early (3rd day in a row, and tomorrow will be 4, for one reason or another), and so I have a loaf of bread baking and I made scrambled tofu for breakfast with red peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, nutritional yeast flakes, tumeric, chives, etc. I've fooled my mom before who thought I had given her scrambled eggs, ha. My brother-in-law thinks tofu is a 4-letter word, but if I hide it in something (the bread I make uses 1/4 of a container/brick/box of tofu) and tell him about it later, I love the look I get, heheh. My ultimate goal is to have a totally plant-based diet. I grew up with a "meat-and-potatoes" father, so I know. I also know that when I was vegetarian I was doing okay losing weight and when I started eating meat again I know that contributed to my weight gain. I'm not pushing it or anything - everyone is different. Just saying that for me my ultimate goal is to go plant-based...

Aww, I'm sorry. I'm rambling here and off topic for this thread..Didn't mean to kidnap the thread. It's just that I liked this post and I have a few minutes before work, so I landed here..

Hang tough, everyone!
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

totallywiggedout responded:
Kathy,
What Judy is suggesting is called Caloric Cycling. You can google it and find the whys and how to's.
here's one example....of course your daily caloric intake won't be as high, adjust as necessary.

What is calorie cycling?

Calorie cycling is a method used for weight loss, weight maintenance, OR weight gain depending on your caloric intake. Simply put: You eat a different amount of calories each day but stay within a certain average for the week; some people even do monthly averages.

An example of calorie cycling would be my current plan:

Sundays: 1800 calories
Mondays: 2000 calories
Tuesdays: 2800 calories
Thursdays: 1200 calories
Fridays: 1500 calories
Saturdays: 2100 calories

Weekly average = 1829 calories per day or 11,400 per week

The theory behind calorie cycling is that it keeps your metabolism guessing by not letting it get used to one caloric intake or another.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

totallywiggedout replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, could you please go onto our recipes in Resources and post your bread recipe? Some of us might enjoy something different like this....
Thanks
huggs
k

Oh, and if you can't ramble here, where can you? LOL
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim calorie cycling or the wendy plan the wendy plan
is based on weight watchers so calorie cycling would be best
Unless of course you are on weight watchers point system/

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u replied to tnmist's response:
Misty, great breakfast recipe with the tofu. That nutritional yeast is on my "to get" list. I have to make a trip to a health food store as it is not available at my regular grocery stores, or even GNC (which seem to be on every corner). I heard of people sprinkling it on popcorn and will have to try it on my air popped popcorn.

The longer I continue my healthy journey, the more I am gravitating to plant-based foods. Definitely having smaller portions of meat when I do eat it. Also, finding that my favorite part of a meal is usually the veggie. LOL

Got to ask....how long of a time were you a vegan and why did you start eating meat again?

Barb

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
Hi, Barb. Thanks for your reply. I can post the scrambled tofu recipe if you like, no pressure, LOL. I didn't list quite all the ingredients, but that was the gist. I've tried sprinkling the nutritional yeast flakes on popcorn and didn't care for it, but I have friends who love it that way.

When I was losing weight in the past and being vegetarian (not vegan), it was a time when I lived out in the boonies for 3 years at my mom's place. We helped each other out. She was ill and eventually had a heart valve replaced, and I needed a place to land for awhile. There literally wasn't anything close by, and she had over an acre to take care of, and we just never brought meat into the house to cook but kept it simple, and the weight was falling off. Now I have had to store those clothes, sigh.

Oh, and I do refer to my goal as plant-based versus vegan because there seems to be a whole spectrum of what "vegan" is, down to people not wearing any leather and that sort of thing, and that word tends to conjure up all sorts of things in people's heads, ha.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Misty, very interesting how we "evolve" to certain eating styles. Also interesting about the spectrum of what "vegan" means and ways of life. I think of myself as more the plant-based/style eater. I don't have anything against the hunter types that eat what they hunt. That is something about those who won't wear leather. I guess people do things for different reasons. I like to have choices. I don't even like that, that one politician is telling people what size soda they can have....just me.

Yes, I think the "Scrambled Tofu" recipe would be nice. Please post on the Recipe Link. That would give some of us who aren't used to cooking tofu some ways to do that. I can see where the scrambled recipe would be nice in a wrap or with brown rice. I probably would cook up a batch and use through the week .

Barb

P.S. Really like it when an interesting recipe comes my way!

Okay, I will...Like your idea of a wrap!
Misty

Misty, I am a "preparer" and "batch-maker"....I cut and chop and cook to have healthy foods for me. I found it is worth the effort to have something like your "scrambled tofu" in the fridge and put it on some steamed spinach or in a wrap with veggies....pays to be preprared!

Now, I do not make the effort to do this each day, i.e. I make about 5 gallons of air popped popcorn to have "on hand"....my grab & go food about every 5 days.

Barb

Barb, it sounds like you have a great routine! Thanks for sharing this tip.
Misty

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb I used air popped popcorn in my early days of my journey too and started using it like you pop ahead and store in the gallon bags . It was much easier to have that popcorn as a snack when it is already popped//
It helps when I have the hungry horrors

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have lost 701bs before many years ago. I am now about 85lbs overweight. I don't have any health issues except my weight. I really want to be at ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.