Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diet Help
Jans43 posted:
I am 70 years old, I've had a heart attack and a stroke in the past 2 years. I also have a leaky valve. I do not smoke. I need to loose 50 pounds and need help on what to eat and how much to excercise.

rohvannyn responded:
Even though that's different for everybody, welcome aboard! We have some folks here in your age who can give great tips. The main things to remember when starting out is, pay attention to what you eat, and try to move more. Gentle exercise as first. Do your best to limit processed foods. Take small steps, things you know you can stick with. Celebrate each success. And keep coming back here because you will get awesome advice from the great people in this community... I know I have! Welcome aboard!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy responded:

Hi Jan welcome aboard
since you have had a few health problems has your doctor
suggested any special plan for you like the Dash diet ?
personally I am doing what I call a nutrition quest. I avoid processed foods and eat mostly fruits and vegies some nuts in moderation and lean meats I use fat free dairy and get my fats from nuts and avocados also try to eat 100% whole grains.
I am also in my 70s 71 to be exact
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Jan, due to your health issues, I would check with you dr. and get a referral to dietitian and a clearance for what exercise is OK for you.

Good luck!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Jan, Welcome!
Like everyone else, I suggest speaking with your dr about what type of exercises you can do without causing troubles with your heart. My guess is that walking is going to be high on his/her list of "good exercises".
It's good that you want to change your diet, but diet and exercise go hand in hand. It wouldn't be impossible to lose weight just by changing your diet, but it would be easier and more beneficial to your health and your heart if you combine it with daily exercise.
The best advise for how and what to eat for heart disease comes from The American Heart Association and The American Diabetes Association. The heart assoc , for obvious reasons and the diabetes assoc for further menus that further decrease your intake of sugars and less than healthy carbs.
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/

and

http://www.everydaychoices.org/eat.html

You have probably already been told by your dr to reduce sodium intake, eat no or less fried foods and to eat more raw fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats.
Start by reading the labels of everything canned, bottled, or boxed that you tend to eat. Where possible, find lower fat, lower sodium and lower sugar items to substitute them with. If there are no other options that are healthier for that product, try to make your own from scratch using whole grain pastas , or rices and more nutrient dense subs like sweet potatoes instead of white, sodium free seasonings like mrs dash for anything with salt, stevia/agave/honey for corn syrup or reg sugar.... etc. Make your portions smaller and drink LOTS of water. Suggested amount of water intake per day is 1/2 gallon at least.
Start a food and fitness planner , log your daily foods and exercise and you will see where you need to really make changes in your lifestyle to accomplish what you need to to be healthier.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
[img width="398" height="304" class="img" alt='Get your new body in 12 weekd or less = /> http://tinyurl.com/NewBodyInLessThan12Weeks Cyber Monday Special Offer Extended: get all additional up sell programs under our special fan offer !! Join thousands of people all over the globe who made this amazing change using our worldwide top seller !! Due to the new SOPA act, facebook might block certain links rendering them as unsafe or spam. If you see this notification just click "ignore this warning" or "this is not spam"...the link is and will always be perfectly safe ! Share to spread the word !' src="https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/560253_512258885498307_1555103636_n.jpg">

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
I tried to add a photo and it didn;t work got that goggly gook instead sorry
Hugs Judy:)

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
LOL Judy.... goggly gook sounds like something I'd come up with.... like what I call that sticky rubber cement stuff you can rub from some packaging which I call "box boogers"
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

totallywiggedout replied to Jimmy133's response:
Thanks Jimmy, but we don't suggest diet pills here. Specifically if a person has had heart problems because of the inherant risks to a person's health.
We tend to adhere to "healthy, nutritious" options that may take longer to lose weight, but will help get and keep our bodies stronger and healthier, longer.
kim

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old with a ten month old daughter...I have been heavyset all my life and as i got into high school my weight dropped well ive been going...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar's effect on your body.
An hour and a half long but worth it. I will watch this multiple times until I know it by heart. Sugar leads to the immediate formation of ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.