Skip to content
Air-popped poppin'
mog1026 posted:
It seems like a lot of you like air-popped corn for a ready to eat snack. I have tried it in the past and found it really dry and pretty tasteless so I have used the 100 calorie microwave snack size bags. I'm wishing, however, that I could use the air-popped version because it is so much healthier. Do you put anything on it for flavor?
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212.8 GW 165
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Kathy, I spray my air popped with butter flavored cooking spray as it falls from the chute. Then you can "flavor" it with just about any combo of seasonings.
Try .... stevia and cinnamon stevia and light salt garlic powder and a little parmesean chili powder curry powder and a little unsweetened coconut flakes raisins with some nuts and cinnamon/stevia cajun seasoning or any Mrs Dash would put a kick on it too.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

itsashayduh responded:
In the stores they have this stuff that you sprinkle onto your popcorn. I use it all of the time.
Just look for the ones that are better for you. The one that i like is a white chedder. And with how little i put on my popcorn "just enough to barely taste" the calories really wont add up.
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

j9celeste responded:
Hi Kathy

I have a real problem eating tasteless popcorn as well...just like those plain old rice cakes. I also use the butter flavored cooking spray and many seasonings. My absolute favorite is dill weed. I also like garlic powder. My dad always made popcorn with dill weed and it's just one of those things that stuck

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 256 GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to j9celeste's response:
Celeste, I've never tried popcorn with dill.... gonna have to try that.
thanks for the idea
Btw, how is everything going for you lately?
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

rohvannyn replied to j9celeste's response:
Dill on popcorn? Awesome idea! We used nutritional yeast in my youth. We actually mixed it into mac and cheese, along with some tuna, for added nutrition. Anyway, butter flavored spray would make the flakes stick nicely and the yeast has a slightly nutty nice flavor all its own. A little difficult to describe but good. It has good vitamins and protein in it.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Well these are good suggestions. I would never have thought of some of them and I've never heard of nutritional yeast. Is that the packet that goes into bread? As it happens I have some leftover dill in the fridge which I normally don't stock so I might have to give it a try. Thanks you all!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212.8 GW 165

tnmist replied to mog1026's response:
Hi, Kathy, No nutritional yeast flakes are deactivated and not to be confused with the yeast used for making bread rise. The link below probably sums it up as well as anything. It's an added boost to one's diet for some nutrition, especial B vitamins, I believe. Anyway, hope this helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jean4u responded:
Kathy, I munch on a flavored string cheese stick and then a mouthful of the (tasteless) popcorn, I also slurp a lemon flavored Crystal Light (22 oz.). I was doing the 100 cal packs, too but too costly an didn't like the salt or the bad popping of it.

I have those sprays and flavored (cheese) sprinkles that they sell in the popcorn isle, too. My daughter likes them. I have put the hot peppers (from the jar) on, too.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
OH! gotta say, although it didn't help my new diet strategy since it was a late night "crave-in" . I did try the dill popcorn.....; mmmmmmm delish! It's definitely a keeper and as long as I make room for it (earlier) I will for sure be having it again.
Thanks again for the ideas
huggs
k

tnmist replied to tnmist's response:
Er, that is: No, (comma!) nutritional yeast flakes are deactivated....boy, what a difference a comma makes. I'm sure you figured it out, but it was bugging me.

Dill weed! Gotta try that! Hmmm!
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim what kind of dill did you use? I usually have my (snack) 5-6 cups of popcorn even before dinner. Sometimes I eat it in the car, like on the way to bowling or running errands (along with the 22 oz Crystal Light and cheese stick).

Barbt

Barb, all I did was use my butter flavored spray and sprinkled in some Mccormick dried dill . Nothing special. But it was really good which makes sense because I love dill potato chips too.
NOW all I gotta figure out is if you can sprinkle cider vinegar onto popcorn without "deflating " it and turning it to mush, cause I also like vinegar and salt chips so popcorn would be good too, right??? lol
huggs
k

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, hmmm....maybe put the vinegar into one of those misters and a spray would give just enough flavor but not "deflate" or soggy it up. When I did the popcorn and hot peppers, the peppers were those sliced to put on nachos. It didn't soggy the popcorn, even though they were in liquid. I did dry them on paper napkins. Did burn my mouth, though!

I will try the dill. I have put kale chips in with my popcorn.

I really think the popcorn snack is a lifesaver for me because I am a volume eater. Back when I was starting I was filling up on white pasta after my meals.

Well just keep on keepin' on!

Barb

Barb, I was thinking that too, about the mister. I may have to pick one up next friday since I don't currently own one. Otherwise. Until then, this dill is my new fave way to eat it.
huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm at least 80 lb overweight, have both rheumatoid (rheumy) and osteo arthritis. I quit smoking after 25 years (was only 30 lb overweight then) b...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.