Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this a place where I can discuss ....
pinkisnancy posted:
My weight loss journey with bariatric surgery? or Am I the one people rather not hear from on this board?

jis4judy responded:
Hi pink
We don't at this time have anyone that has had the surgery for weight loss But you are welcome to join us to share your victorys and struggles we can try to help where we can .
But none of us have any knowledge of how your journey works
I myself am eating tons of vegies to help my body heal itself I know you have to eat smaller portions so my story wouldn't help you much ..
wishing you good health and a smaller body Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

j9celeste responded:
Hello Pink

In my opinion, I would welcome hearing from anybody who is having or has had a weight loss journey! Like Judy said, it is a different journey but all of our journeys are different. Welcome.

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 256 GW 165

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Pink.
We welcome everyone. As Judy said, we don't have anyone else in our community that has gone the surgical route to lose their weight, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't be interested in your personal journey if you'd like to share it.
We offer alot of support to eachother here. I believe we are the best definition of "community" that you can get on the web, and that's no lie.
As Celeste says, everyone's journey is different and when we bring our different prespectives to this board it enables others to pick and choose from these different ideas for their own lifestyle changes.
We are all works in progress, even those of us who are in maintenance. And part of the "process of progress" is gaining information.
Welcome aboard
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

pinkisnancy responded:
Thank you! I appreciate the welcomes... there seems to be very few groups out there for those going for the surgery, even though its a 'last resort' option for me. I will introduce myself better in the morning, I've spent the day working on my veggie garden out back... also a new 'first' for me. thank you again everyone.
Pink

mog1026 replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Hi Pink! It may be a last resort option for you but I applaud the fact that you hit the wall with your weight and made the brave decision to do something for your health. I know that this surgery is NOT the easy way out and now you have to do the same kind of work and use the same kind of self-discipline as the rest of us to be successful. This should be a good place for you because we are all learning to change our relationship with food. It's a psychological, emotional and physical challenge. You've gotten a little help with the physical component, but you'll still have to deal with the other two just like the rest of us here. So welcome and make yourself comfortable
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 210.8. GW 165

abnersmom responded:
Hi Pink! Of course you are welcome here! Like everyone says we all do this a little differently, but we all have the same struggle with our weight. We might not be able to offer much help in the way of eating advice, but we sure can support you in your efforts. Looking forward to hearing more about you.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Pink! I just wanted to add my welcome. The people here are really supportive. Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 308.0 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure

jean4u responded:
Pink, You are welcome here. We are a very diverse group. I think sharing YOUR journey will help others, too. Like you say, hard to find support groups. I think there are alot of diet groups, but not with the diversity offered here.

Hope you are a regular poster!

Barb

pinkisnancy replied to jean4u's response:
Thank you all again. It helps just knowing I can talk freely about the changes I am going through, and having to do a 'face-down' with food on a more extreme level. I am 48, and 310lbs. I've had to battle my weight since I was 12 years old, and my mother told me I was 'too fat for any boy to like, so you better loose the weight or be alone for the rest of your life'... yes I know, great mom huh? So with that baggage, I have tried every possible weight loss/diet program that was offered, most only helped me to loose lots of my hard earned paychecks.

The choice to finally go to surgery wasn't easy for me. The thought of being cut open to 'fix' my demanding stomach was not a pleasant one. It took a year for me to research and talk to others who had the surgery. I wanted to know all I could about what could go wrong, and why it could... as well as what would go right, and how to keep it going in the right direction. I wanted to talk to those that had the worse time with it, and the best... I wanted to know what I was in for.

I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired... injecting insulin and Victoza, taking metformin, blood pressure pills, beta blockers just to keep my heart beating right.... cholesterol statins... and tons of vitamins... at a 'bargain price of 1,850.00 a month.' I think the injections are the worse... yes they balance out my blood sugar levels, but they have a 'side effect' of uncontrolled weight gain. I've gained over 30lbs on insulin alone! And the medical community cant understand why over weight diabetics get depressed easily?

so after a year of research and pestering those that went through the surgery, I spoke to a doctor about this... then was introduced to a bariatric surgeon. I was told I would have to face 10 tests by different doctors to see if I even qualify as a medical necessity for the surgery, just to get my insurance to agree.

5 months later... I have been approved with 'flying colors' and scheduled for April 24th.

This surgery is NOT a fix... far from it. What it will do for me is reduce the size of my stomach to approximately 2 oz,, cutting absorption rate of fats and calories... and vitamins (so I have to take multivitamins for the rest of my life after wards). I will also have to learn to eat again.. like a little baby, starting with clear liquids for the first two weeks, moving to 'cream liquids' like milk, yogurt, puddings, then pureed foods, then solids. never going over the prescribed 2 oz of food per meal, for 6 meals daily. which I can not drink during eating.. only after 30 minutes after the meal can I drink anything.... so there are extremes I will have to learn to live with. And yes, frankly I am a bit nervous about this change... not of what will happen, but what could... if I fail to stick to the letter of the dietary changes.
Its why I'm here. This fear. thanks for listening. Pink

jis4judy replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Hi Pink It sure sounds like you are well prepared for the journey you are going on..You know what is required and that's a great thing . most of us are just feeling our way through our journeys trying different things when something doesn;t work ..You have a clear path with restrictions the fear is a good thing it might keep you on your journey ..
I think we all have fear in our journeys I have a fear of regaining the weight I think that fear is what keeps me on my journey

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Pink. Your health is at risk. IMHO this surgery is for you.
I don't normally ever condone bariatric surgery. It is and should be used only when a person's life is at risk, not only of obesity but of complications resulting from obesity. It's just that since the option hit the market, too many surgeons are allowing obese people that are healthy and active enough to lose weight naturally, to have the surgery. It is in these circumstances, the easy way out for lazy/unwilling people and their even lazier doctors. The surgeries were initially intended to be used to save lives, for last resort cases in do or die situations. NOT as a means to drop 100 lbs to get into your wedding dress, or that bikini for your anniversary, to literally anyone who can afford the proceedure if their insurance deems it NOT medically necessary, as the case so often seems to be anymore.
It is a major undertaking. And I'm glad for your sake that you DID have to go through the 10 different doctors and their testing. You will be in a better frame of mind going into it, KNOWING that this is literally your LIFE on the line. Most of the blogs from the "easy way out" people confirm that they didn't really have realistic ideas of what all the surgery entails.
I'm also very glad that you have gotten informed on your own and haven't just relied on what your doctors are willing to impart to you about what you will have to deal with post surgery. Doctors are great at the "medical jargon" part but forget to include the psychological things that you may encounter. Finding bariatric support blogs too, will definitely help with some of your fears.
For sure though. We will help you wherever we can.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist responded:
Hi, Pink. I haven't jumped into the conversation yet, but, welcome. This is a great place for support, that's for sure. I have a good friend who embarked on the lap band procedure, and even though we approach health from different places, we still support each other. So, I think you will be just fine here because, as others have said, we all approach our journeys differently.

I've read a lot of information and books about "Western diseases" and I've been to seminars, etc., and many of our diseases are reversible, so, as you become healthier it will be a joyful experience, too, because more than likely you will be able to cut back and/or stop taking the meds. I've read many stories of people taking all kinds of meds and feeling miserable despite them and then taking charge of their health and turning things around.

Is bariatric surgery an option I would choose - no - but that doesn't mean it's not the right choice for you. You have definitely done your research, and you are going into this with your eyes wide open. That speaks to your intelligence, too.

I've returned to vegetarianism, and my ultimate goal is to have a totally plant-based diet, but I'm sure others here think that is extreme, LOL, but we all support each other anyway. I mean, my "lap band" friend thinks I'm nuts, but we still get along and respect each other's choices.

As for your mother, I'm so sorry that was the sort of environment you grew up in. I've had similar experiences. I'm in therapy for several reasons, and I'm slowly retraining my brain to discard the lies I grew up with and believe truths. Truths like, I do have worth, my opinion does matter, I can say "no," stuff like that.

Best wishes on your journey, and I would love for you to keep us posted.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jean4u replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Pink, thanks for being so honest about what changes you will have to make, about the eating and vitamins. I wish you good luck on April 24th! Have a stong and positive mental attitude about your future. Sounds like you are taking control and making your life better for YOU and that is all we should do, too.

Let us know how you do.

Barb

itsashayduh replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Hello Pink!!

I do understand in a since what you are going through. I have had 3 people very close to me go through this surgery and it has changed their lifes. The most dramtic change was my step mother. She lost over 210 lbs with the surgery. She is not very fit and health. It took her about 2-3 years to get where she is but she is a differnt person and she feels amazing. She no longer has to take shots nor take 5-10 pills with every meal just to keep her organs in check.

I hope everything works out great for you!
Please keep us posted on your jorney, we would love to hear all about it.

Oh, and WELCOME!!
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've come a long way. But there's still a long way to go...

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.