Skip to content
elliptical and low fat/cal weightlossQ
An_251499 posted:
I use my elliptical trainer and increase my time and incline every day and eat rarely more than ^ 600 calories per day . I am using the tracker here on webmd. I eat the same basically every day calorie wise but no elliptical on Sundays. That one day and I am back up 4lbs I lost the week before. Any suggestions? I hate to feel like the only way to lose weight is to eat so little and workout so much I am not sedentary the rest of the time I clean floors every day and have some other chore or yard work to do most days.

itsashayduh responded:
You might want to talk to your doctor. To to any sort of activity on only 600 calories is not healthy and not recomended.
All that will do in the long run is possible make you thin but also very unhealthy.
So talk to your doctor, because with just simple vitamins and minerals, you would be suprised at the weight that could come off.
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

rohvannyn responded:
If you eat too little, your body will go into a conservation mode where it will not only try to hold on to every pound but also store fat very easily the minute you eat a little more.

Why? Because at that low an intake, your body thinks you are in the middle of a famine and is trying to store fat to keep you from dying of starvation in case you can't get anymore food.

If you feed your body an adequate amount of food, but still a little less than you need (like 2-300 calories less), as well as making sure that food is nutrent dense, then your body will have the materials it needs to build strong muscles that help you burn more fat.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

kalimiller responded:
Eating that few of calories is putting your body into starvation mode. Your body is not getting enough energy and will hold onto every single calorie that it can get - resulting in little to no weight loss.

You should be aiming for nothing less than 1200/day or so. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a more detailed answer - I'm short on time.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 198

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi An_251499,
You say that you are using the tracker here on WebMD, but obviously , you skipped right over the part where you are to stay at or near the "suggested caloric intake".
The tracker now gives you your "goal" alotted calories per day to begin with, then subtracts the amount of calories you are burning from the consumed food calories so that you basically tally out near your goal daily calories of say, 1200 or whatever it suggests in order to lose weight healthfully.
Literally if you are only eating 600 calories per day, but burning what I'm guessing is at least 1000 cals or more, then your body will turn to depleting its more nutrient rich resources, like your muscle tissue and vital organ tissue. It leaves the fat stores for "later" when all else is so depleted it goes to these fatty emergency rations.
In other words, you are starving yourself silly and making yourself ripe for all sorts of illnesses.
The score here is that you must eat to lose weight.
The simple facts are that you need to eat enough nutrient rich healthy foods to maintain what your body burns AT REST , plus enough to fuel any other exercise that you do. Just not over that.
Hope this helps some
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

itsashayduh responded:
Kim is super right
Below is an artical i found

Severely slashing calories leads to weight loss, but the lost weight includes precious muscle mass and poses health risks -- and most people end up regaining the weight plus extra pounds.
"Rapid weight loss by critical calorie restriction," May, the author of Eat What You Love and Love What You Eat, says, "causes water, some fat, and muscle loss, which ultimately decreases metabolism so the body needs fewer calories to survive." It also causes a shift toward a higher percentage of body fat, which increases the risk for metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
Don't cut calories below 1,200 per day. Otherwise, you will struggle to meet nutrient needs, fuel your activity, and satisfy your hunger. Keep in mind that when you lose weight quickly, you tend to pack it back on with more fat and less muscle, which lowers your metabolism and calorie needs even more.

Read more at
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-dangers
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

blondie454u responded:
I agree with everyone else. You need to eat more to keep from going into starvation mode.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there! I've been working on my weight and moving toward a healthier lifestyle for the past few years. I'm raising my two kids on my own, a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.