Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ready for Change
Mlewis0917 posted:
I finally reached the point of being tired of being heavy. I currently weigh 240 pounds. Today is week 1 for me and it has been difficult. I have changed my eating habits and place great importance on becoming healthier and not losing weight overnight. My goal weight is 140lbs and I understand that it is going to take time to get it off. I have to admit that I do feel better. I guess the trick is starting. I was so ashamed that I gained all my weight back that I had to get over the shame and start. Just start.

justmejust responded:
Welcome Miewis0917, So glad you posted and joined us here. I have been here awhile, others have been here longer, others are newer. A lot of great advice comes from Judy and Barb and everyone.

The trick to keeping the weight off is to lose it in a plan that you can stick with after the weight is lost. Eat more whole grain brown rice, rolled oats and more fruits like apples, grapefruit and especially more fresh vegetables like spinach, romaine, kale, red peppers.

Try to focus on one small change and each week or so try another small change. Add a 5 minute walk, then after a while walk 10 minutes, etc.

I am a work in progress. It is a lifestyle change for me and is taking a while but still better than the alternative of staying like I was and not caring. I care now about my health.

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

totallywiggedout responded:
Mlewis, you are right. Just start. It's that first big step that is the hardest to take because we have to commit ourselves to the beginning of the journey.
Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life, and welcome to our group.
The first thing we try to suggest is to start a food and fitness planner either here , Fitday.com or Livestrong.com or wherever you prefer. They are good tools to use to get and stay focused on losing weight and getting healthy.
If you still need to start one, put in the least active choice for daily activity in the initial log. Because this will then work out the closest and best goals for you to shoot for on a daily basis when it comes to caloric input and exercise output.
Log your foods and your exercise for a few days without doing much else, just to get accostomed to the logging.
Start by looking at what your usual foods and condiments are, and try to make healthier choices for them. Like low fat, no fat, low sugar , low sodium, reduced calorie or no calorie versions if available.
If you like to cook, pull out your recipes and focus on making them lighter in sodium, fats and calories. Boost nutrition anywhere and everywhere by adding more raw veggies and less pastas , grains or fatty meats. Whole grain pastas or grains are ok, just NOT as the main course. Too many calories. Use them sparingly as INGREDIENTS to your recipes and this will cut a bunch of calories per serving.
Check out our RESOURCES here on this blog community, over on the left hand side.... once you sign in you can access it. There you will find our recipes blog and some exercise links that some of us have tried and liked.
again, welcome aboard
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u responded:
Hi & welcome. Think progress not perfection!

Barb

jis4judy responded:
Hi welcome aboard
did you fill out your profile story yet ? I had a similar experience when I was in my late 30s I was about 40 pounds overweight I went on an eating plan that was supposed to make me hit 40 fabulous...It was similar to the plan I am working now the difference is this time there is no end to my journey . I continue my good eating and exercising habits to maintain... this time ..I had 100 pounds to remove I am happy to say I have removed 97 of those pounds I am thinking my extra skin weighs about 6 pounds so I reached goal maybe even went past it a little..
been maintaining the last 9 years
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

tnmist replied to jis4judy's response:
I'll move my welcome to this post! Welcome! LOL. This is a great community. Everyone is so supportive.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

abnersmom responded:
Welcome! It's wonderful that you recognize that you already feel better when you just started. I think it took me longer than that to start feeling the benefits. We share our victories, setbacks and tips that have worked for us here and it really helps me on my lifelong journey. Glad you have joined the group!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u responded:
Replied to your other post.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I just graduated from university with my Bachelor of Science in Psychology! Unfortunately, that's not all I gained from college lol. Hopefully I w...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.