Skip to content
Trying to be positive
rachael2011 posted:
Hi. I am just disgusted in myself. Was doing so well with the exercise until Thursday (when I put it off til Friday and something came up so nothing) and was doing well with the food til last night (don't even ask what I had). Why, why, why do I do this to myself? There isn't even a good excuse. For me, life is OK, no emotional things at the moment. Just the food was there.
Someone on here put that will power was like a muscle that kept getting stronger, and I had been using that to get me through tough moments. Last night, that muscle deflated. A pack of goldfish crackers were my Kryptonite and it snowballed. They didn't even taste that good! Why can't I stop once I start?
OK. I know it's over. Its a new day. I can get back on this and I WAS doing pretty well. My official weigh ins are Friday anyway, so that's lots of time to undo the damage I did last night. This definitely won't be the last time I slip up, but the slip ups will get less and less. My will power muscle is getting stronger with each time I tell myself "no" to unplanned eating. I will ask my guys if they want to go for a long walk on Sunday.
OK. Am breathing. Thanks a lot for listening. Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 305.2 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure
FirstPrevious12NextLast

abnersmom responded:
Rachael, First of all, good that you came here and vented about it. We all slip, you know that. I did too yesterday. Played bridge with some friends and the hostess had chips and salsa sitting out, snacks on the card table, etc. It was downhill from there. So, here we are with a brand new day in front of us. Let's be strong and move on and I do mean MOVE! Let's do this!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy responded:
Oh Rachael been there done that I have had a few day like that
taking days off of exercise and then something derails the next day .. I have had at least 3 days in the last 2 weeks where I had binge like episodes once with wheat thins cannot trust myself with them in my house anymore thought I had them under control But I don't. next with pistachios cannot leave them off my plan because of their nutrients I need for my eyes I have to control them and last night with banana bread. I have to get this under control as well .. The easiest way to control these things is to keep trigger foods out of your sight and away from your home.. so in 2 weeks I had 3 days or evenings of binge like behavior the only comfort I have is they are smaller binges than I used to do ... and they didn't make me gain any weight yet . I know if I continue to keep this behavior I will eventually gain all the weight back of this I am certain...
So I am glad you have decided to get stronger and exercise that self control muscle I am also going to start a self control routine myself ..and try to exercise that muscle of mine too ..
I have to start talking to myself more I think it has something to do with my hubby being around in the evening since he retired my routine is getting a little too flexible . I have to get it going again...
sorry my answer became a rant
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Rachael, I think this is a "light bulb" moment, you can come here to vent. I did and do that and it really helps me to do that, just getting it out is part of the self-forgivness part of taking ownership of the slip then we can move on. NO beating up self allowed here and no passing of judgement here.

Sharing this struggle helps give us the power we need to keep going when it gets rough, which it does.

I recently read about how a baby learns to walk and how this process is just like that.. They start by crawling, they will stumble and fall but they don't give up and they get stronger and can eventully walk longer and longer but they still will have stumbles sometimes. Just like us.

Chips are my downfall. My DH will buy bags and bags of them. So my Kryptonite is here, too. I have caved and started the bag and could not stop, either. My mouth gets all salty and after awhile they don't taste good but I can't stop eating them. So I try to eat healthy and put "blinders" on to those chip bags.

You just had a little stumble. You will survive. You will get stronger the more and more you make better choices. This is NOT a failure, failure means giving up. Go look at that CATS vase and count your symbols of success stones. You/we CAN do this!!!

P.S. This is a really good post. I learned more sometimes from the struggle posts than from the "oh I'm doing everything perfect" posts. I mean I'm happy for those that are going along good, but sometimes it really helps to know there are other out there, like me, who are having a tough day. Thanks!

P.S. I like how you have your plan to go for walk on Sunday!

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, nice that you got out with friends. How cool is that to play bridge, you big smarty-pants! LOL Yes, leaving our homes put us in the "danger zone" so to speak, but you know you can get back on board, too. Yes MOVE! (me, too)

My daughter and I are going out to dinner to Outback Steakhouse (DH is away, so the cats will play. LOL). I looked up their menu online and I have a plan. Looks like I can go pretty low-carb and they have alot of steamed or grilled veggies, too. So a treat and I will eat light until then. Totally NOT getting that evil Bloomin' Onion (fried onion) appetizer which I used to get all the time (very greasy). Funny that doesn't even sound good to me anymore, either.

Here's to the brand new day! Let's make good choices.

Barb

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, Do you think your routine got a bit off due to all the sad news on TV? I know there is only so much of the "news" I can take in a day. My DH has CNN on all day. I go to another room and when I watch TV it's during my elliptical time and I don't watch the news. I like to surf online each morning about what's happened....funny my DH can watch CNN for hours and I can check online in 2 mins. and know more about what's important in the news than he does. I don't think he really tunes into it it just is a pacifier and soothing to him when he's watch it but then he wants to argue about it with me, which I won't do.

Yes Judy, do the "self talk" you CAN do this. Funny, I looked at a box of Wheat Thins at the grocery store and thought and thought. Came to the conclusion, my daughter would eat a few and I would finish off the box. Haven't had snack crackers in the house for a long time. Don't miss what I can't see. Can't eat what I don't have.

I had some breaks in my exercise, due to appts., just happens, but the sooner we get back on schedule the better, huh.

I really think you have been stressed by the Marathon incident more than you realize. I mean you almost were there, and being only 25 miles from it during the lockdown and all that must have had you on high alert.

Want to hear something funny you can relate to with a DH that can't hear.....after our power went out on Thurs. due to high winds and heavy rain, the powere was back on after 5 hrs. and you know how you got to re-set all the electrical stuff. Well, the burglar alarm was beeping, really annoying beep. DH was standing right by it and could not hear it. It was flashing so when he saw it he knew it., too. Now here's the thing, when he had the code set about 10 years ago (BB, Before Barb) he did not write the code down! So when it goes off it has to go on and on for about 15 mins.. He finally found the book on the alarm and found out how to turn it off. I made a file folder for this so it won't get lost. Just another day..........LOL

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
I think you hit on something Barb I may be off schedule because of the bombers I didn't get to watch any of my programs all week it was all news all the time ..even the stuff I was recording turned out to news and more news
Today I took a few steps to get myself under better control
measuring everything and a ton of self talking
Here I was blaming my poor Hubby. that's pretty funny that he is hard of hearing too My hubby can't hear anything very hard to carry on a conversation with him good that you made a file for him he should be thanking you ..

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Ha Barb, most people today don't even know what bridge is!!

I'd like to say that I had a better food day yesterday, but I didn't. Ate out again and that is always tough for me even when I prepare myself to make good choices. Did get a good walk in though.

Today, my goal is to keep the food under control (self talk for me too, Judy) and get another good walk in. CANNOT, no, no, no, have another bad food day.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

Judy, So important to get back on your schedule. I'm sure it's not too far off, but still just enough for you to want to reel it back before those unwanted lbs. start to show themselves.

Barb

Debbie, I do know a few people who play bridge. One of the gals I worked with years ago used to go to bridge tournaments (her and hubby). I started playing Euchre at a senior center, but then got away from it. I like Euchre because simple!

OK, today is Monday....I, too ate out two days in a row. The 2nd day a bit over on the carbs. I had the Italian cheese bread from Little Caeser's. I think my game plan is today, eat clean (fresh fruits and veggies) and a big protein shake with fruit for dinner. I did my "damage control" day last week, even had 5-6 cups of the air popcorn and a string cheese and Crystal Light and dropped the 2 lbs.. I think for me, I got to drop the couple of lbs. I put on ASAP.

Here's to making good choices!

Barb

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Amen, on the damage control and good choices, Barb! I did well yesterday with food and exercise. Today will be good; it's always easier on a work day because I'm back to my routine. Weekends are what I need to work on again. Have let myself slip way too often lately. Am up 2 lbs. today, but that will be hopefully go as quickly as it came. My goal is to NOT put them back on next weekend. I fooled myself into thinking that I can splurge a bit on the weekends, but I can't do that EVERY weekend or I'm going to start keeping these couple of lbs. on.

We are having a community yard sale on the weekend of May 4th. So, my plan for next weekend is to get up in the attic and organize sale stuff in addition to my usual weekend chores. Hopefully keeping busy and being mindful of the poor food choices that I made this past weekend will help. Planning ahead is critical for me.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Deb I used to think my routine would be easier if I still had a job to go to.. it sort of regulates you day so you have to plan .. I did really well yesterday broke a few patterns and started different approaches ... to maybe mix things up
and try to get my nutrients from a different sources . started having popcorn again for whole grains . cut out my yogurt and had hot cocoa instead . nutrients were good and calories were lower, I may alternate those things some ..

Debbie, I hear ya! I go up easily 2 on the weekend splurges, too. If I do that and don't take it off during the first few days in the week I can get lackidasical and slide. Just think if we do that and gain 2 per weekend that will ead to 8 per month. You got to be kidding! Right?

Hmmm, eating my string cheese (2), 5-6 cups of air-popped popcorn, apple slices and a Crystal Light. Not starving but not eating anymore of that Italian cheese bread, either!!!! LOL

Barb

Judy, in some ways I think it is easier to work a healthy plan because we have all the time we need in retirement to cut and chop those healthy fruits and veggies (and make my popcorn LOL). Also, now I can walk and do elliptical. Go bowling and dancing. I would not have the time for these things and/or I would just be too plain tired.

Barb

blondie454u responded:
At least you have admitted where you messed and now you know so you can fix it. This is just a slip. I hope you have a better day today!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old with a ten month old daughter...I have been heavyset all my life and as i got into high school my weight dropped well ive been going...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.