Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Loss of motivation
itsashayduh posted:
Does any one have any motivation tips?

In the last week i have not worked out, not once. Dont get me wrong, i want to work out, but i just dont. I set the time aside and end up just sitting on my butt or do house work. UGH! I swear, every time that i set out to lose weight, it is the motivation part of it that gets me lost.

Any ideas?
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

mog1026 responded:
Do it, do it, do it! Do it before you have knee trouble! Before you have diabetes or worse! The younger the better! I never had a doctor who got tough with me, who scared me, who told me all the trouble I was courting. I wish I had because I think I would have listened. And if you want to eat more than lettuce for the rest of your life then do as much exercise as you can, otherwise you will gain it all back plus a little more. So put on your shoes and get out the door!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 210.8 GW 165

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Sash. Don't wait until you feel like doing it. Do plan exercise ahead of time...like you would schedule an appointment. "Schedule" an amount of time that isn't too hard in an activity you find at least tolerable. Even better if you LIKE it. For myself anyway, I find I actually need to go somewhere like a track or a gym. If I have to do it at home, it won't happen. And keep going back. Get that momentum going! It will improve your mood and your sleep (as long as its not too close to bedtime). I find that on days that I exercise, I make better food choices. I think it's that momentum about taking care of yourself. You can do this!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 305.2 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure

jean4u responded:
Great advice from the others.

This is going to happen. Motivation is not just going to drop from the sky. Seriously we wait and wait.....not gonna happen.

Get a kitchen timer set it for 15 mins. when it goes off you get going on your workout. I would do the same thing....the day would go and it was another day without a workout. Make a plan and you are allowed to kick your own butt. That's what I had to do! LOL

Having a routine creates motivation to want to continue the pattern/habit.

Barb

jis4judy responded:
Hi Sash
maybe set time aside to do something you hate and then take a walk instead . personally I would rather go out for a walk than almost any of the house hold chores
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so Just do it!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

abnersmom responded:
Sash, Exercise was the hardest part of this journey for me. Like you, I would let it slide more often than not. I still lost weight, but wasn't really doing all that I could for my health. Amber posted about how she fits in all her exercise around her busy schedule a while back and it inspired me to do that too. I started walking on my lunch hour instead of waiting until after work. What a difference.! Just that little change got me motivated. Now if I miss a day, people at work are asking why I'm not walking that day! LOL! Yesterday, I had lunch plans, but couldn't wait to get my walk in when I got home. WHAT??? Who am I??

Everyone has given you good advice. Mine is to find the time of the day that works best for you and do it until it becomes a habit that you don't want to miss!!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

totallywiggedout responded:
Morning Sash, I hope you are jogging in place while you are reading this..... that's my input for motivation today
No really, I read this discussion yesterday and wanted to do some soul searching on my own, and then some googling...
I too, like everyone else have periodic bursts of actually WANTING to do some exercise then have the pitfalls of lack of motivation.
Note here, beware of the two day monster. After two days of lazing around, it's even harder to get up off your butt. It's like motivational quicksand......so get up and do SOMETHING.
Everyone is telling you to "just do it" and in essence, yep, you sometimes just have to bite the bullet and get er done.
I found this quote while searching.

The problem with motivation is that many of us believe it's something that will come to us if we wait long enough...that someday we'll wake up and finally want to exercise. Rather than believe in that fantasy, maybe we'd all be better off by realizing that motivation is something we create, not something we wait for.

You said that you lack motivation to "exercise" but get up and do housework instead. Here's what you need to figure out. Judy would rather walk, me too. I LOATHE housework. If I were rich , I'd have extremely attentive (and probably thin) housekeepers, and a cook, oh and maybe a butler, lol.
But if housework IS your thing and you LIKE it, make it count. ANY activity ,over and above breathing and sitting around digesting your food, is EXERCISE. IT ALL COUNTS.
So if you like it, do some more. Or, better yet, instead of just standing/sitting to fold your laundry, do it on the kitchen table or counter, taking clothes from the basket at one end and walking to the other(or around to the other side) with each piece to fold it. Or every time you get THREE pieces folded or hung, put them away then walk back to do three more, etc. Doing dishes, put on some fun music and DANCE. Dusting, take a couple of sashays around the sofa to swing or big band music.
Listen to music from forever ago , like AT THE HOP or even THE CHICKEN DANCE and DANCE to them before you sit down again. Or like Judy, Pick a favorite team in any sport and do jumping jacks for every point won in celebration and something LESS fun, like pushups maybe ,for every point for the OTHER team.
If you watch tv, commercial time is exercise time. Get up off your duff and jog in place for the whole commercial time. NOT by half either, do it right, and do it hard, lol
Remember. Exercise isn't PUNISHMENT, it's REWARD. It doesn't have to be "normal" , make it fun and childish. God knows that we have to be mature about everything else far too often.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

itsashayduh responded:
Thank you all so much for the pep talk!!
Like i said on my first post, the motivation is the one thing that i never keep up on.
But, i am all signed up so Zumba tonight and i have already paid, so i have to go.
But as far as making my house work an exercise routine, i really think that would work. I can clean my house like no other and i enjoy doing it.
I think that this group is the one thing that will keep my motivation headed in the right direction rather than having no motivation at all.

Thanks again
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

totallywiggedout replied to itsashayduh's response:
I hope you danced your little heart out, Sash. Good for you to take the initiative. But don't think of your zumba classes as a have to. Deep down, if you really didn't WANT to, you wouldn't. Try to get some more girlfriends involved and go for fruit smoothies or yogurt parfaits after. Make it a cheapy girls night out focusing on health for everyone. The more the merrier and the more you'll think of it as FUN and as a REWARD.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jean4u replied to itsashayduh's response:
Sash, WTG on getting going and changing your thinking. You can do this!

You know sometimes I don't feel like going to ballroom dancing. It's alot of work to get ready....got to do the hair and face and on and on. But once I'm there it is alot of fun. I always do good on the scale the next day (that is if I don't snack when I get home at 11:30 p.m.)

Just "PUSH THAT TUSH"!!!

Barb

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi all, I am a new member, mid forties and about 54 lbs overweight, I tried everything, including gastric bypass (lost about 100 at first) it's be...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.