Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Raspberries?
jis4judy posted:
Can anyone explain to me why raspberries have 64 calories fresh per cup and if you freeze them it adds 200 calories according to fitday
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

FirstPrevious12NextLast

jean4u responded:
Judy, that's why I don't count calories! Sounds like something is "off" on that increase in calories.

I just go with a cup or so of fruit per serving once a day and then smaller servings after that, like 1/2 apple or pear.

BTW, can anyone tell me why it is so hard to find unsalted pistachios? Meijers has salted ones, salt & pepper ones, chili ones, even sugary(Yuck) ones. But no plain ones. I mean some people have to cut down on salt! I haven't gone to Whole Foods, yet. Sam's Club has unsalted almonds, at least they used to. But I would really like to get some unsalted ones. I know they do exist because I had them a long time ago but don't know where they were purchased......I was in "nut heaven".

Barb

abnersmom responded:
What? I think that's a glitch, Judy, unless they added some sweetener when freezing. Freezing food (without additives) doesn't change their caloric value.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Barb I use the salted pistachios because I get so little salt in other parts of my plan Maybe I will check Costco to see if they have any unsalted when I go on Tuesday.
It has be a glitch because there are a few listings frozen without sugar still adds calories a bit over double the calories 130 cal 1 cup frozen no sugar . these things make me kinda nuts Maybe I will skip the calorie logging for a while..
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie even frozen vegies have a higher calorie value than fresh and I got that from the bag of plain frozen nothing added vegies.

totallywiggedout responded:
Judy, this is only a guess. But I think that most fruits that are packed then quickfrozen are first lightly poached in "light syrup" sugar water to preserve the color. It's such a light coating per volumn when they do it, that I think it actually is an "acceptable" amount of sugar to not have to claim it on nutrients list.
If you freeze yours from fresh without adding anything, you will have the same amount of calories per serving as fresh.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Barb, best price I could find on the net, is this one at this link.
It sounds like alot, but it breaks down to about .47 cents an ounce, free shipping and it's SIX 12 oz packets, which makes 72 oz for that price.
http://www.amazon.com/Keenan-Farms-Pistachio-In-Shell-Unsalted/dp/B001M07460/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367106401&sr=8-2&keywords=pistachio nuts unsalted

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist replied to jean4u's response:
I keep an eye out for the same thing, Barb. Very frustrating to have salted nuts when you just want the nut, and especially pistachios, for some reason! Will have to check out the URL Kim found. I don't generally buy food on line...LOL
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim that's almost reasonable I buy my nuts at Costco and they have 48 ounces for 14.99 so 72 ounces is just a little more expensive than my Costco nuts

pinkisnancy replied to jean4u's response:
Jean, I think Trader Joes carries unsalted, but I know you can order them via online at nuts.com and a few other places, reasonably priced.

Pink
Starting out at 310-04/21/2013-Bariatric Gastric-Bypass 04/24/2013-And then the follow-up. Fingers are not crossed, because this doesn't have to do with luck... it has to do with ME, and I am Pink.

pinkisnancy responded:
If you are freezing them yourself, stick with the caloric count of the fresh. It sounds like they are going by store-bought which they add sugar to, usually in the form of corn syrups and such.
Starting out at 310-04/21/2013-Bariatric Gastric-Bypass 04/24/2013-And then the follow-up. Fingers are not crossed, because this doesn't have to do with luck... it has to do with ME, and I am Pink.

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Good grief, Judy. I had no idea. That makes no sense to me at all. Why would freezing them add calories if you don't add anything? I always thought frozen veggies nothing added was almost as good as fresh. Thanks for sharing this info.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Yes Debbie I wonder if they add something to frozen that we are unaware of . that kind of thing makes me crazy
read the labels on everything . On my frozen raspberries label it is increased slightly 1 cup raw fresh 64 calories the package on frozen is 1 cup frozen 70 calories So what kim said maybe true they use some kind of sugar water wash before freezing. I have no idea what they are adding to the vegies that increases calories. it still doesn't explain fitdays
adding 200 cals to it so custom foods here I come.

jean4u replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Thanks everyone! For the unsalted pistachio resources. I haven't given my "ID" (Investigative Discovery) effort, yet. LOL But it is stuff like this that gets me going. I mean they are coming up with every spice imaginable on these pstachios along with SALT! I am really getting tired of the taste of salt. That's why I decided to make my own air-popped popcorn. I got tired of those 100 cal bags and all the salt and stuff in them and they never popped right.

Trader Joes will be a go-to!

Thanks mucho.

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, when I buy frozen fruit for smoothies I try to get "no sugar or sweetener" added, but it's like the salt on nuts, real hard to find without.

Read those labels! Lots of hidden cals. out to get us!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

im 20 and at 215! i was 120 only a few years ago, i feel like i cant lose weight i dont even know how i let myself get so big i just want to stop bein...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.