Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
BAD FOOD CHOICE TODAY
justmejust posted:
OMGosh,

I am tired today so what did I do? At target I picked up a small bag of mini chocolate covered Little Debbie doughnuts for $1.99. Cheap but I ate most of the bag, and they do not taste like chocolate, or doughnuts, or even food.

I am certified crazy. 8-O Why does it have to be so hard to stick to consuming nutritious real food? Don't even want to get on the scale or exercise. BAD ME. I know, bad choice, not bad me, but still. ARGGH. And I know the drill, try again, but I keep caving to the wrong food.

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

mog1026 responded:
Yuck Laura! If you're going to have an indulgence you need to raise your standards! LOL! Find some Godiva, quick. You'll still feel guilty but it will be quality guilt. This is my advice. Get yourself a chocolate chip brownie Larabar (or something similar) and stash it in your handbag for just such a crisis of willpower. It's still 200 calories, but it's just dates and nuts mostly so you can tell yourself you got some nutrition with that guilt. I've been carrying mine around for a while.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 208.4. GW 165

jis4judy responded:
Hi Laura you are going to have to be aware of these choices
and take control they a sound awful and not worth it probably full of trans fats too . get back on healthy eating at the very next meal ... put that behind you and remember that they tasted lousy
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Oh Kathy I love your idea I am a Godiva person if I am gonna slip I slip on something totally worth it . I also like that you have a healthy choice around to awesome Idea /
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Laura,

I agree with everyone else. If you're going to have something bad make it worth your wild! During the holidays I will only eat my sister in laws pumpkin pie. Not that crappy store bought pie!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout responded:
Laura, now that it's getting warmer, it'll be a bit harder to just stash a chocolate sweet in your purse without making a mess.
Kathy is right, Larabars may be the best option.
I checked back on our recipes to chk for chocolate ones and copied this for you.
Girl. I KNOW you can't cook worth a crap...LOL but even YOU can do these if you have or can borrow someone's food processor.
Hot Fudge Brownie LarabarsBased on the recipe for Fudge Babies .
  • 1 cup walnuts (120 g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (220 g) (I love SunMaid dates, as they're much softer.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder (or even Dutch cocoa)
  • optional: 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (I always add it)
  • optional: chocolate chips or even a piece of a chocolate bar or baking chocolate
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

justmejust replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Anything I can substitute for dates. I can make them tonite, but do not have dates...
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

totallywiggedout replied to justmejust's response:
I've made the banana nut ones with raisins, and I made some blueberry pie ones with Blueberry flavored craisins, so I think as long as it's sticky sweet it'll work. The recipes always say if its a little dry add a drop of water.... but I've not had to. With yours being chocolate, maybe a drop of old, cold coffee...
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
these need to be stiff like silly putty for the "dough" to be right. I rolled mine out into 'tubes" then cut in half, then half again and so on until I got 8 small bars, which I flattened with a can of soup. Then wrapped in individual pieces of saran wrap then stored in zip lock in fridge.

justmejust replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Ooh, I can try banana and raisins if I have them...hm, yuck or yum...
Laura

totallywiggedout replied to justmejust's response:
Laura, if you do bananas they MUST be dried. which you can do in the oven, just google it. ALL the fruits in these things need to be dried fruits so that they don't get moldy
huggs
k
and yes, my banana nut ones were made with banana chips, raisins, walnuts, some uncooked rolled oats, some all bran , and cinnamon with just a sprinkle of salt. YES it did need the salt for some reason to bring out the flavor in the banana. You do the fruits first then add the nuts then the other ingredients to make it mushy doughy.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
These bars are so completely flexible with what you can put in them. As long as you have a sticky fruit, like craisins, raisins, dates, dried cherries, dried blueberries, etc as the "base" fruit. You can do anything you want with them.
So flexible in fact that I've been tinkering with the idea of making up a big batch of lightly "candied" grapefruit peels, orange peels, lemon peels and lime peels. I think they would work as the base for a tangy citrusy bar, maybe with dried pineapple and some coconut and macadamias , cashews or almonds.
Like i said, anything that is still sticky when dried. Apricots, apples etc would be too dry for example, but would be good as the "minor" rollplaying fruit in these recipes.

jean4u responded:
Laura, I get it, I once ate a box of 100 cal. Hostess Twinkies. So that was 6 of them, kinda defeated the 100 cal. idea. LOL They were past the expiration date, too, so they were sticky and yucky, but I managed to get them down.

I don't buy them anymore and don't even crave them. But there was a time that I did. Now I have the Fiber One chocolate bars and I think the added fiber helps keep me full. I also have chocolate Cheerios and bag up 1/4 cup of them with 6 almonds in snack bags. I make these up ahead of time so they are grab-n-go. Nice to crunch on.

You can do this!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello everyone, I'm a 46 year old mother of a son, two dogs, and two fish...LOL. I'm married and really need to loose this weight for myself. ...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.