Skip to content
Month's end
totallywiggedout posted:
Being the last of the month. It's time to share my experiences with this new thing I've been trying.
I fessed up just after Easter to having slipped down the slope well slathered with Easter Bunny poop( ie. Jelly Beans).
The Sunday following Easter, I topped back out at 187.6..... and figured I'd best be looking at how I was eating.
My bf and I had been discussing meal replacements. I mainly wanted to focus on Protein and Fiber above all else. Mainly because these are the things that metabolise slower and keep you fuller longer. Right?
Ok. With this in mind we started using the Ensure high protein low fat shakes for lunch 3 days a week and the other two, using the Cliff's Builders bars as meal replacement.
Did it work as well as I wanted? Well I went from the 187.6 to 179.6 and have been steady for a few days on that number. So I guess so.... The downside of these of course is the carbs. If you don't want the carbs then it isn't for you.
What I found is as follows; Ensure 210 cals, 23 grams of Protein, Cliff's Builder's bar 270 cals, 25 grams of protein
first day with the Ensure shake. Both vanilla and choc are really good. They need to be ICE cold and shaken well before drinking.
I had chocolate. I drank it in sips followed up with water to take up about 20 min of "eating" time. Was full and the fullness lasted about 3 hours. My bf can drink one with his water and work the rest of his shift, another 4 hours without feeling hungry.
The next day, we tried the Builder's bars for lunch. I had the chocolate one and my bf took the choc peanut butter one. The choc is really rich, but kinda dry tasting. Sorta like it's made with protein powder. Not bad, just different. For sure, after the first bite being the size of one I'd take from a Snickers, I had to take smaller ones. I just about choked trying to get that bite chewed up and swallowed, too dry for big bites. Smaller bites, bit bigger than nibbles, followed by LOTS of water. These things have quite a bit of fiber too. I just about couldn't eat the whole thing. Had to push to get it down. Just seemed like too much. But in order to do the research I ate it. Personally, after trying the choc peanut butter (which is admittedly creamier and tastier, but for me, would cause problems with wanting more) the chocolate one is my favorite of the bars. keeps you full for 3-4 hours , no sweat.
BUT, and herein lies the rub. These things are sweet. And if you tend to want salties and sweets or MORE sweets after eating your sweets, this is not for you.
It's sort of a balancing act. I've caught myself wanting to be naughty the last couple of days. So I'm making sure that I'm pushing to get my walks in.
Really not sure if its the exercise or the way I'm eating but perhaps my plateau is at least in remission, lol
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 180.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn responded:
I've been thinking about doing meal replacements to (a) shrink my stomach size back down, (b) go easier on my stomach and (c) possibly cost a little less. I spend a LOT on food, even shopping bargains, because of the variety I need and because of my refusal to eat most processed grains. For a while I made shakes with protein powder (casein) and sweetened with stevia and though it's a pain in the butt I may start doing that again.

The Builder's bar is probably easier taken with a drink of water with every bite, I remember liking those.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom responded:
Hmmm, that's interesting Kim. I'm curious about the nutrition part of this. Please don't sacrifice getting your vegetable nutrition in as a means to get off the plateau. I am by no means a vegetarian, but I have changed my daily intake to mostly fruits and vegetables with much smaller portions of lean proteins and nuts. My biggest sources of carbs now are the veggies and my morning oatmeal.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy responded:
Hmm Kim I find that interesting I used something a long time ago called metrical I used meal replacement drinks for few weeks and lost 15 pounds about 5 pounds a week But as soon as I resumed eating normal at that time normal was different than now... I regained the weight plus a few pounds.
Are you going to keep this plan or get back to nutritional eating eventually , It doesn;t sound like anything I could do for life
Good luck Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy. I actually am getting more nutrition per serving, than I would with a regular lunch that I had been eating. The protein amount is just under the amount in 3.5 oz of chicken breast but with the adden nutrients it makes it even more healthy. I'd known about ensure forever , actually, because in its "clinical form" the basic ensure with full fat at 350 cals per 8 oz is what hospitals and extended living homes use for G-tube feedings with people who can't eat anything orally.
The Low fat ones I use are 210 cals per 12 oz and have just as many nutrients and even more protein than the reg ones. The Builders bars are almost exactly the same amount of nutrients as the Ensures are , just in solid form.
Unlike with most "shake diets" or the "cookie diet" , I don't use only these for my daily intake.
Only for either breakfast or lunch. One meal per day and the rest of the day is solids for meals and snacks. I am adamint that we continue with fresh veggies and fruits and some sort of other proteins. Like my bf gets his two scrambled with ww toast in the am and an Ensure or bar for lunch, then a regular dinner. I'm making sure everything balances out, just with the smaller, more protein packed lunch than normal, because I never would have eaten a whole chicken breast for lunch plus other things .....
I did this mainly because I was finding that I was skipping lunch quite often. If I get out and run around about that time, it's not uncommon for me to get lightheaded then realize it's 3pm and I hadn't eaten lunch or pm snack. I can carry the ensure or the bars with me and eat when lunch arrives and not be missing the nutrients that I so often was.
Believe me. I'm being very careful to watch that these are used as only PART of our daily nutritional intake.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
It's a good point you make, Kim, about the Ensure or the Builder's Bars making sure you actually eat breakfast or lunch. I have the same problem. I don't usually eat breakfast (bad, I know) partially because it's a pain in the butt to make and partially because I am usually nauseated in the morning and can't stand the thought of food. On those days when I take the extra time to make a protein shake I can at least drink that at work during the first part of my shift, and get some nutrition in me. If I could spend less on other food and save up to buy the meal replacements I might be able to do it. Maybe I could make a bunch of shakes over the weekend and just pour some out every day?
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh,
Knowing how you love your gatorade bottle.... I'd get a small one, dump that crap, rinse with bleach water and use it for my shaker. The night before, add your two scoops and water, shake and refridgerate. Then grab and shake as you get into car in the am. That way it's ice cold like it's supposed to be and ready when you are. I'm not sure if they would keep well for an entire week without trying to become yeasty.
Right now, I saw that the muscle milk light is on sale at GNC though. If you use just a scoop it's 30 servings for 19.99. to get the whole noted protein though its 2 scoops. But the calories are really good and still has excellant nutrition. I used to use the Banana creme and really liked it with water, but if you do go with 1 scoop, I'd mix in 1 cup of something like 30 or 60 cal almond or soy milk to make it richer, give even more nutrition and still be way under 200 cals.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179.6 GW 135

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good suggestion there. I used to love (get this) green tea flavored soy milk, but I've only found it one place at a price I could stand. Another thing I love is unsweetned all natural soymilk with cocoa powder, there is one brand that makes it like that and it's awesome! But expensive. I could probably mix my own. I do have a few extra gatorade bottles, I mix mine in those reusable aluminum bottles but the little gatorade bottles would be good. Another thing could be those 20 ounce generic vitamin water bottles, perhaps the fluting would make things shake better.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good to hear, Kim. Our health and nutrition are the most important things.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

kalimiller responded:
Kim,

I'm sooo glad that you posted this. I've been trying to think of SOMETHING that I could do to help out my lunch situation. I always forget to bring a lunch to work and end up having to go somewhere to buy food. Or I end up just not eating lunch. And then I come home so hungry and irritable and it is just awful!

I got some low fat protein shakes and now I'll have something at my desk that I can just pop in the fridge when I get here in the morning to have later on when I do forget my lunch. I never would have thought of protein shakes. And that is just one reason why you are so smart
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 194

totallywiggedout replied to kalimiller's response:
Kali,
Jeez, lol. I'm not all that smart, I just have more "life experience" than you right now. I worked in home healthcare for a long time, also worked in group homes for mentally disabled children, and a Closed head injury rehab facility. Some of these people had gastric feeding tubes, and some, nasogastric tubes. Every place I worked it was always Ensure that was the only food source for these individuals. So, it's been a trusted brand for , well, forever, lol.
I'm glad that this idea helped you. But, you see, that's the MAIN reason for joining groups like this. So many people involved that there is bound to be ideas floated out that others can incorporate into their journey.
As for the Builders bars which are also good for on the run eating, I have found that my local Big Lots carries them right next to the cash registers in the candy bar section and here, they are only 1.00 which is even less than a regular candy bar in most stores.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 178 GW 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi It's me-Miamama2 i had trouble with my password and had to create a whole new name but anyway-here is my story-I'm so ashamed to admit but...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.