Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise after hip surgery
Marie603 posted:
Walked a block and half yesterday with cane. Wow can really tell that I have not walked much in the past month. Anyone else had hip surgery can tell me how they added exercise to their day.

totallywiggedout responded:
Marie, did you have a replacement or a repair?
I had a terrible accident in Dec , 2005 . Crushed my left hip and splintered the thigh bone. They couldn't replace anything at the time because of the added trauma, they thought I'd die in the process... so they rebuilt my hip socket with screws and plates, then more plates and longer screws to fix the thigh.
Water exercise is the absolute best option. Because it gives you the most mobility and the least gravitational resistance. I strongly advise finding a rehab center that has a pool and gives "arthritis maintenance" classes. For a nominal fee you could get into these classes. Yes, they usually are older women in there and maybe a couple of men, but they are really FUN and good exercise. Take these forever if possible, not joking. VERY GOOD classes to get.
If you can't get into one, chk out the local Y or gym with pool. You can google water exercises Utube for arthritis maintenance and find out how to work the hip without hurting yourself.
The rehab people ALWAYS start you out on a bike, usually a recumbant one for about 5 min to warm up the hips. It's essential to follow some sort of warm up strategy so that you don't cause injury to surrounding tissue and tendons prior to any workout, even walking.
Otherwise, walking IS the absolute best form of post op exercise for strengthening your muscles to help support the injured area.
I'm sure you've had some rehab. Follow what they did as closely as possible and you'll be doing the best possible workout for yourself.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a newlywed (married June 2010) and my husband and I are looking to lead a healthier lifestyle. I am currently about 280 pounds, and would like to...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.