Skip to content
I got shorter
j9celeste posted:
Hello friends

One thing that I forgot to mention about my doctor's appointment last week was that I'm getting shorter! I have been 5'10" since I was 18-years-old. Now I'm 5'8.5"! Holy cow! I had to change my height on my Food and Fitness Planner to see how that affected my BMI and healthy weight range. Not only did those change, but my maximum calorie intake decreased by 19. That's a lot of calories when you're counting.

I guess it's not a huge thing, but I have always enjoyed being tall and the benefits of it (well, not so much when I was a teenager because I hated being different). It kind of concerns me that I'm shrinking but my doctor wasn't worried. Have any of you experienced the same? I am only 47-years-old (48 next week in case you're going to bake me a healthy cake ) and I have been through menopause because of my hysterectomy (sorry if that's TMI). I would appreciate your wisdom!

Our show is almost gone which is such a blessing, but it's only 30 degrees this morning....brrrrrrr!

Have a wonderful day everybody! Here's to our health!

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 255 GW 165

totallywiggedout responded:
Celeste,
As we age it's natural for the fluids between our vertabrae and our joints to diminish. This causes us to "shrink" a bit.
Inactivity also makes our bodies "compress". A body that just sits around, tends to make it easy for gravity to compact it. No joke.
Do some stretching exercises , like yoga, toe touches,or that morning Tai Chi to help keep your ligaments stretched and to keep the muscles surrounding your vertabrae strong to help maintain good posture and spinal alignment. This helps reduce shrinkage.
If you are taking or have taken meds in the past that may have caused your bones to become brittle, drink at least one full glass of milk daily to maintain strong bones.
Glad that your Spring seems to have finally "sprung". It's sorta late for your snow to finally go, but it's been an odd year so far for most states.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
Hi Celeste
Maybe you wore shoes last time you were 5'10"
I am 71 and I am 1/4 inch shorter than when I was a young woman... at one time They took my height and said I was an inch shorter that was because the assistant that did the measure kept hitting me on the head with that thing they use and I cringed so it gave a reading incorrectly because the following years I magically grew that inch back LOL You never know if they are reading it right But kim is right we do lose height as we age ,,
hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

j9celeste replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks for your replies!

Thank you so much for the info! I will look into some stretching exercises. I don't know if my bones are brittle, I've only broken bones once in my life and that was when our car got hit head on by another car that was going 80 mph. I know my calcium levels are always OK, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thank you for responding...I always appreciate it!

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 255 GW 165

rohvannyn replied to j9celeste's response:
If you don't mind hanging upside down, gravity boots or an inversion table are another option. If you have any extra curvature of your spine, or aren't standing up straight, that can have an effect too. An inch and a half is a rather large drop, but time of day can also have an effect because we get shorter as the day goes on! If you measure early in the day you will be a little taller because your spine will have decompressed during the night.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am very new to this and I am unsure of how to get started. I will be married for 30 years this Dec. I have two boys 28 and 25. I need to make a heal...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.