Skip to content
Food Addiction...
totallywiggedout posted:
I have often wondered if I did actually get some sort of familial addictive tendancy....
My dad was a "functioning alcoholic". He held a job, never called in sick, worked after hours painting houses, fished, hunted, played poker with friends.... but everyone knew. He hid half pints of Black Velvet in the kitchen cupboards and in the closet in the sewing room and in the bathroom vanity and in the closet in the bedroom and in the hutch in the dining room...... and would start his day with "nips" and would continue to do so throughout the day until bedtime. And sometimes if he had to get up to use the rr at night.... yes.. again. I can't remember a time during my lifetime that he didn't, so it was at least 35 years....
My oldest sister was the perfect example of "flower child". She dropped acid, smoked pot, took various pharmaceuticals.... even wrote home one time about how she'd tried "LUV" , a formaldehyde laced joint. Yes, the same stuff they embalm with..... Plus the alcohol, of course.....
I think I maybe have this food addiction, this sounds like me. Does it sound like you?

http://glo.msn.com/relationships/confessions-of-a-food-addict-1534831.story

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
Great article Kim It sounds just like me so today My addiction was on high alert I over ate a tad not enough to gain pounds but enough to make me think this could so easily get out of control.. My addiction was somehow triggered today not sure why could be seeing my neighbor today he lost his wife just before Christmas . he looks lost and I stare worrying about if we have enough saved if we need it for care later , h My neighbor said the at home 24 -7 care his wife needed in the last 2 or so months cost him 38,000 dollars.. never gave that a thought before
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy,
I do understand that social security allows for an in home care provider, must be liscensed or from a liscensed company, to come in a few hours a day to help with bathing and stuff. They do this because at home care is so much cheaper than institutional care. It may be worth your while just to check on this stuff before anything happens. That way , if need arises, you will both be prepared and more knowledgeable. Make sure that whatever you find out, you share with your husband. Make copies if you can of the information and file them in case a situation arises.
Also. If you have life insurance, Aflac, or private health insurance as main or backup, these will also help pay for long term care, whether in home or nursing home.
Noone really wants to think about their lives coming to that point, but they do. They all do. So it's best to be prepared as best we can.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks Kim
I will have to do some research and figure this out Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 responded:
Kim- Thanks so much for sharing this article. I read it and the reread it and then saved it to come back to. So much of it rang true. I truly believe that it is genetic. At least partly. It has to be more than just learned behavior. Plus it is the crap they put in processed foods today. Since starting this new lifestyle, I have been searching for some deep seeded emotional thing, a reason that I ate like I did and why it's such a constant fight (especially w/ certain foods). I keep coming up w/ zilch. In the past, I had blamed the fact that my mom used food as a reward and a comfort, that my dad made me clean my plate. What parent of that generation DIDN'T do that? Not everyone of that generation is a food addict. Before my bf, I blamed being lonely and then Will came along and that excuse went out the window. I blamed my mental health problems, and then I got treated successfully and I couldn't use that anymore. No mater what I blamed and the situation remedied itself, the binge eating continued. Keep in mind, I never would have blamed the food I was eating. That would mean I would have to give certain things up. What if the binging is an addiction plain and simple? It would certainly explain a lot. While I recognize it will be a life long struggle w/ food, it is a comfort that I don't have to try to "fix myself" anymore.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 305.4 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure

blondie454u responded:
I think my daughter needs to read this but getting her too is another story.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

abnersmom responded:
Great article. Thanks for sharing. I really relate to not having control over food. That's why I cannot have chips, or other salty, crunchy snacks in the house. I WILL eat them if they are there.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

justmejust responded:
Addiction is an unhealthy way to deal with the difficulties of life that we all feel. Being a human is a worthwhile challenge though, despite our frailties...
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

totallywiggedout replied to justmejust's response:
We are destined for Greatness.

huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi everyone, my name is Nidia, I am 31 years old, and I have been overweight my entire life, I have tried a lot of diets and exercise programs but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.