Skip to content
Calling all knee people!
mog1026 posted:
So yesterday was my big day to go to NYC to the Hospital for Special Surgery for a knee consult. I was pretty nervous. Sure that surgery would be discussed. My DH kept telling me that I just had to listen, that's all. Well I got a complete surprise. Gobsmacked in the face. By the way the place is totally amazing. A well-oiled operation that gives you great individual attention. I felt like I was in the right place for sure. And so funny as all us limping, walker using, impaired patients try to get out of cars, through doors, into elevators, everyone helping each other with a smile and a laugh. First I was sent to X-ray and then immediately upstairs into am exam room with the pictures up on a flat screen. The doctor came in and said he almost didn't need to examine me to tell me what is wrong, but he said pull up your pant legs. He pushed on one spot on my left knee and I cried out, pushed again on the other leg and I cried out again. He said that I have patellar tendonitis and I need to take a med for 60 days and have PE and then I should be fine. I said what about my arthritis, and he said it was minimal and not an issue. Sooooo different from what I have heard for 4 long months from my local orthopedist. I'm not counting my chickens yet but I am cautiously optomistic that I can work my way out of this. I am so sick of sitting in the house wishing I could really walk again. Cross your fingers for me please!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.4. GW 165
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kathy that's really good news the tendonitis is very painful but the meds should help when I had tendonitis in my shoulder the only thing that made it feel better was ice packs...removing weight by diet because it will be hard to walk with that should help take the pressure off the knees
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

tnmist responded:
Kathy, that IS good news!! Being cautiously optimistic sounds reasonable. Oh, I hope you get past this soon and back to better walking days! I understand knee pain.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

blondie454u responded:
That's great news! I hope it works for you.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rachael2011 responded:
Kathy- Fingers are crossed and prayer being sent up for you. That IS really good news that it may be something that can be handled w/ a med and therapy. Good about being "cautiously optimistic" too. Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 304.0 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure

totallywiggedout responded:
Jeez, Kathy, GOOD NEWS! congratulations on this discovery. Thank God for dr's who know exactly what they are doing, too. Give that man a BUD!
fingers, and toes crossed, but it doesn't sound like you'll be needing the extra faith. You are going to be well on your way to RECOVERY and walking pretty much painlessly before you know it!
HIP HIP HOORAY!
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
This is great news, Kathy! I'm thrilled for you and absolutely have my fingers crossed.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

j9celeste responded:
Hello Kathy

I am so pleased for you! It sounds like you found the right place to go. And how wonderful that you don't need surgery. That is great. Fingers and toes crossed!

Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous SW 286 CW 255 GW 165

justmejust responded:
Great news Kathy! You will get better, even though it will take a while. Did he say to raise your legs above the heart, and use heat, or ice a couple times a day?
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

mog1026 replied to justmejust's response:
No Laura, he didn't say anything about that, just meds and physical therapy. I'm stuck at the moment because I started the pills this weekend and I was so nauseous I had to stop. I spoke to his office today and haven't heard back yet.

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy, too bad about the meds doing that to you. I'm with Laura though. It doesn't matter which you use as a matter of fact, as my physical therapist told me, whatever feels best. Heat was good prior to workouts for me and cold after to take down swelling. Some people can't stand any cold so they just use heat.
Try the elevation too. I don't go above my head , but i do put a folded pillow under my knee when I lie down to read if it gets "touchy" or swells up a bit. This is also a good practice to relieve stress on your hips, pillows under both knees takes the weight of your legs off of your pelvic area.
Hope you get your meds straightened out so that they can be used to make your therapies easier.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jean4u responded:
Kathy, just responding to your post, today, Tuesday. May 7th. Back from road trip for Grand dau 1st Communion (went very well).

'Bout you, aren't you glad you went to NYC for that knee consult. Time well spent!

Patellar tendonitis, your DX and new "game plan". Hey, definitely worth your "college try"! Seriously, though I wish you well and it is worthy of seeing what the outcome is, without having un-necessary surgery.

This is really good news!

Barb

P.S. Is the pain lessening?

mog1026 replied to jean4u's response:
Okay this is my personal hell week. I haven't heard back from the NYC doc on some anti-nausea meds or a different prescription so that's still on hold. Knees are crunching. I'm back on aspirin if I have to walk much for the time being. Thursday I get a mammogram which is a big deal for me because I've had surgery after my last 2 out of 3. I dread the stupid thing. And Friday I'm scheduled for an annual physical. No wonder I can't sleep!

justmejust replied to mog1026's response:
Cancel your mammogram. You can reschedule it later. Too much on your plate right now with the tendinitis. Cancel your annual physical. Later reschedule it. Get the tendinitis healed. Don't take med. wait for new med. talk to your knee doctors nurse about nausea.
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

totallywiggedout replied to j9celeste's response:
Hey Celeste,
Everything ok on your end? Haven't heard so much from you lately. If there's anything you need. Chime in and let us help
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 178 GW 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Melanie and I am in college. Since I was young I was obese. I first realized I was overweight in 4th grade when the school nurse weighed me...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.