Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just starting
Victoriaohio posted:
Today I found this on line am 320 lbs and feel like I am dying each day. Ten years ago I didn't care and truthfully thought I wouldn't be here by now. I go to work, get dinner eat and go to bed. I have a tread mill and I am starting back on it, I hurt my knee during Christmas and am just now able to walk again without extreme pain. Going to see my daughter graduate this week and hoping to keep up walking up and down the hills and not get criticized so much I go into a depression--everyone has something to say about how big I have gotten over the years. I really want to feel better, at least to be able to walk from parking lot into work and not be out of breath. I was doing well from June til December last year when I fell. Ready to try again and monitor what I eat. Any suggestions on how to start small steps and build up?

abnersmom responded:
Hi Victoria! Welcome. First step would be to log your food on the food tracker here or on fitday.com. I use fitday.com and it gives you great nutritional info as well as calories. It's cumbersome at first, but once you get your foods saved it's easy. It keeps me honest and really helps me keep my nutrition in line. For me, getting the food under control was the first big step (sorry it's not a little step). I had to remove all my trigger foods from my house. I'm two years into this and I'm still tweaking and don't have those unhealthy foods in my home. Glad you have joined us on our forever journey. You'll get lots of support and great advice/ideas here.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Victoria welcome
It is good you are starting my first step would be to look closely at your eating habits and improve nutrition as you avoid most processed foods. Processed foods things in packages with labels have ingredients that make you want more and more so it is better to avoid them ... Make the changes and keep them for life . like milk if you use whole milk cut to 2% for a few weeks then cut to 1% for a while then to fat free and keep that change .. create your meals at home avoid the take out stuff ..
include a green vegie every day . these will all help You may want to do careful exercise . you could do leg raises and crunches in your bed if it is a firm mattress.. check in here everyday to report your progress and share your struggles too
it really helps to vent sometimes.
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Welcome, Victoria!
You've already taken a big step, by joining us here. Blogging does help and THIS particular community is more like a neighborhood full of good friends. Our own Cul de Sac, if you will.
We have a "secret stash" of great exercises ( links to free downloadable videos and stuff), and some super good recipes that members have tried and shared or recipe links we've tried and liked.... to find these, just log onto THIS community site and clik on the "Resources" link at top left of page. You have to be signed in here though, because every different community has their own resource page.
My biggest suggestion is cutting portion sizes... like with my new toddler plates pictured on the May goals discussion. Those small sections ARE the correct portion size for meats, and carbs, and the big one is the size for your salad or veggies.
Also, if you are like most people, eating pasta or rice means a mound of spaghetti then topped with sauce.... Reverse it and go lighter. Instead of ground beef use ground turkey or chicken, or sliced chicken breast , fresh tomatos with basil and garlic add some zucchini or eggplant, mushrooms, green peppers....THEN add just a few cooked WHOLE WHEAT or WHOLE GRAIN spaghetti noodles.
The same with something like that sweet and sour chicken or beef pepper steak recipe on resources... sauce with a lot of veggies and maybe a LITTLE Brown rice or pasta added for filler.
Point is...; CUT THE CARBS, lol
Drink lots of water (at least 64 oz a day)
Keep blogging, it does help. We discuss everything, not just our diet journey.. but if you have a problem, a wish, a goal, a victory.... It's all good here.
huggs and welcome aboard
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 179.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

justmejust responded:
Welcome Victoria! You have come to a great place full of supportive people. Endorse for posting, that is a good first step right there!

I started by walking to the next door neighbor's mailbox one day. Before I knew it I walked a couple boxes, later I walked 5 houses every day. After awhile I felt like going farther and by the end of that first summer it was a quarter mile to a half mile several days a week.

The next year I got up to a mile. And it all felt easy, too.

In 2012 I was up to two miles, then increased to near three miles. Was down 35 pounds at my best, about half what I need to loose. Slowly gained 20 back due to holiday treat eating, and holding steady there.

Last August playing tennis with my teenager overzealously I had a recurrence of low back pain from an old disc injury. Had to cut back to the neighbor mailbox walk for a few months. I had to get back to physical therapy and see my doctor's chiropractor again.

I am recently back up to a mile, sometimes a mile and a half to almost two miles, rare occasion, before I feel a little pain and need to stop.

Sometimes I don't want to walk and will miss, but I always feel better when I get back to a walk the next day, or as soon as possible.

My weight loss is slow, probably due to amount of calories in. But I continue to have more green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits than I was eating. These foods decrease my aches and pains, including arthritis symptoms.

Definitely pay attention to the other members for calorie and nutrition behavior! They know what they are doing and some have lost 75 or more, such as Amber and Judy!

Hope to hear from you again!

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Victoria. I just wanted to add my welcome. I began my this journey 2 months ago. You learn so much from the folks on this board and they are very encouraging too. Hope to hear again from you soon. Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 304.0 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure

mog1026 responded:
Don't despair Victoria. If you do nothing else today but read this board, you have taken the first step. I promise you that the people here can inspire you to believe that you can lose weight. If you believe it, you can do it.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.4. GW 165

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im Amanda. 24 Years Old.. Married to the love of my Life, been married for 2 years August 8. Together for 6. Scale says im 247, I dont have a goal wei...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.