Skip to content
The new girl...
An_251787 posted:
Hello to all.... I'm the new girl. Just joined last week and didn't take it serious, up until this morning when I weighed and noticed I gained 4 lbs. Oh boy guess I need to WAKE UP. I sure need encouragement. I'm a mother of 2 girls and I work full time-did I mention I'm a single parent. My daughter are also over weight. I've got to do something about this now. It's so hard to see my daughter cry because she is fat, I feel guilty about it, I'm OBESE, I need to take control of what I feed my family. HELP....

totallywiggedout responded:
Hiya New Girl! Welcome and good morning!
You've come to an excellant place to get encouragement and some pointers. This is a great, supportive community. You'll find none better on the web, or anywhere.
First thing is to start a food and fitness planner, either here or on Fitday.com. Both are good, this one is convenient if you intend to blog here alot, the Fitday one has more tracking of nutrients and such. There's also a good one on Livestrong.com. Whichever you use, I suggest that you are diligent with the food logging and with getting in your suggested exercise. When starting these, make sure you put in that you are doing the LOWEST amount of exercise optioned. That way, you will get the best suggestions to attain your goal.
If your girls are doing this with you, and they probably are, fill one out for each of them too. Once you figure out your frequent meal's ingredients and save as a frequent, this will become way easier to log faster. Just click and save in proper meal or snack time.
When logging, make sure to add in EVERY SINGLE THING that you eat , preferably when it happens, or prearrange your meals to jive with your log in the AM. It's hard to remember what all you ate during the day if you try to log it all at night, but it is possible if you take some notes, lol
Once you log onto THIS community page, click RESOURCES at left(you must be signed in to read member resources and it has to be ON THIS PAGE, as other communities have their own resources link).
You will find some exercise tips and some excellant recipe ideas and links. These have been community member tried and approved for taste, ease of preparation and for the fun they give you.
We all here try to focus on NUTRITION above all else. If a food doesn't have good nutrition to balance the caloric load, it's not worth eating. That's basicly the mindset and the goal.
Shoot for making most of your meals from scratch from things that don't have "ingredients" labels or if they do, then those with the LEAST number of ingredients and ingredients that you can pronounce and preferably know what they are.
Note that fresh meats, veggies and fruits don't have labels and they are your best choices.
Shop from the OUTSIDE AISLE, fruits/veggies, low fat meats that have the LEAST manufactured handling(Hotdogs are BAD STUFF), low fat/fat free dairy (soy milk or almond milk, or skim), eggs.... fill your cart up ... ONLY THEN shop from the inside aisles for the least dietarily offensive condiments(like reg. mustard) and healthier cereals and grains(NO white grains, pastas or sugared cereals, lol, go whole grain or whole wheat, ok?)
Use 0 cal cooking sprays, or if necessary , heart healthy cooking oils like Extra Virgin Olive oil, Extra Virgin Coconut oil, Grape Seed oil ONLY in moderation. Lots of calories that you still have to add.
Get yourself a big water bottle. Daily recommendation is 64 oz a day.
Blog, it helps. We don't just discuss diet here. The weather, family situations, sleep problems, stress, excitment , fun activities ...It all acts on your mental/emotional status which affects how you handle your food intake.
Take small steps. Don't jump right in with big plans for exercise and developing new recipes and shopping for better foods and decreasing your portion sizes. You will almost certainly overwhelm yourself and quit. ANY little change for the better is an improvement and is on the right track for better health and weight.
A lot of us focused on changing our foods first, then as we got a better handle on it, slipped in some exercise, then a bit more, and a bit more..... This is for a lifetime of change, not a quick fix. You have the rest of your life to succeed on your journey.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 179.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Welcome, new girl. Kim has covered just about everything, so just wanted to add my hello. This board has been an invaluable tool for me on my healthy journey.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rachael2011 responded:
I just wanted to add my welcome! Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 299.8 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure

jis4judy responded:
Hi New hirl Kim has covered just about everything so I am just adding my welcome
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

losing weight is possible,NOT EASY!!!! but possible. i have lost over 100 lbs, took me 3 years but its better to lose it slowely-no left over skin. I ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.