Skip to content
Just starting
An_251792 posted:
58 yo SW 277...I quit smoking 5 years ago and blamed my weight gain on that...well I think I am past that and have been for a while. I have always had some extra weight but never like this, but was physically active, now I have a job, at a desk, in front of this computer screen. It is time for a change, I find that portion-control is one of my big problems. Any advise, tips, etc...

jis4judy responded:
Hi welcome aboard
drink plain water in place of calorie loaded drinks that would be a great place to start. if you hate water plain put a wedge of lemon in it .. and yes you maybe already figured this out portions real normal portions can be a big change to be sure I use a food scale to get accurate measurements for meat nuts fruits . I eyeball my green vegies You may want to forget the diets and just eat as healthy as you can with some portion control. then add in some exercise
healthy eating is lean meats fat free dairy whole grains fruits and vegies and nuts in moderation
this is my best advice I hope you can use it Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi there! Welcome to our community!
I agree with Judy. Concentrate on portion sizes and make a few changes to your regular foods to make them healthier. Like not using white rice pasta or bread, and switching to whole wheat or whole grain instead.
Start a food and fitness planner, here or Fitday.com or Livestrong.com or wherever you prefer. Put in that you are the LEAST active choice given, so that you will have the best calculations for caloric intake and exercise output.
I was having troubles with cereal and some meals. I don't use a scale, but I do use measuring cups and spoons. But I know that seeing a smaller portion of food on the BIG plates , bowls and glassware can make me feel like I'm jipping myself. That my diet is making me "give up" too much. So I purchased some plastic toddler glasses, tri sectioned plates and bowls. The toddler bowls are perfect for cereals because even a half cup of cereal and some Almond milk look like a decent amount in them. And believe it or not, most toddler sized dinnerware IS the correct size for adult servings.
You can actually see my plates that I'm using on the MAY GOALS discussion link here.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 179.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom responded:
Welcome! Kim and Judy have given you great advice. Small changes at first that you can live with and once you start seeing success, you can tweak as you go. We are all still tweaking no matter how long we've been here! Just start somewhere and when you slip, get right back on track. That's the real secret, I think.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Meeralee responded:
hello,
I am new to this site, am so enjoying all the great information available. I journal everything. Love the fact that it tells me exactly how much exercise I have to do each day to reach my goal. I love salmon buy it in the frozen dept. in the store because it is already portioned in bags for me. I buy ground turkey, when I get home I empty it into a bowl, add chopped water chestnuts, chopped green onion, dash of soy sauce, pepper, garlic salt, pinch of basil, and parsley. make into palm size patties (4-5) oz. place in freezer bags. The food is ready when I am. hope this helps.

mishabl replied to Meeralee's response:
Welcome !! I'm new here too, but I've gotta tell you, it's awesome. The people are so encouraging !!
I'm Margie, SW 265
Constant change, not instant perfection.
TODAY will be different from YESTERDAY :)

rohvannyn responded:
I'm a little late, but welcome! Maybe get a small hand weight to use at your desk? Any little bit counts.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 50 yrs old and live in SC, was born and raised in Ohio. I have 2 children both adults now. I am a psychic medium, tarot reader. I have high blood...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.