Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post-surgery: After Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass... my journey continues
pinkisnancy posted:
As of today, it has now been officially 2 weeks since my surgery, and a total of 25 lbs lost. the aches and pains are subsiding finally, I am able to sleep in my bed instead of the recliner, the incision looks amazing for what it is, and I can have scrambled egg, cottage cheese (small curd), yogurts, and a variety of pureed items. so ... Yes, I am doing very well. I am now back to work (part time) until the doctor clears me for more hours. I still can not lift anything over 5 lbs, bend over, reach over head, and dance the samba... but then again, I couldn't dance the samba before surgery LOL! My mood is brighter than it has been in a long time. I am off all my medications except my insulin... but even that is 2/3 less than what I was taking. The doctor was baffled as was I, when my sugars spiked to 300 in the hospital. then we realized I was one of those 1% odd balls with my sugars... I burn my meds through my system very fast, instead of the norm which do the exact opposite. So for the time being, I am only using 25 units of Lantus instead of 75. and we'll 'wean' me off them slowly. Other than that... I'm doing very well. I remembered others saying they had 'hair loss' after surgery, But I realized that was because they didn't start their 'bariatric vitamins' right after surgery, as I have. so no hair loss. Also, I want to say thank you to all of you. Your ongoing support and encouragement has helped me so much! It would be difficult if there wasn't anyone that understood the frustrations and heartache of being morbidly obese. I so very much appreciate all of you beautiful souls! Pink
Starting out at 310-04/21/2013-Bariatric Gastric-Bypass 04/24/2013-And then the follow-up. Fingers are not crossed, because this doesn't have to do with luck... it has to do with ME, and I am Pink.

itsashayduh responded:
That is amazing! WAY TO GO!!!
I hope that you stay on the track to a health life!

I am doing the happy dance for you!!
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

jis4judy responded:
Hi Pink I am so glad it is going well for you and stick to the plan and remember it is a forever plan .. eventually you will be fine to move more just be patient getting back to work even part time is pretty awesome so soon after surgery.
25 pounds is pretty awesome too you must be happy about that congrats on your success so far
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn responded:
So glad to hear of your progress! I think you were very smart to start the vitamins right away. It sounds like you are doing a good job of focusing on nourishing your body and helping it heal. Best of luck to you.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

kalimiller responded:
Yay!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 194

mog1026 responded:
This is amazing progress. I have read of patients who can immediately stop their meds and what a blessing that must be. You and Governor Chris Christie are on your way to a new healthy silhouette.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.4. GW 165

totallywiggedout responded:
jeez, it's been 2 WEEKS already???!!! My but time flies when you are having fun, doesn't it?? LOL
OMG PINK! 25 lbs lost in TWO WEEKS?! That puts you at or around, what? 285?? Way to go, girl! I'm really so glad for you. Even if you can't do anything heavy, I bet you are moving way better from the weight loss.
It's wonderful that you are off most of your meds and the insulin is soon to follow. That's just great. I'm so so happy for you that this is working out well.
Keep us informed about how you feel from day to day. I'm really interested to find out if you are having any headaches or dizziness from "lack of food" or if your vitamins take care of that for you. It's always been one of the things I wondered about most is how the body responds to such a huge decrease in intake.
Pictures as you go, don't forget! Not for us, but if you want to share that'd be great, but for you. So that you can remember what you did look like vs what you will end up looking like.
Your journey is going to be a quick one, but the changes are still going to be forever.
huggs so much
k
Kim SW 252 CW 178 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rachael2011 responded:
Yay! Am so happy you re doing well in this process. And off the meds is awesome!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 299.8 Short term goal-299 Goal weight- unsure

blondie454u responded:
Glad you're doing well!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

pinkisnancy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I think the vitamins are the reason why I don't feel weak, or lightheaded... it certainly isn't the food LOL! The amount of food I sit and eat isn't enough to keep anyone 'healthy', its not even because of hunger that I eat... its because three times a day, I am supposed to put something in my body. I still don't have any form of hunger, and was told not to expect it for several months. I think its also from 'missing' chewing, if that makes sense. I do get headaches, but its usually because I didn't get enough water into my system for the day. I then will hit the water and sip until I cant anymore, that usually clears it up. A lot of it, I am looking at 're-learning' to eat... like an infant learns to eat. Starting with the barest basics of food, and building up slowly. after all, newborns are known for drinking 2 oz of milk just after birth.... for several weeks, till they build up room for 3 to 4 oz, then switch to pureed foods... and so on. Very much like What I've been experiencing these past two weeks. So, I am 'learning to do it right' this time; instead of the bad eating habits I picked up as a child. no sodas, no caffeine, no sugars, no oils, no fried foods, no junk foods.... just healthy veggies, fruits, and simple proteins. And trust me.... I am soooo much a meat lover! lol But patience got me to the surgery, after a year of research and 4 months of serious tests, patience will get me through to eating 'solid' foods again, but in the right way, and the right amounts. Right now, I'm just focusing on today... which IS NOT easy! lol we love to live in the past and the future 'what ifs' as a society. I have to relearn more than just eating. Thank you!! ((HUGS)) Everyone!

Pink
Starting out at 310-04/21/2013-Bariatric Gastric-Bypass 04/24/2013-And then the follow-up. Fingers are not crossed, because this doesn't have to do with luck... it has to do with ME, and I am Pink.

totallywiggedout replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Pinky, it must be cause sweety you don't eat enough to feed a mouse right now, lol
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 178 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jean4u responded:
Hi Pink,

Two weeks! 25 DOWN!!!

So nice to hear all is going well. Interesting about that sugar spike, but good that got caught.

You have gone through alot. Physically you still are on the mend. Just follow doctors orders. About the Samba....I will do that for you....here I go "Ba-ba-baba-ba baba and so on"..just a simple 2-step, repeat, very fast, though.

Keep smiling! You deserve to feel good about taking control of your health.

Barb

jessicapolnick responded:
O wow, thats amazing! I wish i coudl drop 25 pounds in 2 weeks!! i unfortunatly barely do not qualify for the surgurey so i'm stuck doin it the hard way! but i'm only 23 so its possible!! CONGRATS! my sister & 2 cousins have had the surgery & they are looking amazingggggg!! once you find your niche your health & fitness will become the best endorphins for you! i love my medicine ball & kettlebell! => i'm deff on my path to healthy & have been doing realllllly well! I love reading everyone tips & discusssions & motivation. theres so much support here!
YOUGOGIRL. =D

totallywiggedout replied to jessicapolnick's response:
Jessica, you sound like you are having alot of fun on your journey. I'm glad that you have found some exercise equipment that you could fall in love with.
Wonderful that you are doing well and getting healthier , even if it's the hard way, it's working and you'll get there.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.2 GW 135

pinkisnancy replied to jessicapolnick's response:
Jessica,

First thing, don't compare yourself to ANYONE! You are a unique individual, and one of the first 'sins' we ALL make is to compare to others. Trust me, all that does is frustrate and depress someone. Instead, look at yourself as this glass jar full of colored bits of sea glass. Each piece that makes you up is unique and has its own beauty, though it can also have a sharp edge or two. These pieces are the different parts, thoughts, and emotions that make up who you are. Each one needs to be treated both separately as well as together as a whole. With this in mind, look at your life-style change in eating the same way. Its part of you, but its also a unique aspect of you. It needs to be able to fit in the jar and work with the rest of the bits. So too no diet is the same as any other. Each one was designed by someone with a unique background and history. So, where one may not fit, another might 'sort of' fit, and another fit even more so. Until you find the right combo that works for your unique self, it can be frustrating. However, don't give up on the one important person in this... YOU. I went through years of switching out diets until I realized, almost too late, that most didn't fit me... not 'me fitting the diet' ok? Its like finding two dresses, completely different, both same size, but doesn't mean both will fit you right because of the way they were cut. I am thrilled that you are doing really well. just remember to honor you. Remember you do not fit any mold they have out there. So honor that and respect it. In all honesty, I'm glad you don't fit the surgery requirements, its not easy. Its one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I'm 48 years old! The memory of sitting down to fried chicken (I'm southern) is something that haunts me sometimes. I'll never be able to eat it again, in any form. The fat and cholesterol levels prohibit it. Instead I have to change my thinking, not just my eating, and exercising... but my whole thought process, a 1/4 cup of sugar free jello is a meal for me now, so I cant even think about fried chicken...where I hear Weight Watchers meals has a nice version of it... I'll not be allowed to even try it. Instead, for you, I applaud your success so far! And hope you never have to face the choice of surgery or dying with in 10 years, and needing a 'double wide' coffin. Celebrate your successes, and stick with your plan, i'm so glad it works for you! so Jessica, Brava! keep up the great work!! and celebrate your ability to still have a choice in how you eat!

Spotlight: Member Stories

It took me many years to put on this extra 100 lbs plus and I know it will take me some time to get it off but one day at a time and God by my side I ...More

Helpful Tips

Working Out
OMG I had a very hard time getting out of the bed this morning to go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but this morning it was awful. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.