Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
If today was your last day...
rohvannyn posted:
I've been thinking about that song, by Nickelback I think. The idea of living each moment like your last is a compelling one, but like the old joke says "I live each day like it's my last, which is great, but I'm getting tired of cancelling funeral arrangements." Don't worry, this is a hopeful post.

Anyway, with an increasing desire not to waste what precious time I have left in my life (which isn't getting any longer), I've considered the following: what if I tried to live as if I had five years left? I have much longer than that, more than likely, but that way I would feel a sense of urgency and have a desire not to waste my time, yet I wouldn't have the urge to do anything crazy like quit my job or gain a bunch of weight. At the same time, I would want to maximize my quality of life so I could really enjoy what I had left. So I'd do a better job and be more cheerful at work, because I wouldn't want to waste the time, and I wouldn't spend as much time doing nothing or being grumpy at home. I would want to continue with my health and fitness plan for the same reason. There's a chance my spouse might have cancer, which we have no way of treating, so I want to make her time the best possible as well...

So that's my goal... to live as if I had only five years left, then keep on going after that, and have many more good years than I otherwise would have. Just thought I would post this in case it was of interest to others.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

itsashayduh responded:
That is a very raw and inspiring post. Thank you very much for sharing.
Everything that is said is true. No one really knows when the last day her will be. But you can make everyday worth living.

I also with the best for your spouse. <3
I hope evrything turns out to be okay.

Best Wishes
--Sash =)
SW 190 - CW 186 - GW 120

totallywiggedout responded:
Roh,
How do you mean, you have no way of treating your spouse's cancer? If it's because there isn't enough money or no insurance, there are options .... places like the Shriner's , Elks clubs, Rotary clubs and such all donate money for people in need. There is also Soc Security benefits for cancer patients.
If you mean that it's considered inoperable.... have you guys read Crazy,Sexy, Cancer? She also had a show on lifetime and is now a nutritionist/author who has inoperable cancer but she's definitely NOT giving up at all.
I'm sorry for your situation though.
huggs to both of you
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
None of us know how long we have, we can live perfect healthy lives and get hit by a truck. So why not make the most of it?

I'm exploring options as regards treatment. Right now we are in the situation, as many are, of making too much to get free health care (not that I want to give all my info to the government anyway) and making too little to afford employer provided health care. I can afford dental and vision because it's cheap but if something goes wrong it's the ER (I'd rather not do that), pay out of pocket, or nothing.

This has a positive side. Because I know I have no safety net, I focus on keeping myself healthy. Since I don't have any magic fix-all pills, I try to eat right and take care of myself to prevent problems. It's just like things used to be. Trouble is, when there's big stuff like a tumor, it's a little harder to deal with that. So I'll check around for options regarding that. Who knows, maybe I'll start selling paintings and that will take care of it!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, check out this link...

http://www.phillyburbs.com/blogs/working_my_butt/uninsured-or-under-insured-check-out-these-resources/article_c78639ec-4a7d-11e0-ae8d-0017a4a78c22.html

perhaps you can find a place that will help you guys out.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom responded:
Hi Roh, So sorry to hear about your spouse. I hope you will research some of Kim's ideas and find some help with the health care issue.

I love your goal and especially when you say "maximize my quality of life." We all need to be reminded of how fragile life is from time to time. Thanks for this. I think I will appreciate this day that I've been given more than I would have if you had not posted this.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Roh
when I was 27 a long time ago I was hospitalized for 25 days with the worst asthma attack ever I was in such pain my spirit jumped out of my body just a minute or so .. well long story short we had a small health insurance plan that paid 100 dollars a day but that all the Bill was 25000.00 so the insurance only paid 2500.00 approx. 10% I was too stupid to realize it was way beyond my ability to pay . so when I got the bill I paid 10 dollars a month for 2 months then I got a call from the hospital they asked me about my income and how many people in house then they called back and said don't send any more money the bill is taken care of ..My hubby said that there is a fund to pay for people that have no money to pay and I was in that category evidently.. I was automatically entered into Medicaid with that call... as soon as my hubby got a better job that had health care as a benefit we have ever since had health care because we knew the asthma was going to need it it.. and it sure did come in handy when I had breast cancer and my eye treatments If you can get some kind of health care
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Roh,

I hope you find something to help. I do believe in living each day as you're dying because you're dying everyday regardless of how healthy you are. When you're healthy you're just prolonging to live longer. From the time we are born we are dying but you're only living if you have positive outlook on everything. That's hard to do but life isn't worth living unless you're happy. Eating healthy and exercising helps you so much mentally and physically. I just wish the rest of the world would see this to help bring better and healthier foods back on our shelves at the grocery store. Real food is becoming a delicacy bringing those food prices higher. Any way I know that's probably more insight than anyone wanted but those are my thoughts.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
What Judy says is true, Roh, Once in the hospital for anything, get in contact with their customer care rep. . This person can help out with paperwork to get medicaid for your spouse.
My oldest sister drank herself into a Right Hemisphere hemotoma(brain bleed) and ended up having brainsurgery twice while being kept in the hospital for 43 days, then on to Mary Freebed Rehab.... she was a manager at Little Caesars and didn't have much insurance at all. She nor the family paid one single dime of these bills for it.
There is help out there.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi all, I am a new member, mid forties and about 54 lbs overweight, I tried everything, including gastric bypass (lost about 100 at first) it's be...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.