Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why does this guy get to make us feel bad
totallywiggedout posted:
When I'd first heard about what the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch said, I actually was hurt. Before my boys graduated, and before my accident, I shopped there for Christmas presents(a single shirt, or some of their colognes were about all I could afford), or during Summer for their rubber thongs.
I weighed around the 250 I started out my journey as. Now I wonder if I wasn't being looked down on, even then....

Read this and YOU decide if you want to shop there... or IF you can MAYBE try to get others, NOT TO....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amy-taylor/open-letter-fat-chick-mike-jeffries-ceo-abercombie-fitch_b_3249798.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

tnmist responded:
That woman's letter was well written. She was correct; if he had said similar things to certain other groups, America would have been outraged.

Here is what came to my mind as I read that article:

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV).

I try to keep in mind something my counselor told my once, "It does not matter what anyone else thinks; it only matters what God thinks."

I try to remember those 2 things because I have pretty poor self-esteem, partly related to my "outward appearance" and being a TARGET my entire childhood AND adulthood.

That CEO is very small-minded. As you mentioned, whose to say that many people are shopping for presents for others? Hello!?

Ya, I could be hurt by his words, but they really have no affect on me. Like that woman in the letter said, food addiction/being overweight isn't something we can hide - it's out there for the whole world to judge us by and comment on. Sometimes I used to WISH I had a "hidden" addiction instead, like alcohol, but then again my oldest sister died at 37 partly from an alcohol addiction, so probably not a good "wish."

I don't know this man. I've never once shopped on line or in person or from one of their catalogs. He doesn't really exist in my world. There are all sorts of hateful people out there; he just happened to open his mouth about it. I just shrug my shoulders and move on.....

OH! that reminds me of something a high school teacher once said in class, "You can keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt." Yep, I think that about sums up my opinion of that guy, LOL.
Misty
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

mog1026 responded:
What an ass! I see that he made those remarks in 2006. Lets hope he's learned something since then. Abercrombie in CT is the shopping Mecca of 7th grade girls who shop in packs and mostly wear size 0 because they haven't fully grown yet. And their junior high school minds are about as mature as Mike Jeffries. I'd say they are probably a perfect match. By the time they're in high school Abercrombie is oh so uncool.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.4. GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to tnmist's response:
LOL, MIsty, I love that quote from your teacher. It's so true, especially in this case.
I too, feel sorta sorry for him. How awful to live with such a hard heart, small mind and mean spirit.
As the CEO of AandF he probably doesn't do anything by halves. He certainly doesn't do being horridly self centered and pugnacious by half.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy,
I doubt very much if he has changed his tune about how he feels. He may have stopped being so PUBLIC with his sentiments but I'm sure deep down, he's the same. A horse of a different color, is still a horse('s ass) as you put it, lol
huggs
k

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Well unfortunately some people never outgrow middle school no matter how long they live. I'm always shocked and bemused when they reveal themselves. It makes me hope for reincarnation so in the next life they can evolve to a little higher plane.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.4. GW 165

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. I am happy to find this group! Over the last 10 years, I have allowed the pounds to creep up slowly. Now I find myself 57 pounds overweight! I...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.