Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new on board
mishabl posted:
Hi everyone ! I'm new here and totally excited to see how my life is going to change. I'm married and I have a daughter, and I need to lose 100 pounds. Be encouraged, everybody !!

jis4judy responded:
Hi Misha
welcome aboard It is a wonderful feeling when you do change your lifestyle and have a slimmer body and get healthier too
What are you currently doing to change your life ? eating as healthy as possible is the way to go avoiding most processed foods..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Welcome, Misha!
Glad you joined our community.
For newbies, I always suggest starting a Food and Fitness Planner either here, on Fitday.com, Livestrong.com or wherever you find one you like. I do the one here, cause this is my favorite(and ONLY community, lol).
Start slowly. Either choose to revamp your way of eating, OR start a new exercise . Try not to do both if you feel that it would overwhelm you and make you quit. We don't want that. This is a LIFESTYLE change. FOREVER... and when you have forever to do it, why not take as long as you need to DO IT RIGHT?
We try to focus on healthy eating. Feeding your body what it NEEDS to function with the foods that are highest in nutritional value (more bang for the buck, in other words)

Easy changes are drinking approx 64 oz of water a day. Just get a big water bottle and carry it with you. Refill as the day goes on and you'll get your water in no time.

Substitute whole grain rice and pasta and lower cal whole grain breads for white. OR even better, do away with the bread and wrap your sandwich stuff in a Romaine lettuce leaf.

Substitute things like regular Iceburg lettuce for baby spinach, kale, or other leafy greens. More nutritional value.

Substitute a small sweet potato for the white potatoes. Better nutrition, more fiber.

Try to stay clear of reg vegetable/corn or peanut oils. VERY bad for your heart and your waist. Switch to extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil, grapeseed or walnut oil.

Try to get your sweets from whole fresh fruit. If you need a "flavoring" or sweetener, switch from reg sugars to Stevia, honey, or spoonfuls of frozen 100% fruit juice concentrates.

Focus on reducing your serving sizes to the RECOMMENDED sizes. Most servings of carbs and proteins are about the size of a deck of cards or a hockey puck.

EVERYTHING HAS CALORIES and EVERYTHING MUST BE COUNTED. condiments, oils we cook in, "tastes" of the food as we cook it (I do a standard 8 cals per tiny taste as I cook)

Again, start a planner, log your food for a couple of days without really changing much. See where you can make changes that you can live with. It all adds up as steps along your journey.

kim
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mishabl replied to totallywiggedout's response:
WOW !! Thank you both SO much, I feel so welcomed, right at home ! Right now I'm trying to focus on drinking water, and not feeling overwhelmed. It's new for me to count calories too, but this site is awesome, so I see that all I have to do is register the food I eat. Easy ! It's a long journey I have ahead, but I'm glad that I'm in good company Just one question... I see that everybody puts SW and CW on their comments - does this mean 'starting weight' and 'current weight' ?

jis4judy replied to mishabl's response:
that's what it means sw start weight cw current weight
you caught on quick //
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to mishabl's response:
Judy's right! Boy, you caught on quick with the abreviations. Good for you!
Yes, the online food and exercise journals are head and shoulders above writing everything down, figuring out the calories, trying to find out how much you burn doing such and such... VERY unlike what we used to have to do before the internet, lol
I NEVER did food diaries when you had to write them by hand..... I'm too lazy and it was just too overwhelming to contemplate, lol

huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

j9celeste replied to mishabl's response:
Welcome Misha!

You have gotten some great advice already. Kim is so right about not taking on too much at the beginning. I know that my black and white personality, I always went from my unhealthy eating to a huge "diet" and only could keep it up for a little while...then the weight would just come back on.

The first changes I made were to drink 64 ounces of water every day and measure all of my food so I could start to get an idea of what the serving sizes should be. I was amazed at how many servings I was having without realizing it! Best wishes for you on your journey!

Oh...just in case you see NSV, that means non scale victory. I tried to guess that one and ended up asking

xoxo
Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 262 GW 165

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Misha! Glad to have you on board! This is the best support group ever. I love my boardies! Never would have been as successful without all the good advice and support I find here.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Misha. This board have been a great source of information and motivation for me. Welcome!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 298.8 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

Meeralee responded:
Hi Mishabl,
I too am new to this site, the people are so helpful, and friendly, helps with this journey. enjoy the site and your journey. You will find so much helpful information here.

blondie454u responded:
Welcome!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've come a long way. But there's still a long way to go...

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.