Skip to content
Knee update
j9celeste posted:
Hello friends

I saw my surgeon on Monday. It was three weeks since the gel injection and five weeks since the cortisone. I had no improvement. Now he working on scheduling an arthroscopic surgery. He is going to remove my bone spurs, smooth the joints out, and also see if I have a meniscus injury that he can fix. I'm excited at the possibility for improvement! He wants to be able to put off a knee replacement for a couple years...at least until I'm 50. He is pleased with my weight loss.

I am hoping that I can have the surgery this week since I've got three big events coming up. My mom turns 80 on the 27th and we're having her big bash on the 26th down in the cities (Mpls/St. Paul.) Then my sister turns 50 the next week and graduates with her Masters in Clinical Psychiatry for MICD (mental illness and chemical dependency.) So I'll be back in the cities the next weekend for the ceremony. Then the week after her graduation party...again in the cities. I really don't want to have to wait until the middle of June to have this done.

He told me that I would be up and around in a couple of days (I'll need my walker but I'm used to that.) He said that after the majority of surgical pain is gone, my pain level will decrease dramatically...so I'll be in less pain then I am now for my mom's party. (My sister is a vegetarian, so the food at her party will be very healthy!)

I'm worried about my husband. He saw his doctor Monday for painful urination. His blood tests showed his creatinine is more than double what it should be, as is his albumin. They scheduled him for an ultrasound yesterday which shows a very enlarged prostate. He has also been extremely constipated for a couple of weeks and I guess they can be related. They then immediately scheduled an appointment with a urologist this morning in Duluth (about 90 miles southeast of Grand Rapids.)

I guess it's the sense of urgency that worries me. He still hasn't completely recovered from his 19 broken bones from our car accident 2 years ago and now this. Poor DH!

Thanks all for letting me ramble! Have a great day

xoxo
Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 262 GW 165

kalimiller responded:
Oh I sure hope that this surgery helps with your pain levels! That would be so wonderful for you!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 194

jean4u responded:
Sounds like doing the surgery is the next step of getting that knee better. When my dau was 16 she had a fall and her knee did not recover. The doc did the surgery and found a knee deformaity that he fixed but it did not show on x-ray. Good luck on getting that knee fixed!

Good luck to your DH, too. Hope all is well. Take care of yourself and stay focused on your plan. One day at a time!

Barb

abnersmom responded:
Good luck with your knee surgery Celeste. I hope it relieves your pain. Please keep us posted on your DH as well when you can. I hope you've found some non-food ways to deal with all the stress you guys are going through. Tough times!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

rachael2011 responded:
Good luck with your knee (hopefully it'll be soon for you). That is awesome news. And have fun at your upcoming events! We have a graduation party too in June for my son (high school), but I am handling the food so we will have a mix of healthy and traditional party fare. You may get some good ideas at your sister's party w/ the vegetarian foods.

Good luck to your DH too with his health. Keep us posted w/ everything.
Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 298.8 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

jis4judy responded:
Good luck kiddo Celeste
I really am glad you have a solution to the pain and really wish your Hubby luck on his health problem too .
they seem to have a lot of good ideas for fixing knees these days so I hope it works out well ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Celeste, let us know asap about when you go in for your surgery. I also hope that you can get it done before everything else goes on.
Having your mom around for her 80th, such a blessing. And having a "brainiac" sister, to boot. I mean WOW! At least you know when you completely fall apart, your sister can help with the psychological part of it, lol
My thoughts are with you and your husband. I hope his prostate problem is minor and he can be rid it with just meds.
19 bones broken and healing.... Not quite Evil Knievel but close!
Let us know how it goes, ok?
huggs and prayers
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mog1026 responded:
Good good luck with your knees Celeste! It may be the biggest best step you can take on this health journey. Just think of all you can do with strong pain-free knees. You'll be running like Amber! I'm thinking of you and can't wait to hear how it is going.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.4. GW 165

blondie454u responded:
Good luck Celeste! Keep us posted.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

j9celeste replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good morning friends

My arthroscopic surgery is scheduled for May 29th. I'm having it at the Lakewalk Surgery Center in Duluth. My husband had his most recent rotator cuff surgery there and it was a wonderful experience...much better than a hospital for day surgery!

The news with my husband is not as good. His kidneys are functioning at only 25% so he is in kidney failure. The urologist told us that his prostate size is in the 85th percentile and that he has way too much protein in his blood. The doctor is worried and said "I need to save your kidneys." He is scheduled to have a procedure called Urodynamics next Wednesday. This will check his bladder function to see how badly the bladder muscle is damaged and what the next step will be. The urologist threw a lot of words around like "hydronephrosis", "tribeculations" and "pertrophies". I'll be spending time today researching those. In order to get the kidneys to "breathe again" right away he had to get a cath and he has to wear a bag. We're praying that this isn't permanent and he doesn't need dialysis or a transplant. He's only 60...much too young for this. The urologist is convinced that his broken pelvis that he got in the accident damaged his prostate.

My husband and I have a joke about the accident. It happened on my birthday so we call it the gift that keeps on giving!

I so appreciate all the support and will keep everybody updated.

xoxo
Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 262 GW 165

mog1026 replied to j9celeste's response:
Hi Celeste. Thanks for the update. It's good news about your knees of course and I am so interested to hear of your future improvement, but so awful to hear what your husband is going through. Awful for him and stressful for you. Any cheerleading you need I am happy to do. Try to eat well and get enough sleep because it looks like you two are going to need the energy for your doctor visits...lots of them. My fingers and toes are crossed that you just hear good news from now on. Too bad we can't give each other real hugs in times of need. Kathy
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.4. GW 165

j9celeste replied to mog1026's response:
Thank you so much Kathy! This has made me more determined than ever to become healthy. I need to be healthy and strong to help him through whatever happens. And even though he doesn't eats fairly healthy, he's making more healthy changes too!

xoxo
Celeste

totallywiggedout replied to j9celeste's response:
Great news about your knee surgery. Hope this will fall within your busy timeline well, so that nothing overlaps with your mom's bday or sister's graduation.
I'm sorry about your husbands troubles though. I've already started looking up stuff about this too, just to be able to give you "informed" support. I don't know if that sounds right, but , what I'm trying to say is, at least when you start sharing his ordeal, then perhaps I can at least understand it better. Basically for myself, but perhaps I will fall upon some info that I can share too.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

j9celeste replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you so much Kim. So nice of you to look stuff up too! You are all such great support.

xoxo
Celeste

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Kayla, I'm 20 years old. I've always had a hard time with my weight and not for typical reasons. I've never been a snacker, I a...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.