Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A Wrinkle In Time
totallywiggedout posted:
When we lose a LOT of weight, go from obese to "normal" we worry about the extra skin. We all do, because skin stretches and very rarely "snaps back".

Well, OK.

If you are lucky enough to have crinkles at the corners of your eyes from laughing often throughout your life then you wear those with pride. You have led a happy life.

If you are lucky enough to have been blessed with children, you probably have stretchmarks around your lower tummy and perhaps your breasts. The marks of being a "mommy". You are blessed.

If you have deep dimples, or "laugh lines" around your mouth. You have smiled often enough to create lasting symbols of your humor and ability to SEE the humor in everyday life.

So, if you have worked hard enough to lose 50, 60.... 100... or more lbs.... you have some loose skin as a reminder of how hard you worked, how diligent you were in attaining your goal, HOW MUCH living to laugh, smile, be around for your children means to you.

Wear each and every one of these things with pride. You've earned them. They are symbols of a life lived. Of your personal life's journey.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn responded:
That is awesome! I'd much rather have some loose skin, which will eventually shrink in most cases, or some stretch marks, than a bunch of extra weight. Great thought, and the same for laugh lines and other marks of experience. I think a person is more beautiful with a record of their life's journey. When presented with two people, one really smooth-faced and unmarked, and the other with lines on their face, I will prefer the latter. So many of us have a funny idea of perfection.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy responded:
that's the truth Kim we all have little battle wounds of life called wrinkles and a few laugh lines from the other side of life
our loose skin is truly better than when it was filed with artery clogging fat /
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
One of your best posts, Kim. Healthy beats vanity any old day!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

blondie454u responded:
Thanks Kim! I needed that. I feel like my body has been ran over and over again because of the way it looks in the mirror. This really helps put it in perspective and why I only see it. Others see it as what you stated.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

kalimiller responded:
Speaking of, have you guys seen that dove commerical with the sketch artist? I thought that it was really cool.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 194

blondie454u replied to kalimiller's response:
I haven't. I don't have cable tv.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

j9celeste responded:
Thank you Kim. Such a wonderful way to look at it
xoxo
Celeste
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 256 GW 165

brokeinside responded:
good thinking. i was really thinking of getting skin surgery or abdominoplasty when I get more saggy skin. but oh well, not my fault if i was born with slow metabolism and fast hand for picking fries (lol)

kalimiller replied to blondie454u's response:
Oh I don't have tv either, I just stumbled across it online somewhere. I don't have access to youtube at work, or I would link it here...
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 194

rohvannyn replied to kalimiller's response:
I saw it without sound as a promotional video. Didn't bother to turn the sound on but the general message seemed nice. Funny though, looking at the sketch artist, so serious and elegant at his wooden drawing table, using the very same tools I do... and drawing about as well as I do... is that how people see artists? I think this as I consider my own art-making space, a somewhat cluttered corner in a small apartment. Kind of fun to think about the difference between reality and perception.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to brokeinside's response:
Welcome Ms. Broke. Nice to hear your voice. And where do those fry bushes grow? They might qualify on the Paleo diet!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.2. GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to kalimiller's response:
Roh, I'm with you. I'd rather look like I've been someplace and done something to get my features than to look like I came straight out of a box that says BARBIE on the front.
Debbie, Amber , Judy and Kali, our own perspective of ourselves is always going to be skewed toward "the ideal", and we will never measure up to that because it DOESN'T EXIST. On the whole, one person's idea of ideal is never the same as another's, so the concept is a moot point.
Celeste, I'm getting there. It's been a struggle, but I think that I'm starting to accept me, as I am, and as I will become. And , I think I like me. You should like you too. You're very likeable, and from what I can tell in your pic. You're very pretty.
Brokeinside, welcome! Haven't heard from you before, but please continue to read and respond to us or better yet, share your story.
Kathy...SWEET POTATOES, yes they are paleo!
huggs you guys
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

After struggling with PCOS for years I got pregnant at 300 lbs, my ultimate high after pregnancy was 317 lbs. After my daughter was born 3 years ago, ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.