Skip to content
4th Week Post-op, and the start of stage 4 of dietary needs! Yay!
pinkisnancy posted:
Ok... this is it! The huge turning point! STAGE 4!

Now, stage 3 did end with a few bumps... my tummy rebelled a bit, but when we found it was due to there was seasoning in some of the food we didn't know about, we cut that out, and was ok again.

So, what stage 4 means, I can be weaned off pureed foods... YAY NO MORE GERBERS!

It also means I can begin my exercise program, with the stretch bands, and it has to be minimal for starts, but eventually (within the next few weeks) I should be able to get back into the swimming pool!

Now, still no seasonings, salt, pepper, oils, fats, etc. So "bland be thy name still" but... its not baby mush! I'm going to experiment with a bit of chicken this afternoon, as its the first item I am allowed whole. but chewed well. And steamed carrots (YUM) one of my favorite veggies. Of course the amounts still do not exceed 2 oz (1/4 cup) for a whole meal. And I still must try to consume 40 g of protein (so still with the drinks like boost), and I still need to maintain 40 to 60 oz of (liquids) daily. but I GET TO CHEW FOOD AGAIN! yes I'm happy with that one.

The exercise is important to me, as I have found I hit a weird plateau and am holding at 34 lbs. lost still. Doctor can't explain it either.... but we've already established I'm a weird one. lol... still needing insulin even though my duodenum is removed from the factor. I'm his only patient, in 20 years of him doing this surgery, that has this issue. So yes... I am weird.

So with the exercise being reintroduced, the plateau should disappear. If it doesn't, we'll have to look at what else is going on.

OHH yes, I have started a B12 sublingual tablet in the mornings... lets hope my fatigue is gone, and magnesium citrate.

Ok I think this covers my 4th week since surgery update... the rest is what happens from here on out. THANK YOU EVERYONE!
Starting out at 310-04/21/2013-Bariatric Gastric-Bypass 04/24/2013-And then the follow-up. Fingers are not crossed, because this doesn't have to do with luck... it has to do with ME, and I am Pink.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Pink I hope your transition to solids goes well.
Your body is maybe just getting used to the weight loss that happened already that happens when we plateau . just stick to the plan and it should be ok in a week or so .. I cannot offer you same advice as those without the surgery so you are goig to have to enlighten us along the way .
One thing is the same you have to ease into exercise just like the rest of us . have done.
Good luck hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

kalimiller responded:
Pink! I'm glad that you are doing so well. IDK if it is the same for everyone else, but whenever people post smileys, they appear as the bright yellow smileys. I think the thing that I got most our of your post is that you are so happy! Your post is just sprinkled with little yellow dots of happiness! Yay!
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 194

totallywiggedout responded:
I wanna know how that chicken sits with you. So cool that you don't have to eat pureed stuff anymore, but honestly, I love Gerber Hawaiian Delight dessert on apple and orange slices.
Speaking of which. How bout fruits? Are you allowed fresh crispy stuff now too? I think that that's one thing I would crave after so much mush. Something like an apple or pear to really crunch into.
Pink you are doing so well and I still am so glad that you are sharing your journey with us. It's so enlightening because you are so willing to let us know everything, the good the bad and the ugly of it.
Don't do too much with the bands , just easy does it, ok?
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mog1026 responded:
With 8 smiley faces in your post I'm thinking you are doing just fine. Good for you!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 206.2. GW 165

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
Good for you! That's awesome that things are going well. I agree with the others about the plateau.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

rohvannyn responded:
Along with the congratulations, I also wanted to know what your doctor told you about caloric intake. Are you still supposed to get 1200 calories or more a day? Or are the vitamins and supplements helping your body not go into starvation mode?
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

pinkisnancy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Ok, the chicken and carrots stayed and behaved . And yes, for the most part My mood has been untypically upbeat and happy for a change. The B12 gave me a nice steady energy level all day. It was so much better than the dragging around I've been doing. I am only to do mild exercise with the bands. So, yes I am taking it easy, and not overdoing things. Thank you for that concern.
@Rohvannyn, I hope I spelled that right My doctor said that by default, the surgery would limit my caloric intake to about 500 a day. yes 500 calories. I know not much is it lol. it was even less on the baby foods. The multi vitamins I have to take for the rest of my life are triple the strength of a regular centrum complete multivitamin only in a 2 oz jello, so I can digest them completely. The B12 I now take are sublingual (under the tongue) dissolvable so they enter my blood stream quickly. I also take a liquid form of Magnesium Calcium Citrate, and D Calcium in a drink I sip all day. they too are triple strength. So what I don't get from food, it helps to make up for. The protein drink I have helps prevent the starvation mode, as long as I keep my intake of proteins up to 40 - 60 grams daily, my metabolism wont shut down in starvation mode. ok? I hope that answers your question.
Starting out at 310-04/21/2013-Bariatric Gastric-Bypass 04/24/2013-And then the follow-up. Fingers are not crossed, because this doesn't have to do with luck... it has to do with ME, and I am Pink.

pinkisnancy replied to pinkisnancy's response:
oh I almost forgot.. no citrus yet, and fruit has to be skin free, and soft... so no crisp apples yet. the tummy is still too tender and new to put 'hard' foods in it. So if it can be a bit over ripe, like bananas I can have them, and low acid.

Ok this is what a 'big dinner' looks like to me now, this is a 1/4 of diced chicken breast and baby carrot steamed. Yes this makes me OVER full, like eating a big thanksgiving dinner does to others.

1/4 cup **

totallywiggedout replied to pinkisnancy's response:
sorry no apples yet. But I would think that all melon would be ok, as long as it was ripe.... Strawberries? Or would the seeds bother you? OH and avocados!! You could get a bunch of proteins from those too and they are gooooood for you.
Sorry, I got avocados on the brain right now.... Super1 Foods has the itty bitty single serving ones for 58 cents again and I'm dying to pick up some more.
Glad your dinner stayed put for you, btw. Nice to know you can chew still, huh?
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I love me some avocados! I hope they are still 3 for a dollar, last time I spent a bunch of my fruit budget on them.

Pink, thanks so much for the clarification. I'm endlessly curious about this sort of thing and love knowing more about how the body works. I figured the combination of the vitamins and protein would convince the body that it wasn't in danger of starving to death. To be honest, the little jello type servings of vitamins sound awesome but I'll bet they cost a bundle. I'm always looking for portable, semi heat stable sources of nutrition that can be bashed around and still be decent. I know, fresh fruits and vegetables are better, but getting nutrients and protein in the first place are good. Like they say about exercise, the best time to do it is when you do it.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom replied to pinkisnancy's response:
Like everyone else, thanks for sharing your journey with us, Pink. It is so interesting and so much more difficult than I ever imagined. Wow! Talk about making a commitment to your health, you have truly done that. Glad you can eat some solids (albeit tiny portions) and so glad that you are happy and healthy. Way to go, Pink!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

pinkisnancy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Rohvannyn, Go to Ameriwell Bariatrics online. I think you will be nicely surprised at the cost.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I always thought I was thin, I dont know how I had the blinders on, then one day I got on the scale and I was at 171 pounds, that was my turning point...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.