Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
web md article
kalimiller posted:
I thought it was interesting.

http://www.webmd.com/news/20130521/americans-still-making-unhealthy-choices-cdc
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 194

jis4judy responded:
I found that interesting as well You would think most people would do whatever they could to be healthier But it took me a few years researching foods that heal and identifying foods that make us sick . before I changed anything ... Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn responded:
I wonder how much of that is due to feelings of hopelessness, like there is no future? It's easy to make good choices if you are feeling well, but sometimes with the job situation the way it is, and the government taking more and more, and freedom of speech waning radically, and people in general getting ruder, sometimes I'm sure it's easier for stressed out Americans to have a cookie, or a cigarette, or a drink. Sure, I know it's better to take a deep breath, or eat fruits and vegetables, or take a walk, but the depressed mind just doesn't work the same way.

I'm not really convinced that awareness is the issue anymore. I think a lot of folks know how to be healthy but don't want to make the effort, or have despair keeping them from it. Why do I make bad choices when I know how to make good ones? Because sometimes my short term satisfaction is more important to me, because at least I can feel a little better now, rather than the more delayed payoff of better health.

I think we overcomplicate health. Most people know that vegetables are good to eat, grease is bad, and it's good to exercise. I wonder if some might overcomplicate it so they have a reason not to do it? The biggest thing we could do as a nation, and as a world, is reemphasize long term planning and hone the ability to delay instant gratification in favor of a long term reward. Myself included.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
That's true Roh the emotional stresses of life sometimes get the better of me ...too.. and I revert back to old ways of coping
that usually scares me enough to get back on plan ,
I think my stress now is different than when I was obese
I seem to have better control of many areas that I used to think could not be easily handled. they seem easier now ..I really think we need to be more aware of our feelings and deal with them ..I remember when I had the breast cancer I forced myself to eat healthy using the reasoning that I would heal better with proper nutrition even when I wasn;t hungry due to the radiation treatments they kill appetite...
I accually planted flowers out side so I had something pretty to look at when I was coming and going for the treatments . It is all how you look at stress..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

justmejust replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh and Judy, I agree that the lack of jobs now and the stress on the unemployed makes it more likely for people to give in to bad eating, overeating, smoking, etc. Our mass food production is so chemical laden, our soils are often polluted by chemicals, oceans are polluted, even our air quality everywhere on earth is too high in carbon dioxide for health and well being. I guess the strong survive.
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

rohvannyn replied to justmejust's response:
Agreed about the nasty stuff in the food production. But at least the C02 helps the plants grow, which in turn replenishes our oxygen. We definitely need ways of destressing!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
This is a great thread. Thanks Kali for starting it. Interesting article and interesting comments about it as well.

I am terrified (no, I'm not being overly dramatic, that is the correct word) of regaining my weight. I have an occasional nightmare about it in fact. I still see the fat me in the mirror sometimes, although not as often as I did. This is my motivation to keep eating healthily. I think if I didn't continue the mental and emotional work (e.g, different coping skills), I would be right back with the majority of Americans eating fat laden, chemical laden foods even though I know better. The food industry should give us healthier choices at cheaper prices, but in the end, the choice to eat well is ours.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Always heavy finally got my dream body after losing 130lbs 5 years ago....i maintained until my first pregnancy, now I'm 230lbs again. I need to t...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.