Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Liquid Lunch
rohvannyn posted:
Been tinkering with my lunches lately. I keep having this problem where I'm not hungry in the morning, and it's easier to eat unhealthy stuff than it is to eat healthy (with current food prep, time, and budget) so I'm trying to make it easier to eat healthy stuff. Even if it's still hard to chew. Tired of hard boiled eggs, so I decided to go liquid.

I had some leftover whey protein, sugarless, strawberryish flavored. You can't really tell. I got some nonfat dried milk. And I had some left over Klass drink packets around, they are all sugarless and make one quart. Kind of like Mexican Kool-aid, but with decent ingredients, and they come in mango, hibiscus, and horchata flavors. I get them six to the dollar. It's add-your-own sugar kind, so I can use stevia instead.

Yesterday I tried a packet of mango mix with a couple scoops of whey protein and about 2 cups (non reconstituted) nonfat dry milk, plus two packets of stevia, in 20 ounces water, shaken and refrigerated. Not bad, a little bitter maybe. Enough protein and it didn't spike my blood sugar.

Today I did a packet of horchata, a couple scoops of whey protein, two cups worth of dry milk, and no stevia. That was actually pretty good. No bitterness because the horchata was a different flavor. Didn't really need sweetener, there was enough in the milk and the whey. I like it because I can sip it at my desk, and that saves valuable time for things like walking.

I'm going to scrape some grocery money out for soy protein isolate, so I can use that along with dry milk, I like to vary my protein. Then I can get back to walking at lunch. Those two things alone will help a lot.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout responded:
Roh, you sound like my bf. He'd really rather not eat solids in the morning when it gets hot outside. Although his shop is airconditioned, there are too many times to count that he has to go on a "call out" and work in other shops or even in open fields on logging machinery or sawmills or tractors, that obviousle DON'T have A/C.
He really much prefers the protein drinks. I am thinking of picking up some Muscle Fuel or something like it for him to take to work. Like you said, it can be mixed in water and just taken along, sort of like the powdered enfamil for babies with mommies on the go.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
As a plus, Muscle Fuel looks nice and manly. Not like froofy DIET STUFF. I think I'll make some up for the weekend so I am not so... nibbly.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
LOL, yeh those big guns on the front of that HUGE container..... somehow I keep hearing SHREK saying.... "do you think he's compensating for something?"

I like the banana flavor, my kids came home with chocolate and strawberry then proceeded to overindulge with extra serving scoops and 2%milk, lol. CHA CHING! Hear those calories clinking into that glass??!

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 176.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

And I can hear the extra dollars in that glass too... that stuff is expensive! But if I buy that instead of junk food it's a lot cheaper.

I'm happy. Just got a smallish container of the local Kroger brand protein powder, which is basically whey protein, soy protein isolate, a little artificial sweetener (sucralose) and vanilla flavor. 25 grams of protein in 2 scoops. I added some nonfat dry milk to it, shook it up the night before and refrigerated it.

It mixed up really well, didn't clump (unusual for this stuff) and best of all, kind of takes like a liquid sugar cookie. I'm pleased with it!

(By the way, Kim, I just did a dragon head on my Deviantart account that you will probably like, my user is the same as here.)
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, I just checked it out. You are right, it's very cool.
I have to say that the acrylics and pastel pencils are my ultimate favorites. The orange in the one is just so beautiful, and the electric blue in the red one is like eyecandy.
I will have to commend you, Roh. You are doing alot of work , extending yourself. I can tell that you are reaching to improve your art.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

Thanks so much! *cries a little* That means a tremendous amount. I love to work with vibrant colors. The orange one hasn't been hung yet, but the red one is on the bedroom wall... where the morning light can hit it and make it glow. I'm working on a new project, illustrating a story, that is all in pencils. Thinking about this keeps my mind off of food. Like they say, when you break an addiction, try to replace it with something else. Art makes me feel good. Way better than junk food. Your support, and that of others, is very much valued.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

rohvannyn replied to rohvannyn's response:
New liquid lunch, by far the tastiest yet:

About a cup worth of nonfat dry milk.
Two scoops of Kroger brand vanilla protein powder
(soy protein isolate, whey protein, flavorings, sucralose)
A heaping teaspoon cocoa powder
(not cocoa mix, just plain powder)
Water to fill 18 ounces of a 20 ounce bottle
Shake well
Refrigerate

This was awesome. Not too sweet either.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

To be very honest, I have never really had an issue with my weight until very recently.Other people seem to have an issue with my size and wanted to m...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.