Skip to content
I need simple...I need your ideas
ladylavender posted:
Hello everyone. It's nearly 11:30 p.m. here in Eastern TN, and I'm headed to bed soon. That's right, I'm aiming for bed before midnight, mostly because my head hurts a little, I've had a horrible work week, and tomorrow will be extra busy.

Okay, payday is tomorrow. I want to start stocking my fridge and cupboards better. I need simple ideas for meals, please. It isn't that I can't cook, it's that my energy is so low that just working and trying to keep up with laundry, mowing, etc., doesn't leave much leftover for cooking. Although, if I can cook a one-dish meal that will last me a few days, I can manage that.

I need to do better at planning, and I STINK at planning. I also hate going to stores, so I do try to have a list with me to minimize the time in a grocery store.

I don't even know WHAT I need at this point. I just need something. I keep losing (and finding) the same 6 or 8 lbs. Blech.

Thanks in advance!

I have a local farmer's market on my to-do list tomorrow 'cuz I figured the least I can do is start having salads made up. That's quick and easy enough.

Honestly, I don't know what I'm asking here, so whatever ideas you want to throw at me will be fine.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Abby,
If it were just me, living alone, it'd be alot easier. So if that is your situation, you ain't got it half bad.
Throw away your white rice and pastas, they are cheap and you can do better
Get a box of whole grain spaghetti, a few strands go into stir frys and pick up the sauce well.
Get a bag of Brown Rice, no flavors added just rice.
If it's Walmart go to the deli section and pick up some heart healthy 60 calorie flax and wheat pitas . I'll tell you why after the list
Ground Turkey, get butterball not jenny O it's watery and nasty
Boneless skinless chicken breasts
Either steel cut oats or reg OLD FASHIONED oats, not quick
Green bell peppers, onions, a couple of cloves of garlic, romaine lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, celery, cukes and zucchini are always good to have on hand
canned no salt added tomatoes
frozen pkgs of veggies, no butter or flavor added
and an assortment of fresh fruits

condiments like low sodium soy sauce, mustard , light or fat free mayo/miracle whip
spaghetti sauce
part skim shredded mozzerella , fat free shredded cheddar
Laughing Cow light wedges that can be melted into veggies or on meats to add flavor and variety

a half gallon of low fat skim milk , soy or almond milk
eggs
low fat yogurt , greek if you like it

With the pitas, they can be used whole as wraps, or low cal personal pizza crusts , cut into pie shaped wedges and heated till crispy to use a "chips" for dipping hummus , and halved/opened to use as sandwich pitas.

FOR SIMPLE FAST RECIPE IDEAS , I suggest logging onto our community then clicking the RESOURCES tab at left.... there's a link to our personal recipes here and some links to other sites that we have tried and approved for taste and ease of preperation.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
OH ! and PAM or Crisco Butter flavored cooking spray is a MUST.... you can even spray it on air popped popcorn to give it a buttery taste without the calories....

huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Ooooh, good ideas, there, Kim, especially with the pita bread and Pam spray, etc. I had the spray but ran out and forgot to jot it on a list...I forget about the pita bread, but that would satisfy my bread craving without as many calories!

Laughing Cow light wedges. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

I guess I should have listed some things I already do, LOL, but good to know I'm on the right track:
The whole grains I do.
Old fashioned oats are on hand, but I need to make oatmeal more often, ha. Not doing much good just sitting in the cupboard.
I use soy milk (never liked "real" milk, blech)
Will have to skip most dairy, which especially includes yogurt (my body doesn't like dairy much anymore, but that's a good thing really) I used to like the soy yogurt, but then I actually read the label and saw all the sugar content and so don't buy those anymore.

Let's see, oh! Yes, there was an earlier conversation about pasta sauce, and I've been doing my own for the same reasons - it's so easy, and I can control the ingredients.

I mean, I don't mind preparing simple things...just not into complicated recipes and such right now unless I have company, which I don't, ha.

Yes, it's true, in several ways I do have it easier as far as the meals go because there are no tempting foods in the house to begin with unless I bring them in myself, but on the other hand, I never really feel like cooking because it's just me and I hate to create a sink full of dishes just for me. I need to tell myself I'm worth cooking for, I suppose.

That's a great list, Kim. Much appreciated.

Oh, one last thing...I notice ya'll point towards the low-fat or fat-free things a bit, but (for anyone else reading this), please also avoid the high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and that's very hard to do with those low-fat or fat-free things. HFCS is extremely bad for our health, and it's in so much of our food now, but I think as more concern is raised about this, manufacturers are beginning to give us other options again.

I don't always read labels, especially if I have a craving and I just don't care at that moment, but when I do read labels that is definitely something I avoid, along with "partially hydrogenated" anything.

Okay, I will also keep your advice to others in mind about sticking to food that has few ingredients. I was admonished that somewhere else, too, so that's a good reminder.

Fruits, veggies, pita bread (maybe hummus!), whole grains (I spelled it "grins," HA!), the cooking spray...sounds like I'm making out my list!

Oh, and I do need to cut back on the pasta a bit, even though it's whole grain, I still overdo on that. Heavy on the veggies, less on the grains...check.

I just needed help getting my brain in gear again...Thanks again!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

totallywiggedout replied to ladylavender's response:
Just a very basic list Abby. I do suggest that you look at our recipes though. there are a few very quick easy stir frys on there that I think you might enjoy because they ARE quick and healthy.
Also we have some smoothies listed, and munchie ideas.

take a gander at those recipes and get a broader idea of what to shop for...
all ingredients are listed so it's way easier to fill our a list to go shopping with/or chk your cupboards first

huggs
k

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks again! I will check out the communities fav recipes.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Discovered Pinterest recently...Ran across this one:

"Not everything that is faced can be changed,
but nothing can be changed until it is faced."
-James Baldwin

-Abby

ladylavender replied to ladylavender's response:
Whoa, that's a lot of recipes...will have to peruse more later..those lasagna spinach rollups looked interesting.

-Abby

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! I live in middle eastern TN. If you don't mind me asking which city do you live in?
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Hi Abby,

add a couple of lemons and limes to Kim's list, plain seltzer and fresh berries if you can afford them. Lemons and limes perk up plain tap water, seltzer and add pizzazz to cooked chicken breasts and vegetables. The American Heart Association has a recipe for a salt free seasoning.

AHA mix:
1/2 t. cayenne (red pepper)
1 T. garlic powder
1 t. each of the following, ground
basil
thyme
parsley
savory
mace
onion powder
black pepper, freshly ground
sage

If your ground spices are more than 6 months old, buy new. The kick of flavor from fresh spices can make any meal more satisfying. If you don't have a pepper grinder, McCormick spices markets a cheap one among the peppercorns at your supermarket. We tend to have blander choices when we diet which makes us unsatisfied. Don't fall in that trap.

Cutting out the salt but keeping the flavor is the key to fast starting long lasting weight loss.
CW 229 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

ladylavender replied to blondie454u's response:
Hi, Amber...this is TNMist/Misty. I made a new identity on here to use my real name. (I'm a member on another board I wanted to keep separate. I have PTSD. It just felt safer.) And I wanted to use a real pet picture.

I'm in Cleveland, TN, which is near Chattanooga and about an hour or so south of Knoxville. I LOVE TN. Years ago I lived here for about 7 years, and I finally made it back. Despite some tornado possibilities at times, I still love it here. I love the change of seasons, the wild dogwood, etc. It's just so pretty. And, having grown up in FL, I didn't want to move to where winters would be extreme, and this is nice.

-Abby

ladylavender replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Thank you, Sharon!

-Abby

blondie454u replied to ladylavender's response:
I live in Crossville, TN so your more east than me.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

ladylavender replied to blondie454u's response:
Oh, okay! I looked it up. Not bad, from Cleveland, just hang a left at I-40 before Knoxville.

Ever been to Fall Creek Falls State Park? I heard it's very nice. Would like to check it out sometime. There are 34 miles of hiking trails there and several water falls. Supposed to be a beautiful area.

http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/

Not that I "hike," per se...Still, would like to see the place sometime. I have friends that have camped there.

Fall Creek Falls looks about halfway between us. That's why I asked.

-Abby

rachael2011 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Sharon- Thanks for the salt free seasoning recipe. I sometimes get in a rut and use the same things over and again. This one seems interesting!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 291.4 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

rachael2011 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Great list, Kim. I use the minute oats every day, though (the ones in the canister). Are the "old fashioned" oats better for you? Bc I eat them so much, I guess I should change if there is a difference in nutrition. I thought they were the same. Thanks!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 291.4 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always been fat, ever since the age of 8. I have tried diet after diet, diet pill after diet pill and I can't find anything that works. I n...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.