Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP ME!!!!!
tammybehan posted:
I am trying to lose weight,,, I need to lose about 50 pounds. Everything that I have tried has failed. I am getting very discouraged.
I drink lots of water and do not eat fried foods. I love pasta and bread.
I just need someone to talk to for help and encouragement. I have got to do this.....I really just don't feel good about me and the way I look.
HELP ME HELP ME!!!!

justmejust responded:
I know how you feel Tammy. Please tell more about what you want to do. How about walking a little every morning? Try having fresh spinach or an apple or other whole produce before you eat the unhealthy? I have about the same to lose.

Welcome,
Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard Tammy! First I would start logging your food and if you feel comfortable post on here so we can help you with your food intake. Also find something that motivates you. My motivation is my family and myself. I love myself too much to go back to old ways now. I love how I feel and look. I love the fact that I can play with my kids. You have to help yourself before someone else can help you. All we can do is guide you through the process and find what works for you. Slow and steady changes win the race. Take one day at time or if you have to take one meal at a time. Good luck!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Dear Tammy,

You have come to the right place. There are loads of tools here. The Diet and Fitness tracker enables you to journal your food and exercize and it calculates the calories. It will enable you to determine your nutritional totals, too.

Your specifying of bread and pasta as things you like tells me you are probably eating too many refined carbs. I'll bet you'll feel better if you cut your intake down. Carbs give you a wonderful sensation while eating and immed after, but can make you hungrier sooner.

This community makes it easy. I have 100 to lose (or did) now it's 95. I can only exercize 18 min. today. I don't always make the calorie goal that will insure my losing 2 pounds a week, but I always eat less than I'm burning. It have been overweight 28 years, I am hoping to get back to normal in 28 months.
CW 229 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

tammybehan replied to justmejust's response:
Hey thanks for replyaing back to me.....that is a great feeling. I want to be a size 12 again,,,,,lol I have 3 kids 30, 28, and 10 YES 10 and I have 2 grand children....I am trying to snack 100 calorie pop corn or fruits and vegetables. I have also downloaded the MY FITNESS PALE for my cell and I am keeping track on there,,,that way it is always with me I often wonder if I am going through the change and that is why I can not lose. I am going to talk to dr when I go.....but thanks again for replying,,,and keep me on TRACK......
Tammy

jis4judy replied to tammybehan's response:
Hi Tammy if you are starting menopause this is a great time to eat as low fat low sugar as you can it helps with the change symptoms.. I did the reverse when it was my turn to go thru menopause and gained about 100pounds over 5 years
and I suffered a lot with hot flashes little did I know at that time my food choices were making them worse . so be thoughtful of your choices ..
You got some great input so I am just adding my welcome along with menopause advice ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Tammy! I love bread too. Still have it occasionally, just not regularly. You don't have to completely give up the foods you love. You just need to have them as a special treat or reward like once a month. For me, then it doesn't seem like I'm depriving myself.

P.S. I make my own whole wheat/soy bread and then freeze it so I'm not tempted too much. Also, I know there are NO preservatives, just healthy stuff.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

totallywiggedout responded:
Welcome to our group , Tammy.
Reaching out is a great start. It will give you somewhere to go when you are feeling like you need encouragement and support and someplace to come celebrate your victories, large and small.

Pasta and bread. DEMONS! LOL Well, first things first. Make little changes you can live with. You CAN still have your pasta and eat it too, just NOT AS MUCH, same with the bread.
Instead of the spaghetti, elbows or noodles being the MAIN ingredient of the dish, try to add more healthy stuff then add in only a half of a serving of cooked noodles to the dish.
Example?
Say, it's spaghetti night.
Boil up your pasta as usual, drain and take out 1/2 cup of cooked noodles for your dish , set it aside
In a frying pan, cook up 2 oz of very lean hamburger and use a paper towel to soak up the grease.
Add in SLICED not diced Onions, Green peppers, whole or halved mushrooms, zucchini, fresh diced tomatoes and salt free seasonings.... cook till crisp tender and the tomatoes have released their juices, throw in a handful of fresh baby spinach leaves..... THEN add in your scant amount of noodles to warm them with the "sauce".
Toss to coat and serve.
You will have made your dish of spaghetti weigh in at less than 1/3 of the calories as a reg plate of spaghetti by doing it this way
AND
the added plus is that your veggies add lots more fiber which fills you up faster and longer than a whole lot of noodles does.
It feeds your body nutrient dense foods .
Little changes, BIG results

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Welcome to the group, Tammy!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

justmejust replied to tammybehan's response:
You're welcome, Tammy,

You are implementing some good habits. My Fitness Pal should be very helpful at keeping you motivated. Most women do put on weight or have difficulty losing during menopause. However, you might gain more if you weren't trying. That is what I tell myself. I am past menopause now, and this time is a challenge too as I need fewer calories than I used to. But I will learn a new lifestyle and eating plan, because I will not just give up. I do not like how I feel anymore long term when I eat non nutritious foods. I just turned 52. My three kids are 19, 18 and 15.

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

tammybehan replied to totallywiggedout's response:
K
Thanks so much for the idea with the spahetti noodles...I will try that one.....I just need to hear these words of encouragement. thank you again....I going to eat more raw veggies during the day at my desk when I fet 'snakie' feeling, and try to eat more of them throughout the day. I will keep you posted on my progress. How often should I weigh myself.....
Tammy

tammybehan replied to justmejust's response:
I love the MY FITNESS PAL it is really handy. I have go to get back to using it every day. I am in a platue' so I have not really been using it, and I have put back on a few pounds so maybe I am out of my platue' I will start back with that on Monday full force.......no need to start on the weekend that would be depressing......talk to you soon......
Tammy

Spotlight: Member Stories

hello , lost 4 last 2 week .NOW gain 4 again . Start at 296,June,2013.Now 270. Will, start walking to and from work. Back to eating 1567 aday. REMEMBE...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.