Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
So true.
abnersmom posted:
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
isn't that the truth love it !!!
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

SharonNVirginia responded:
I am 100 pounds overweight.

It has been 30 years since I was at my ideal weight.

Scientists tell us there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. '

Therefore, I am carrying 100 pounds times 3500 calories or 350,000 extra calories. Since it has been 30 years, if you divide 350,000 calories by 30 years, that yields an average of 11,666 excess calories I packed away as fat each year. If you divide 11,666 by 365 days in the year you get 32 excess calories I packed on as fat each day. 32 calories less per day could have written a very different story of my life. If I had just had an 8 oz. Coke instead of a 12 oz. Coke each day= and I believe I probably did average 12 oz of Coke per day, maybe I would never have been obese.

You can't undo damage like that overnight.
CW 229 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

mardee replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Sharon,

When you put it like that, it really makes you think a little more. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am sure that it does not work quite like that, but it is still boggling.
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

totallywiggedout replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Sharon,
Sound math skills put to very effective use. Scary when you think just how easy it would've been to cut out that extra 30 or so calories per day. ...
thinking
thinking
thinking.......
Makes me wanna SCREAM, actually

If only someone would have pointed that out when I was a kid, or again, just after my divorce(I actually got down to 130 lbs from 182 over the divorce 23 years ago) when I started getting into a SERIOUS Pepsi habit---- of up to 6 20ozers a day while working in my factory job.

Burns my butt to think how easily cutting 30 calories would have been vs 2 or so years of the journey and then lifelong maintenance...
grrrrrr

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mog1026 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Profound, Sharon. Thanks for that.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 203.6. GW 165

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Very interesting perspective. Could cutting just thirty to fifty calories a day really make that big a difference? Maybe it would because it's seemingly so simple and easy. Who knows? It's true though, small efforts can add up to big results given enough time.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi Roh that 30 to 50 cals was figured over 30 years
I my case I gained 100 pounds in 5 years after my Mom passed away spent 5 years trying to diet and exercise it off and failed . It was another year or 2 before I had the bright Idea that I should focus on healthy foods and eliminate the unhealthy stuff. this worked like magic the first 6 months were the hardest because I was fighting cravings ...I am pretty sure that if we are currently eating enough to gain weight cutting 30 or 50 cals wouldn't do any good ..and would also take 30 years to get to maintaining if it did work.
the weird thing also is as we age our bodys need less calories
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

brokeinside responded:
I've been fat since I was a kid, i got food poison when I was four and admitted to hospital they inject me vitamins so that I'd gain weight cuz i was like a stick I grew up with my grandparents and my granma likes to bake.
I get bullied and all depress with my life I was only 7 when I learnt Im a bastard and I got more depress because of that. I ate lots of food because it makes me feel good. I was pointless and my life is just sriraling downwards. until I realized I want to change and thats it:)
CW 181 SW 181 GW 150
I'm so far behind I might run over myself

abnersmom replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Wow Sharon, good one. Judy has it right though - focus on healthy, clean eating and the rest will take care of itself. When I first came here, my focus was only on calories. I was not watching the nutrition part at all. Judy helped me realize that the nutrition part is what we need to focus on. I still count calories, but now my calories are usually only from nutrient rich foods. i try to buy organic as much as possible. It is more expensive sadly, but when you start educating yourself about our food industry, you can't help but buy organic!!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

totallywiggedout replied to brokeinside's response:
broke, here's a quote for you to keep in mind

Your past does not equal, nor does it dictate, your future.

You are what you make of yourself.... Only you , no one else can make the decision for you to change for the better. And if you just sit around bemoaning what happened when you were 4 years old, then you are simply wasting precious time .
Don't pass the blame onto others or past events for your failings. It's counterproductive. It does NOTHING to help you and can only hinder you by making you emotional. What's past is past. You can't change it. You can't "take it back". You absolutely MUST resolve yourself to what you can accomplish TODAY and in the FUTURE...because that's ALL YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH... but it is EVERYTHING to work FOR.

hugs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom replied to totallywiggedout's response:
LOL, Kim. I posted something similar on another thread. Great minds....

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
Of course! That's why we are HERE!
It's hot here too, but there is no way in Holy Hell I'd get up at 430 to do ANYTHING!
I commend you on your quest for continued greatness though.

hugs
k

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I love this Kim!!!!!!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I get up at 4:30am and I'm ready to go! I love the morning seeing the birds and the rabbits. I also see deer sometimes.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My weight has crept up on me through many years of negligence - over eating and not eating the right foods. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.