Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New lamps for old, new lamps for old
SharonNVirginia posted:
The sorcerer in the classic tale of "Aladdin and the Magic Lamp" wanted to trick Aladdin's mother into trading in Aladdin's old, worn, magic lamp for a new, shiny, ordinary one. "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg is a book compiling scientific studies on people who have traded in bad habits for good.

Let's face it we all have old worn cursed habits we would like to trade in for new positive blessed habits. And eating habits are some of the hardest to trade in. Duhigg says that people have much more difficulty discarding old, bad habits if they don't substitute new good habits.

What about you? What bad habits have you traded for good habits, and made it stick for 6 months or more?

Fat and smokin' hot only 3 miles from CIA headquarters,
Sharon

okay, I'm just smokin' hot cause of the weather. [whimper>
CW 229 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

Take the Poll

Having traded a bad habit for a good one, I think I was over the hump, having completely adopted the new one and dropped the old one in..
  • 3 weeks
  • 2 months
  • 3 months
  • 6 months
  • 1 year
vote
View Poll Results
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Sharon
I chose 6 months It took that long to replace Ice cream with yogurt I use fat free plain yogurt and make a dessert out of it that's a food switch and I exchanged laziness with activity that was a little easier for me than the food change
I use 1/3 to 1/2 C of yogurt 1/2 T honey 2/3 C berries and it is now a regular thing ... I still like ice cream and indulge maybe 3 times a year now.. I cannot keep it in the house otherwise the old habit will return..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Sharon, I chose 6 months too.
Pepsi and chocolate...... Daily and LOTS of it... I used to call my first Pepsi and candy bar of the day, my "breakfast of champions" eaten as I walked back to my CNC lathe in the factory.
Thinking back ,that's almost a whole day's worth of calories in just that first "meal" then I'd do it again, at least once during the shift, add in a couple more pepsis during the day and WOW! That's a LOT of calories.... sigh
My poor body.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
I traded smoking for exercise. I have traded bad foods for good foods to get more of a satisfying life. To clarify bad foods make you feel awful and goods make me feel so much better about myself. Now when I think of a treat I think eating real food such as foods that aren't always in season like cherries and pineapple.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

justmejust replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy,
That sounds like a delicious replacement for ice cream! I use it when I remember. If I could discipline myself in my food, and learn to practice tracking food religiously I would be even healthier.
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

jis4judy replied to justmejust's response:
Hi Laura I have it every day I sometimes add 1/8 C great grains crunchy pecan cereal to it or my sugar and fat free shredded coconut just a pinch/... I also use fat free plain chobani greek yogurt
It is rather yummy frozen berries work good in it during summer makes a cold creamy treat

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
I think it took me at least six months to get control of my chips addiction. I absolutely love chips, big giant bags of them!! I cannot have them in my home and I never will, but I really don't think of them as much anymore (just when I see them at the grocery or when I'm at a social event).
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - Don't exchange what you want MOST for what you want at the moment.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie I had a chip habit as well as the sweet tooth baked goods habit candy the works along with pasta too big a serving. I had so many things that needed to changed it is amazing even to me I did it LOL I do have chips once in a great while when I am out and away from home I am becoming a hermit LOL

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Mine isn't really a chip habit, like it isn't a chocolate habit, or a brownie habit.... it's more like a compulsion.... If I start on them, I really can't stop, sometimes, MOST times until they are gone.
It's a type of insanity I suppose....

hugs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Me too kim It was more like an addiction than habit
I went through some really strange cravings when I gave that stuff up . I had vivid fantasies about eating ice cream that was my worse addiction .. the others were different more like I ate them because they were there ...

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy and Kim, Of course, chips were not my only vice. White potatoes at every meal, very few healthy veggies, just generally poor nutrition and portion control. Although I have completely changed my eating, the "old" way lurks just under the surface all the time. I have to be mindful and keep the junk out of the house. I have to commit to healthy eating every morning.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie..is it super hard to maintain? I mean with what you said about old habits lurking just under the surface.. and having to be mindful almost every time you approach food...idk..
Just is s art since my fall thru with fruit loops tonight, I'm wondering if I'll ever make it and keep it off. Like you said its always lurking...but is there ever going to be a time when its just what you do and don't have to think about it anymore? Its just second nature? Or is it always going to be a struggle now?

Huggs
K

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim I am jumping in here Maintaing is just like the weight removal phase. being aware of your choices I can honestly say that having the house with no or not many temptations helps
having the kids around with their own demonous choices
can make it harder ..You have 4 others in your home that can distract you from your journey I have only 1 that can sometimes take my mind off my journey. The real key is we are going to slip so make them less harmful by limiting portions and make sure some real time has passed between these slips I am talking weeks not hours ...while removeing weight it is helpful to string several weeks together without a slip same is true for maintaining... Debbie lives alone she has less distraction than either of us she should do well in maintaining .. You have more distractions you have to deal with:( so I believe it will be harder for you:( prove me wrong please!!!

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy. You and Amber are the experts here in maintaining. For the newbie at maintaining, Kim, I can say it is the same journey as the removal phase except that you can add a few more calories. It truly is not different for me so far. I was back down to 153 this morning after my 5lb. gain on vacation. I had gotten used to the little bit extra food during maintenance and am struggling a bit with removing these pounds. I will do it though. It is too important to me .

There is one thing that might be harder about living alone and removing weight. there's no one around to make you feel guilty if you pig out. LOL!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
Thanks Judy and Debbie. Last night I was feeling just a tad hopeless I guess. I wondered "if I can't make it with 2 back to back Challenges of 20 days, hth am I going to get to where food is NOT the center of the Universe for me and maintain forever?"

It is scary and it would be so SO much easier to just give in to temptation and let the chips(ha ha) fall where they may.

I would just love for it to get to where it isn't a struggle. To have some sort of guarantee that at least SOMEWHERE down the road in the future, the RIGHT choices will be as automatic as grabbing that brownie on the counter has been for the last 40 some odd years.

These musings don't mean I will give up, ever, because I HAVE come too far. But I gotta say, it is way easier still at this point to give IN and that upsets me just a bit more than I'd like to admit.

huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been on a weight loss journey since I was 13. I had a major physical ailment hit me and didn't get to be the active kid that I had been.....More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.