Skip to content
weight loss for woman over 50 help!!
nodiets posted:
I need to know that its possible to lose wt when you are over 50.... I have been trying .... well so so trying.... and now im determined to do it....

any success stories that you could share.... please!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mog1026 responded:
Most of the regulars here are approaching 50 or waaaay past it! Our Guru took off 100 lbs at 64 and has maintained it to this day when she is 70. Age is not the barrier....the Munchies are!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 203.6. GW 165

nodiets replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks.... i guess that means i can hope to do this..... Im 54... alot of things happened over the past 5 yrs.... and now im 50lbs overweight..... any thoughts on getting a jump start..... i could sure use it..... I went thru a job loss and starting eating shortly thereafter........ugh..... not a good plan...

so how did you get started....

mog1026 replied to nodiets's response:
I'm 64 and I started mid January. I'm down over 30 and the Lose-it app has been a big help to journal my food and count calories. There is a food tracker here on web md too that a lot of us use. Honestly the biggest help to me has to be this group. If you are a regular visitor and start to participate in the conversations it really does inspire you. This is just too hard to go it alone. I've tried that and failed before. There are a few people who have taken off a mass of weight and stick around to give the rest of us advice. Give it a try. What have you got to LOSE!

mog1026 replied to mog1026's response:
Start by trying to only eat real food. Nothing processed. Fruits veggies whole grains and cereals. Get the junk out of your system one meal at a time and the cravings will start to disappear. Have a healthy breakfast tomorrow and then let us know how you feel.

30 lbs thats awesome.... way to go.... i started the tracker on this site...it has helped make me aware of what im eating....i also just did a few of the quizzes about portions....and i totally flunked... alot to learn.... never had to worry about weight til i hit 50....then.. boom..menopause...kicked my butt..........

jis4judy replied to nodiets's response:
Hi welcome nodiets Menopause kicked my butt too but I did eventually take charge of my eating habits and it really was easier to remove the weight than it is maintaining ,,
that why I am still here checking in it sort of keeps my healthy journey in the front of my mind...It is a shock when you see the things you eat and how they affect your body..
some of us have stories just click on our photos or name then it will appear
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

nodiets replied to jis4judy's response:
thanks.... im pretty motivated and the stories ive been reading here have really helped...

totallywiggedout replied to nodiets's response:
Hi nodiets, Welcome HOME!
Our community is the best of the best. Truly inspiring, truly supportive and even in the bleakest of times , someone is usually on to commiserate with.
We share alot. Don't let it stop you though. You share what you want, but I'd bet anything, if you stick around, you'll start loosening up, lol. We all did.
This is more than the usual diet blog site. We don't "DO" diets. The basics for getting started are just that. BASIC. The less ingredients on a label, the better they are for you. NOTE that fresh meats and produce do not have labels. ONE ingredient, unless its something like "spring mix" or cole slaw mixture.... If it's man made, be careful of your portions or skip em altogether.
I went for more all natural and heart healthy stuff, like butter for margarine... stevia or honey for refined sugars.... whole grains instead of white breads and rice...Extra Virgin Olive Oil, EV coconut oil, grapeseed oil instead of corn or vegetable oil.... I use PAM or CRISCO butter flavored spray on everything from ovenfrying *sprayed on both sides and roasted", to roasting to spraying on my airpopped popcorn.

If you like to eat out, you still can on occasion. Just ask for a to go box to come WITH your meal. Don't touch the food till you have that box! SPLIT the entire meal in half and box one half. Set aside for tomorrow or the next day. Half is enough. You'll be surprised how well this works, because you still get to eat out, eat what you like , only half. There's no real deprivation to deal with so you are satisfied.

sign in on this community, click resources at the left... scroll down for recipes from our members and member tried and approved recipe sites AND on another discussion find some really great exercises for starting out and keeping going with.

glad you joined us
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

nodiets replied to totallywiggedout's response:
your tips are great...thank you.... this is where i need to be...i think ive found the help i so desperately needed.

abnersmom responded:
Welcome nodiets! I'm 59 and started this weight loss journey 2 years ago this month. This board has helped me so much on this challenging journey. I hope you will stick with us. You can do this. I've been maintaining my goal weight for over 6 months now and plan to stick around here so that I don't get off track. These gals will keep you accountable!!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

Lewc62 responded:
I'm 62 and have lost 100 lbs. in the past 2 years. Still got 154 to go, but I refuse to surrender.

totallywiggedout replied to Lewc62's response:
YAY Lewc! Welcome! I'm glad you came over and that you have come so far on your journey already. Good for you!
Got any advice to the rest of us about how you have done it so far? What you are doing now and how your life has changed so far because of your winning at losing?

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Yes, please share more of your journey! I try to think of things in terms of smaller goals, but it's very overwhelming to me anyway.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I am 49 yrs old and have decided that there is absolutely no way that I will weigh as much as I do by age 50. I haven't been heavy all my life...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar: All you need to know
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/dangers-of-sugar_b_3658061.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.