Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying to think differently
ladylavender posted:
I finally made it to a grocery store today, although I didn't have time to figure out an actual list, but I had to at least buy some toilet paper, LOL. Okay, so I'm at the grocery store, see? And as I was carefully deciding how to spend a few dollars, I was passing by the cookie isle, and the ice cream, and the frozen pizza, and who knows what else because I kept saying to myself, "If I don't do things differently, I will never be able to change."

I only got a few things because I have to be careful with my budget, and I need to figure out some meals first for the coming 2 weeks (until next paycheck). I was looking at my items before they were bagged, and I almost wanted to stop and take a picture of the stuff because I didn't grab anything I shouldn't have for a change!

I mostly hung out in the produce section debating about a few things and finally have some ingredients for making a salad besides a bag of spinach leaves, ha. Last week I had some squash and zucchini, but those ended up at a friend's house when we got together for lunch and just ate at her house...We did sautéed veggies (with a little veggie "chicken") in fajita bread. That was a fun and delicious lunch.

And I snagged some fruit including a nice-smelling cantaloupe that was on sale...I had a yen for hummus, too, and bought some small-sized fajita bread, a few tomatoes...I may be regretting all the fruit because I forgot I still had grapes at home, and too much fruit all at once keeps me close to the bathroom, but some of it isn't quite ripe enough to eat yet anyway.

Guess I should remember my signature line more often, ha.

I'm just tired of thinking about food! I'm trying to be different this week. I'm very bad about running through a drive-thru instead of planning ahead, and I'm finally putting on my "big girl panties" and telling myself no and banning any drive-thru. I have food in the house. I have to use it. Trying some self-parenting here...

Hmmm, maybe my med is kicking in a bit, but it's only been a week, and usually that stuff takes longer. Either way, I just want progress instead of treading water...Treading water near my highest weight is NOT good. Slow and steady is fine, but I need to at least morph from a slug to a snail!

Addictions are tough. Thanks for being here, everyone. Thanks for listening.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
ABBY!!!! NSV , BABY!
You had a great NonScaleVictory at the grocery store. Not buying the "usual diet demons" is a HUGE success!
Eventually, it'll even out. Right now, with just starting out and having to buy the bulk healthier stuff, like regular oatmeal , smaller pitas (which you can freeze btw) , healthier rice and pastas, better oil choices,,, etc. It gets expensive. But NOT buying the chips, the icecream, the cookies etc, EVERY week will add up to a savings.
The biggest expense is if you let fresh veggies and fruits go to waste. We have all done it so start getting in the habit now of freezing items that are just about on their last leg.
Super overripe bananas freeze well, peel, cut in half and zip lock em for smoothies or mashing into oatmeal or into healthier oil free muffins and such.
Grapes freeze well, too if yours are getting to close to the throw away zone. Don't wash em first, just take em off their stems and freeze in ziplocks or in freezer containers...
Melon, cantalope, honeydew etc, not watermelon though, can be chunked up and frozen. Freeze em with strawberries, blueberries, grapes and you have instant fruit salad in a flash.(note, anything with a "skin" like blueberries, grapes, cherries etc should NOT be washed before freezing they wither and get tough if you do)
...Apples, pears, peaches all can be sliced and frozen . In fact all fruit is more fun to eat when you eat it frozen, especially on hot days
...zucchini, yellow squash, fresh green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. all can be frozen.... lightly poach the broccoli and cauliflower if you want.
...Onions , chop up a whole bag at one time, freeze in a gallon ziplock and use as needed for recipes, WAY easier and less time consuming when you want dinner NOW.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh, my! That's a lot of info. Thanks so much! I forget about freezing fruit. Gotta start doing that, starting with the grapes. I knew about the no-washing rule for blueberries, and it makes sense that it would apply to the others, too. Never gave it much thought before. Thanks again!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Abby. Just wanted to add a "Nice Job in the grocery store". You ARE making the transition you seek. Keep it up!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 285.4 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

abnersmom responded:
Abby!!! You did fantastic! Not having that junk food in your house is a HUGE step forward. Congrats!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy responded:
great job shopping Abby like Kim says that is a non scale victory. I love fruit and it might be responsible for my regularity
I do have to learn to include more whole grains myself but sometimes I forget
You are right addictions are tough but we are tougher!
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

ausgram replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Gosh, I never knew that about not washing blueberries. I wash them all the time before I freeze them. Huh. Thanks for the tips. Your a good kid. ha ha ha!
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -186; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be yours

ladylavender replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks, everyone. You are very kind.

-Abby

mog1026 replied to ladylavender's response:
Yea Abby! The grocery cart is a huge victory because that grocery store is a minefield! I love the idea of taking a picture! I feel what you are saying about being tired of thinking about food. It's one of the hardest things about this journey. It's so much easier to be an unconscious eater, but look where that got us. The only way out of this is to use our minds to control our appetites. I think that's what we are doing here. Posting here is like going to the mental gym for weight loss!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 203.6. GW 165

ladylavender replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks, Kathy...Well, it crossed my mind to take a snapshot, but I didn't. And that's a good thought - it was NOT caring enough about what I ate that got me in this fix.

I've had a brutal workday, so I'm going to go nurse a headache now and be grumpy for not having an ounce of comfort food nearby. I would have normally plowed (ploughed?) through at least a medium-sized bag of peanut M&Ms or a pint of ice cream by now. But where does that get me? Then I just feel worse about myself afterwards and get that sugar drop that leaves me lethargic.

It's a good thing I can't stand the taste of alcohol (even in food) or I would probably be an alcoholic by now, too. (And hat's off to anyone battling food and alcohol both. I can empathize. I lost my oldest sister, technically half-sister, at age 37 from alcohol, chain smoking and drug addiction.) That's another reason for not messing with alcohol. I feel like I'm honoring her memory more by not going down that path. Sounds weird, huh?

Well, don't know how I got into THAT. Thanks for listening.

-Abby

mog1026 replied to ladylavender's response:
Ah Abby, I'm afraid I hit the equivalent of the old m and m's today. I just can't seem to get back to the motivation I had a few weeks ago. You are so right about feeling worse afterwards. I don't drink either. I like the taste but it gives me an arrhythmia so I learned the hard way to stay away. I don't really miss it at all and it's been about 20 years. I don't think it sounds weird at all to honor your sister that way. It makes perfect sense to me. I think a lot of people use alcohol the same way that we use food. Not alcoholics per say, but over indulgers on a regular basis. Ultimately it's all just sugar in our bodies.

totallywiggedout replied to ladylavender's response:
Not really weird at all Abby. My whole family smoked. My parents and both older sisters. I never did. Never wanted to because I am 12 years younger than my next sister up and frankly their coughing scared the b-jesus outta me and I never liked the smell. Or that it makes you look like a dragon, lol.
My dad was a "functioning alcoholic" . He was a postman for 23 some odd years and never missed a day unless he was dead sick(like pneumonia, not hungover) and my oldest sister was a flower child.. she did every drug under the sun and washed em all down with booze, usually cheap a-- wine.
She finally went to pure Grade A alcoholism with a 1/5 of vodka a day habit. Drank herself right into a left hemisphere aneurysm , brain bleed, and has been in a wheelchair in a nursing home for the last 25 years.
So I watch my consumption pretty carefully. That's why this last time out, with the 2 quarts of Blue Moon buzzing through me, gave me the heads up that I'm maybe a bit old for that sorta crap... lol

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

ladylavender replied to mog1026's response:
Thank you, Kathy. Hope you get your groove back soon!

-Abby

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Holy C--p! Both of you effectively lost sisters in the same tragic way! I am so sorry. We always hear of this or that celebrity who has kicked an addiction to booze and drugs and then seems to carry on with a new healthier life without consequences. Ordinary folks don't seem to be so blessed, and I wish the dumb kids who flirt with these temptations could realize this. Rog and I have talked about how our parents in the 50's drank enormous amounts of hard liquor mixed drinks each evening as a matter of course. Nobody messed with wine. There would be a martini waiting as Dad got home. And then a few more as the evening wore on. Maybe they were all pickled for most of their adult lives! And did I mention the cloud of cigarette smoke that permeated the entire house? I can't believe any of us kids survived that daily assault on our lungs from birth. And we treat weight like its the most heinous health crisis the country has ever faced?

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I'm sorry to hear about your oldest sister.

I know what you mean about the smoking. My father smoked most of his life, and I hated it, everything about it, and when he would try to quit he was even angrier than usual.

I didn't have M&Ms tonight, but I did find a box of Bisquick in my cupboard and made some blueberry pancakes. It wasn't the best choice, but, hey, I actually cooked from home, LOL.

-Abby

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have lost over 100 lbs 2 times in my adult life. I was thin as a child. Due to some major surgeries when I was a young teen and the inability to be ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.