Skip to content
Talk about obese
LorenaVergara posted:
I am eighteen and weigh 270 lbs. I'm new on here and i an desperate to lose weight before i end up with health issues. I've tried so many things. I need help I guess.

mardee responded:
Well, you have come to the right place C= just read through the posts. That is what i did when i first got on here and i found some really good ideas =>
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Lorena, Welcome!
At 18 , do you still live at home or do you live out and shop and cook for yourself? It really helps if you cook your own meals because you can pay attention to details and you KNOW what's in it.
What you normally eat is a biggee , because obviously, it's not working. Even if you THINK it's healthy, it may not be. This is where we come in. We help you with food alternatives, serving sizes, options that you may not have thought of.

Don't take on too much at first. If you feel overwhelmed , you'll be more apt to quit....
as in... Don't say, tomorrow I'm going to cut calories, and do a workout, and shop for better (healthier foods) and , and and......
Pick ONE thing to focus on first.
I picked getting acquainted at the store with my favorites like Miracle Whip and checking for better options, like Miracle Whip light. LOL , THAT was a nobrainer, but there are a lot of things out there that SAY they are healthy, Like HEALTHY CHOICE and they actually have way more sugars and sodium because they have to add something when they take out the fats to make it taste good enough to get you hooked..... READ LABELS you'll see what I mean.
Along with shopping, I did this for a few days and made lists of better options and stuff I wanted to try, Then you revamp your normal recipes to get them healthier.

SIZE MATTERS ! look at your normal serving size, and cut it by 1/3 at first. And then remove either the rest of the food from the area or remove yourself from the area of the food.
NO SECONDS.
EVERYTHING COUNTS.... other than water, black coffee and unsweetened teas, NOTHING IS TRULY CALORIE FREE. Google it, if it has calories , you gotta count em per serving.
Join in the discussion daily. Let us know how you are feeling and what you're up to. Some of us log our food, AM weight and what exercise we have done or anticipate doing right here, front and center.... it keeps us accountable not only to ourselves but to the group at large. Yeh , it'd be easy to lie, but what exactly would be the point of that if you really want to succeed here?

huggs
and welcome aboard
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Kim as give you great advice! Welcome!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

abnersmom responded:
I'll add my welcome! For me, I focused mainly on getting control of my food first, then worried about exercise. In fact, I really struggled with exercise for a long time, but because during weight removal, I RARELY went over my calories on any given day, I lost weight all along. At first it came off quickly, but I continued at about 4 lbs. a month over the long haul. Did a lot of soul searching along the journey as well. You can't change your habits without looking at the big picture. I think learning more about myself and what I was "hungry" for along with the support on this board made the biggest difference in my journey this time.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

mog1026 replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie I really like your response here. I want to duplicate your trip. Lorena, pay special attention to Amber. Read her story and see what she's done.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 203.6. GW 165

abnersmom replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks, Kathy. Not everyone can or wants to do 1200 cals. per day as I did. You have to be careful with your food choices when you eat that few calories because you can neglect nutrition. Also, you WILL get hungry. I drank a lot of hot green tea on those days when I had the hungry horrors. I'm not sure I would have stuck with getting to my goal if I hadn't been consistently removing weight.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie I am Happy the 1200 cals worked for you
I had a hard time eating less than 1400 cals while removing weight .. there were a few days that I did go lower and few that I went higher not much I think I averaged 1500 a day while I removed weight.. and that seems to be my cals to maintain..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

SharonNVirginia responded:
There is a great book, "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. In it he analyzes people who succeed in changing powerful habits successfully.

There are a number of reasons, but the one that struck me most was that if you want to drop a habit, you will have better luck if you adopt a new habit.

When I was your age, every afternoon I would have a Snickers and a Coke. I couldn't seem to shake that habit. If I had instead adopted a habit of an unsweetened iced tea and an apple, I would probably have succeeded.

I am still hooked on Coke, but over the past 3 or 4 weeks, I have kept plain seltzer water in the fridge and when I want a Coke I have a seltzer. Usually I would have a Coke per day, but I have succeeded in only having 2 Cokes in 3 weeks! That's a savings of over 2600 calories! Since you have to cut 3500 calories to lose a pound, that and other changes I have made are resulting in a slow and steady weight loss for me.

You're young. You don't have decades of bad habits behind you. You're still in good health. You will succeed.

Cocker spaniel kisses,
Sharon
CW 222.8 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I think 1200 cals. is too low for most people If you'll remember, I wasn't exercising regularly AND I think all the years of yo-yoing really screwed my metabolism up. I'm maintaining with 1500 to 1600 cals. a day with a lot more exercise. Sad, but true.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
That's true Deb no exercise then 1200 is easier I was allredy walking daily before I fixed the food I get a lot more exercise now with the weight lifting and other stuff like gardening..
etc
and still to maintain I need only 1500 cals a day
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi everyone! I stumbled upon this discussion site and realized that I have never tried this type of support. I was a very thin child and young woman, ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.