Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weight Loss Wisdom- The Quote of the Day
SharonNVirginia posted:
The harder you try to diet (with deprivation, with willpower, with the sheer stubbornness to avoid pork rinds), the more likely it is that you'll drown in an industrial size jar of marshmallow fluff.-"You on a Diet: The Owners Manual for Waist Management" by Michael F. Roizen, M. D. and Mehmet C. Oz, M. D.
CW 222.8 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
that's probably true for most of us It was the reason so many attempts I made and failed at happened I tried to cut too low and deprive too much .. the key is to allow favorite foods into the plan just smaller servings and less frequent
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

tristaj90 replied to jis4judy's response:
I certainly have had this happen throughout this last year and a half. I allowed smaller portions of my favorite foods and was so good about counting calories. When I hit my goal I decided to allow for more messups.. and there we are with a half gallon of chocolate ice cream, and ice cream cones.. yeah I portioned them out and counted them..but 4 ice cream cones within a few hours? That's not something I should have allowed myself.
~SW 234 CW 135 Would like to reach: Goal 134~
Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort.-Theodore Roosevelt

jis4judy replied to tristaj90's response:
Oh Trista I am on my journey about a decade 10 years and I still cannot trust myself with Ice cream in my house
Keep the small servings and less frequent forever

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
True, Sharon. Just the positive thinking switch from "diet" to healthy journey makes what you HAVE to do to remove weight less burdensome. Still, it does take willpower and determination to make the healthy changes.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
We have a new frozen yogurt place here called Sweet Frog. It's alot like Orange Leaf where you get your soft serve from the wall of flavors, then put whatever toppings you want on it and the whole thing gets weighed.
It's cheaper than O.L. and it seems to be better tasting. I allow for once a month. And have found that if I get 1 spoon of something like the tiny caramel cups and then a few spoons of fresh blackberries or raspberries, I'm satisfied. I get no other toppings like syrups, caramel, or fudge but even with those options right there, I don't want them.

Some of that is too sweet now, I find. So it's easy to say no.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

SharonNVirginia responded:
If your goal in reading this book is simply to be told the answer to the question "What do I do to remain lean or lose the excess fat I have?" then this is it: stay away from carbohydrate-rich foods and the sweeter the food or the easier it is to consume and digest-liquid carbohydrates like beer, fruit juices, and sodas are probably the worst-the more likely it is to make you fat and the more you should avoid it."--"Why We Get Fat And What to Do about It" by Gary Taubes
CW 222.8 SW 229 GW 130

mog1026 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Rocket science, right Sharon
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 203.6. GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Rocket science is Roh's territory.... Roh's dad is a scientist in that field I think ..... I ,on the other hand, prefer brain surgery. A good lobatomy cures just about all of your nasty habits.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim I think they tried brain surgery to remove the desire to over eat on foods It did not work It goes deeper in us than just the brain cells. I believe the over eating habits is part of who we are as a person and changing that takes a lot of resolve..

Today's quote is from Webmd.com:

Studies show that breakfast eaters eat fewer calories overall than breakfast skippers. Probably because they eat less at lunch.

From the video "Weight Loss Secret Weapon" They also have guidlines for grams of protein at breakfast and fiber. I was disappointed they didn't specifically mention oatmeal. Also they did not forbid refined flour and sugar which is the only thing that works for me.
CW 220 SW 229 GW 130

Anchoring ( a philosophy from Weight Watchers)

"You're a successful person. Think about it. You've accomplished so much in your life by using a wealth of resources, like patience, confidence and determination, to help you succeed. ....

Here's how to tap your resource of "determination":

1. Remember a time in your life when you got the results you wanted because you felt determined.
2. Choose something you can do to remind yourself of that time. This is your anchor. For example, touch the ring on your finger or visualize the word "determination" in your mind. (or remember how you look at goal weight)
3. Think once more of that time and invoke your anchor.

4. Repeat as necessary/.

Copyright 2001 Weight Watchers "Tools for Living"
CW 220 SW 229 GW 130

It's not just "calories in and calories out".

"Most diets promise commonsense solutions to tight-pants problems. Eat less and you'll weigh less. Keep your mouth closed, and you'll keep the pounds off. Sweat like a sauna-dwelling sumo wrestler, and you'll wind up skinnier than a sheet of paper. Straightforward enough. But if it really worked that way, then we all must be a bunch of rebellious hellions with mayo-covered lips and belt busting bellies who don't feel like following a few simple instructions.

Or it could be that most diets have it all wrong.

We believe it's the latter." You on a Diet by Michael F. Roizen, MD and Mehmet C. Oz, MD
CW 220 SW 229 GW 130

ausgram replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Ohhhhhhh my head is swimming from all this information!

AusGram -SW - 194; CW -186; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be yours

Step 3-Have a Daily Serving of Soluble Fiber

There are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. Both are great for you, but only soluble fiber-found in oats, barley, beans, and some fruits and vegetables-lowers your blood sugar in a big way. Here's why: Most whole grains are rich in insoluble fiber, which passes through you undigested. Soluble fiber dissolves in water, causing it to form a gum in your digestive system. This gum creates a barrier between the digestive enzymes of your stomach and the starch molecules in food. That slows down the conversion of starchy carbs in a meal into glucose. And that means lower blood sugar for you.

Eating more foods rich in soluble fiber will also improve your health in other ways. Oatmeal, which is among the best sources of soluble fiber, is famous for lowering cholesterol: it may also lower high levels of unhealthy blood fats called triglycerides as well as reduce blood pressure.
from Reader's Digest Reverse Diabetes
CW 219 SW 229 GW 130

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello everyone, I'm a 46 year old mother of a son, two dogs, and two fish...LOL. I'm married and really need to loose this weight for myself. ...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.