Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Support and Help
An_252494 posted:
I'm a 41 yr old mom of 3 (4yr old boy/girl twins and 8 yr old girl). I'm a stay at home mommy with a husband who travels a lot for work. I want to be healthy for my kids, as I grew up w/over weight parents and promised I would not be like that. Well I am!! Weight gain started w/medication sideeffects and then large babies. I do not feel hungry and I don't like to eat. I have been making myself drink more water and try to eat w/kids. Any suggestions, comments, and prayers welcome.
Sorry for being so long.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi an-494..welcome aboard!
I have a big question....if you don't like to eat and are not hungry....why aren't you losing weight?
See, I'm kind of a stickler for accountability and truth...foremost ,to ourselves.
The TRUTH is probably more ugly..like you don't like to fix meals because your husband isn't there most times to share them with. So you GRAZE..you piece eat(apie e here .a piece there..)
You see...you can't kid a kidder,hon. We are all or WERE all fat people too. So it does no good to try to hide anything here....we already KNOW. Lol

Now..to begin at the beginning..you are NOT losing weight for your kids. You are losing weight FOR YOU. Trust me this is one time and one situation that you HAVE to put yourself first. Love yourself like you love your children. You are the only YOU you've got too.
Start a food and fitness planner.. here on WebMD .fit day.com. or Livestrong.com
Chart everything you put in your mouth for a few days..then start making changes to eat smaller portions aiming for raw fresh..whole natural..lower fat...higher protein..lower sodium and no sugar added items.
You're at home...so cook. From scratch...not from a high sodium box...switch anything white like rice.pasta.and bread to whole grain.
And again log it ALL..keep logging till you have a healthy balance of nutrients . Eat a rainbow every day...drink at least 64 oz of water a day....get out and DO Some Exercise.

You'll make it . We'll be here to help

Huggs
Kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

SharonNVirginia responded:
Hi Sweetie (An_252494 sounds so cold.),

Welcome! You are in the right place. Sign up for the weight loss newsletter and check out Dr. Peeke's blog. Knowledge is power and you need to get some!

Medication can make you fat, but you have to face what's keeping you fat. No blame, mind you, cause I'm there too. For years, I have said "All this silliness about whole grains doesn't fool me. Cut out all refined sugar and flour to lose weight? Isn't a calorie a calorie in whatever form?" But now I've been reading and educating myself and (gasp) giving up my beloved daily Coca-cola (It's only 140 calories, I count it in my totals.) My favorite starch, white rice, is off the menu. And here's the funny thing-I feel better. The weight is not exactly falling off, but I am 59, diabetic, high bp, high chol, cancer survivor, profoundly depressed and I am pretty much sticking to my eating plan. Go figure! I am discarding about 1 pound a week and I am thrilled with that.

Check out Dr. Peeke's blog from December of 2012. It has her great SMART plan for changing your life.
CW 222.8 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

healthy4kids replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you for your suggestions and comments. I do need to clear up one thing. I truely do not feel hunger. I can go a day without eating and not realize it after I get a headache the next day. I have had days of grazing, but normally I eat very little?? I know I need to eat to kick start metabolism and have made myself do just that. Maybe you're right I am kidding myself. BUt I know today I have had an apple and a big bottle of water and it's noon?? I don't know??????

healthy4kids replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Thank you for your suggestions and coments. I am in VA as well. Healthy4kids is my login. I will look at the information you suggested.

Thanks

blondie454u replied to healthy4kids's response:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to healthy4kids's response:
Maybe not, healthy, Now I'm wondering , have you had a checkup lately? My bf thinks this sounds like thyroid problems.
Could it be? I mean , if you aren't hungry and really not eating much, SOMETHING is making you retain weight.
Let us know.
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

abnersmom replied to healthy4kids's response:
Welcome Healthy4kids! I agree with Kim. If you are not hungry, not eating and STILL retaining weight something is amiss physically. A doctor's visit is a must. You need to find out what is causing these symptoms. Please do this and keep us posted on what you find out. Wishing you the best.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

healthy4kids replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you.. I have gone for a physical and waiting for blood work results. Starting an new exercise routine today, so maybe that'll kick start metabolism. Thanks again for everyones support.

SharonNVirginia replied to healthy4kids's response:
Healthy,

Exercise makes me want to eat healthier, hope it works for you. I am going to my doc's office today to get a copy of my most recent bloodwork. I plan to keep it and next time I get bloodwork, compare and look for improvement. Don't let the scale be your sole measure of success. Keep a health diary with all your statistics. Measure hips, waist, bust, upper arms and thighs regularly. wrists and ankles too if you have some to lose there. journal your food and weight and exercize and state of mind. Progress towards better health doesn't come with a steadily declining weight but with progress of many fronts in jumps and plateaus.

You might try visualizing future you. Weight, dress size, energy, mood and all. Cheer yourself every time you make a step toward her. You exercized today. Hurray for you one step toward future you. You adopt a regular eating plan and stick to it. This will kick start your metabolism. Skipping meals as you are now puts your body in starvation mode. Another step, hurray! Journal your food for the day, hurray.

3 cheers for healthy4kids!

adiposely, but not for long,
Sharon
CW 220.8 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

Spotlight: Member Stories

I going through menopause and gained 10 pounds to my top weight of 240. I am 5'10', so people told me I carried my weight well, but the bottom...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.