Skip to content
THAT MUCH??!
totallywiggedout posted:
We long termers know that carbs burn fast and furious for good "instant" energy, but don't fill you up for the long run...
We also know that PROTEINS burn slowly over time, to feed our bodies longer and keep our blood sugar levels , well, level... without huge peaks and drops..which keeps our bodies from becoming truly ravenous.

Sharon is having troubles keeping full. Is sounding like she may not make it if she can't find a way to get full and stay full longer..... She's HUNGRY.
Proteins, Sharon. Proteins.
Over the last few days worth of menus at least, I have checked your intake. Hon, You aren't eating enough for your weight. And If you are doing ANY exercise at all.... then you for sure need to eat more to lose more AND keep fuller.
I see you are eating yogurt... It's good, but not very filling. Have a hard boiled egg instead, have two if you ditch one of the yolks.

You had a chicken kabob the other day.... lots of veggies and very little chicken , I'm betting. Less protein, less filling. Good choice but you need to have at least half a skewer with decent sized chicken chunks.

Craving Chinese and you make soup..... umm, yeh... high sodium and so little protein I don't doubt it took two servings for your meal. AND to add insult to injury, it didn't KEEP you full.

Sharon, there's a sweet and sour chicken recipe on our resources AND a beef broccoli recipe with whole grain pasta in it. You get a FULL plate of food that will keep you full and way less fat and sodium than you got in your soup.

These are the recommended guidelines for daily protein intake. Please read it, figure it out for your weight and try to get close.....

It would depend on how much you eat, your activity level and if you are building muscle mass or just maintaining your muscle mass.

The minimum protein need would be 15% of your total calorie intake.
I'm a woman and only need 1,200 calories/day. 15% would be 180 calories divided by 4 (4 calories for each gram of proteins), so I would need at least 45 grams/day (it's really the minimum for sedentary women).
Now, if I exercise for 300 calories a day, and then eat 1,500 calories (instead of 1,200 calories), I would then need 225 calories from proteins (still 15%) which would be 56 grams.
If I'm exercising in order to build muscle mass, I will have to get at least 20% of proteins in my diet (and therefore reduce fat intake), which would then be 300 calories or 75 grams.

Now, a 200lbs man would need at least 2,000 calories intake, before exercising.
Let's assume a 5'10, 20 years old 200lbs man would need 2,065 calories…then 15% of proteins would be 310 calories and 77 grams.

Men: Basal Metabolic Rate = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x 200lbs ) + ( 12.7 x 70 inches ) - ( 6.8 x 20 )
66 + ( 6.23 x 200lbs ) + ( 12.7 x 70 inches ) - ( 6.8 x 20 )
66 + 1246 + 889 — 136 = 2,065

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Just take your daily calorie intake, 15% of that should be proteins (divide by 4 to get the grams). Get 20% if building muscle mass and 25% if building A LOT of muscle mass (like you're a bodibuilder). huggs k

Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mog1026 responded:
Wow
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 203.6. GW 165

SharonNVirginia responded:
Thank you so much, Kim! I was wondering about protein requirements but hadn't seen it anywhere. This is really heavy nutritional science.

I have always eaten a LOT of meat, cheese and eggs. I know I have to find a happy medium between too much and not enough. I will use your guidelines.

cocker spaniel kisses and chinchilla cuddles,
Sharon
CW 222.8 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

jis4judy responded:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/how-to-eat-healthy/MY02264

this link explains healthy eating with how much you need Of certain things Like carbs protein and fats etc
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
fitday.com gives you a complete daily nutritional value if you log your food there. There's even a pie chart of your carbs, proteins and fat. It really helps me to know if I'm over on protein because that is my tendency. I do love my chicken and lean meat!
The other ones may do the same thing, but that is the one that I use.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I just graduated from university with my Bachelor of Science in Psychology! Unfortunately, that's not all I gained from college lol. Hopefully I w...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.