Skip to content
The cleanse diet??
mardee posted:
I was just wondering if anyone has tried a "cleanse" or "fasting" diet?? I have an old high school friend that told me about it. It is where you eat only the bare minimum for 3-5 days and take supplements for nutrients.
What she is allowed to eat a day only adds up to 200-300 calories. All of it is raw veggies and this really weird lemon juice/shake.
It is supposed to reset you metabolism and clean out your insides. And also help get rid of some of your water weight.
My only issue is that if it will throw my metabolism out of wack and also if it is even healthy to do so.
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

totallywiggedout responded:
Mardee, not only your metabolism will be thrown out of whack, sweety. Your pancreas, your liver, your heart, literally ALL of you organs will begin to feed upon them selves to get the calories they need in order to keep your body functioning.
Anything over 24 hours isn't considered a "cleanse" it's called volunteer starvation.
Your entire endocrine system, will be thrown into chaos and if you aren't careful with these "cleanses" and caloric deprivation ideas, you could die. You could cause your body to go into insulin shock, or cause your heart to enlarge with retained fluids (congestive heart failure), or a myriad of other possibly fatal "complications".
Let me ask you this. Have you asked your DOCTOR if these are safe? Probably not and I'd bet dollars to donuts your friend hasn't asked hers either. If it's so safe, why not ask a health professional about it? Ask about worst case scenarios for doing this.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old with a ten month old daughter...I have been heavyset all my life and as i got into high school my weight dropped well ive been going...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.