Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

The cleanse diet??
    mardee posted:
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried a "cleanse" or "fasting" diet?? I have an old high school friend that told me about it. It is where you eat only the bare minimum for 3-5 days and take supplements for nutrients.
    What she is allowed to eat a day only adds up to 200-300 calories. All of it is raw veggies and this really weird lemon juice/shake.
    It is supposed to reset you metabolism and clean out your insides. And also help get rid of some of your water weight.
    My only issue is that if it will throw my metabolism out of wack and also if it is even healthy to do so.
    Mardee
    SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
    Be motivated!!

totallywiggedout responded:
    Mardee, not only your metabolism will be thrown out of whack, sweety. Your pancreas, your liver, your heart, literally ALL of you organs will begin to feed upon them selves to get the calories they need in order to keep your body functioning.
    Anything over 24 hours isn't considered a "cleanse" it's called volunteer starvation.
    Your entire endocrine system, will be thrown into chaos and if you aren't careful with these "cleanses" and caloric deprivation ideas, you could die. You could cause your body to go into insulin shock, or cause your heart to enlarge with retained fluids (congestive heart failure), or a myriad of other possibly fatal "complications".
    Let me ask you this. Have you asked your DOCTOR if these are safe? Probably not and I'd bet dollars to donuts your friend hasn't asked hers either. If it's so safe, why not ask a health professional about it? Ask about worst case scenarios for doing this.

huggs
    k
    Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let me start by saying ... Last time I was a Size 4 was Toddlers. I have always been well padded. I think my whole adult life I was pretty much bounci...More

Helpful Tips

Don't wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas to buy a Turkey....
    I find it so much easier to munch on Turkey which is full of protien to hold your hunger. I buy a Turkey once a month. Just Turkey, no ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.