Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Walking again!
justmejust posted:
Hi everyone, I am almost afraid to mention this, but for the last three days I walked 3 miles each day. That is 9 miles! I think I am even feeling less pain, numbness and burning in my foot while walking. Sweating too, and the sweat feels good. Also, I believe my core exercises are getting me back in shape to do the longer walking.

I know Judy walks this much every day. In a year that comes to 1,095 miles!

How much is everyone walking?

Cheers!
Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

mog1026 responded:
Not at all, (sob!)
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 202.9. GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

abnersmom responded:
Hi Laura, Congratulations on your walking. That is the best exercise to start with.
I'm running now and usually do 3 miles each run, but i did my first 4 mile run last week. Plan to increase to 5 eventually. My goal is to do a 10K this fall.

Keep up the good work with your walking and core exercises. It is empowering to feel those muscles working!!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Dear Laura,

You inspire me. I am not yet succeeding at walking daily, but I am walking a little farther and burning a few more calories each day.

I use a phone ap to keep track and I take Amber, my cocker spaniel, with me.

24 years ago, I suffered a broken ankle so severe I was told I would never walk without a limp again. I was told I would never have full motion in my left foot again. After suffering through physical therapy and doing everything they said, I could only walk 1/10 of a mile. I did it without a cane and I concentrated on having an even and steady gait. It was tremendously painful and even on cool days I broke into a full sweat. So every day I did that 1/10 of a mile plus one more telephone pole. I didn't keep track of how long it took me, but eventually I could walk 4 miles in an hour without a noticeable limp.

The key is baby steps like you say and constant progress.

That's how I'm looking at this lifestyle change. I may not change much on any given day, but all the little changes add up.

I have a picture of the woman I want to be. A woman who starts off the day with a 3 mile run. A woman who participates in 10 K races. A woman who reads the Bible daily and serves God. A woman who beats diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and acid reflux by holistic means. A woman who eats healthfully except for one splurge meal a week. A woman who wears size 12, who fits easily in a folding chair and who can share the word of God without people thinking "How can she have all the answers when she can't even control her weight?"

I'm gonna get there one step at a time.
CW 221 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

rachael2011 responded:
A little over a mile and a half on the treadmill today. It felt good to be back at the gym.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 280.8 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

rachael2011 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Hi Sharon. I like your picture of your future self. You will get there! You will always have your ankle injury story to inspire you of what you have accomplished so far.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 280.8 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

ausgram responded:
I walk a lot, to the table, to the refrigerator, to the bathroom then to bed. Oh yeh, to the computer too.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -186; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be yours

justmejust replied to ausgram's response:
LOL AusGram! I'm LOL over your comment! I am VERY familiar with that walking routine!!

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

justmejust replied to abnersmom's response:
Thank you Debbie! Great accomplishments and goals on the running! I would love to run, but it isn't in the cards for me, at least for now, because of my low back injury and foot symptoms.

Thank you for the cheerleading and support!!!

Laura : D
Laura

justmejust replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Thanks Sharon, you inspire me too. Your attitude and energy to overcome some health issues remind me all the time that I can do this too.

Laura
Laura

mog1026 replied to justmejust's response:
I'm echoing what Laura says to you Sharon, but it also applies to you too Laura. Seeing what you guys do, keeps me up and moving and motivated to stay positive. It would be so easy to sink into depression and give up trying. But you get better every day and it keeps me believing that I can too. Thanks guys.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 202.9. GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Laura, you're doing great. Let me commend you on your consistant walking lately.
Pat on back, HIGH FIVE!

I walk the mile in the AM 6 days a week
then I have the eliptical which is sorta kinda like walking , I do a 1 1/6 ish on that , 6 days a week
then I walk with Bowzer in the PM 1/2 mile 4 nights a week.
Approx 15 miles/week give or take

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

totallywiggedout replied to rachael2011's response:
Hi Rachael .
You are doing good too. That's alot more than you started out doing, right?
Grats

huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

justmejust replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy, you are brave to say so in your post! Girl, you got me beat on the weight by more than 3 pounds, for now. Hey, we have the same goal weight too!

Huggs!
Laura
Laura

totallywiggedout responded:
So totally in the realm of POSSIBILITIES for you Laura....
keep your dreams in sight

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am a mom of three beautiful "grown-up" children, I have landed here on this page because I have to get a grip on my weight. I have gai...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.