Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not motivated
mardee posted:
I really need to work on my motivation!!

Every time that it is time to start my work out, walk or whatever it might be, I just make an excuse.

I am too tired, it is too hot, and I can just catch up tomorrow, yadi-yadi-yada.

I wish there was a motivation button that could be pushed. I bet if that was the case, I would be a size 0 in no time. But that is not the case, and motivation is not just going to fall out of the sky.

Sometimes I wish I could just give myself a pep talk that would work, than this journey would be easier. Haha

Has anyone else ever struggled with this?? Because honestly, I go up and down weekly with my motivation to lose weight. Some time I just think it is easier to not care.... But that is a horrible mind set.
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

totallywiggedout responded:
We all have, Mardee. It is a struggle.
You haven't been at this long enough or CONSISTANT about your exercise enough to make it a habit yet.

What are your personal medical issues...
why did you want to start your journey NOW instead of "someday"?
What was the final thing to push you to try to make this commitment to a healthier lifestyle ?

was it maybe diabetes and the possibility of having to maybe deal with some of the severe outcomes of the disease?

was it having to deal with severe Arthritis pain and inflammation?

or was it just plain ole SUPER OBESITY?

How much more motivation do you need? There are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of obese people in the world.
And only ONE YOU
Are you willing to make yourself extinct over food?

Here's what I say to myself on the mornings I don't feel like walking...

It's only a mile Kim . Get dressed and just go do it.

You have enough inner strength to live fat.
You definitely have enough to get healthy.

Go do it, Mardee.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Kim is right! That's why I keep going.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Laura has a great slogan on her posts. "baby steps"

Start tomorrow. Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier than usual. Get your butt up and walk for 15.

Do that for a week. Then add something or increase your time. If you don't want to start with exercise, then make one healthy change to your diet for the next week. The idea is to keep every change you make forever. After you get used to it, it gets easier.

But really, no procrastination! You don't want to be like me, creeping up on age 60 having been 50 or more pounds overweight for 28 years. You don't want to take drugs for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, GERD, depression and breast cancer.

Change now! Make tomorrow a better day.

Smoochies,

Sharon
CW 219 SW 229 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

justmejust responded:
Hi Mardee, I struggle with it. I love it when I am on a roll and actually want to exercise because I know how it makes me feel. But I do wish I could be more proactive to get even more healthy. I have 38 more pounds to go. It's going to be a lot of work and a lot of behaving with my food.

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

justmejust replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Hi Sharon,

Good advice for Mardee. Thanks for quoting my motto. By the way I read your list of health issues. They all will improve as you lose weight, and most of them will go away.

As for me, sleep apnea, sore back and foot, finger joint pain will go away or reduce with less weight. Knock on wood, my sleep apnea pressure has been reduced from 11 when I started in 2008 to 7 last year and 6 this week! My sleep doctor told me last year to lose the weight and I won't need the apnea machine, so that is what I am doing.

We can all do this with the support from one another!

Cheers!
Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

mog1026 replied to justmejust's response:
And that scary post from Kim is exactly why we need her around so take care of yourself. Who else would think to find those pic! ((shiver)) Don't do any of that daredevil stuff like coming down the back stoop!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

mardee responded:
HOLY COW!!! Those pictures sent a shiver down my spine! The diabetes picture is just terrifying.
But as far as MY motivation goes, I just want to be thin and healthy. There was really no underlying reason that caused me to want to lose weight. Well, other than wanting to have a better self image and self esteem. I guess am flat out tired of being the "big girl" in my group of friend and among my family. For instance, my best friend is only a size 2 or 4 on a bad day. We will go shopping and I am always so envious of the clothes that she is about to fit into without needing to hunt down a bigger size. Because we all know that at a regular store, unless they have a plus size section, it is impossible to find an XL shirt. But that is the main reason I started this journey. I have never taken into consideration of the health issues that come along with it. But now that I think about it though, I bet my knees and hips would feel a million times better without all of this extra weight.

Baby steps is right, I think I just over whelm myself to often. I attempt to start everything all at once. I change my entire diet and entire lifestyle over night, and it only lasts about a week. Maybe two if I am lucky.
Well, today I am going to start by actually walking during my breaks. All together that is at least 45 minutes a day of walking. The one good thing that I have changed and stuck with is my breakfasts. Every day I would go through McDonalds drive thru and get a sausage McMuffin and a Sausage Burrito. Now, that is a once or twice a month thing and it is only when I have to work on the weekends. Now-a-days I try to get yogurt or whole grain cereal. It is still cheap, easy and I can eat it at my desk when I get to work.

Next week, I will start incorporating a veggie only lunch
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

ausgram replied to mardee's response:
Mardee, I have no motivation either. Let me tell you something. It gets worse the older you get. I struggle constantly with knowing I should walk or do some kind of exercise and can't get this big body to do it. We just have to keep trying. that's all I know what to do. Sometimes it works for a while, sometimes it don't. But what ever you do, never give up trying. So what if you fail more then you don't. Longs you keep trying that's what counts.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -186; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Lap Band Surgery -to do or not? Hi,42years old,124kg,married,2 children & 2 dogs. 4months ago after being in allot of pain in my knees,joi...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.