Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
article about how to deal with a splurge
jis4judy posted:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/what-to-do-after-overeating

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

ausgram responded:
Judy, don't want to discourage you, but this didn't help a bit. Nothing in that article helped me. One of the doctors touched on what COULD HAVE helped, but then dropped it. And that's the way it is, no one really has the answer for why we over eat and what we REALLLY could do to prevent ourselves from doing it. Probably the answer is self control and we all know that. So to me that article was a waste of space. ha ha ha!

Is what I just wrote a call for help???
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -186; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

jis4judy replied to ausgram's response:
well AusGram what I got from it was to accept that it was an indulgence and get back to a healthy journey asap it is when those indulgences become a continuing habit that they become trouble . also never starve your self after an indulgence those are important points just go back to enjoying the healthy foods you normally eat .

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to ausgram's response:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha ! Aussie, I'm with you! Duh? What do you THINK you're supposed to do after a splurge? Recite the alphabet backwards? Put three pennies in a shoe and bury it?
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Sorry Judy I didn't mean to denigrate your post. I just keep reading these things looking for the magic genie and of course there isn't one.

Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
I think there's good advice in the article and good reminders for some of us at least. A lot of it is no-brainer stuff, but if it's all so easy and we all know it, then why do some of us forget about it anyway? Sometimes the best advice is the simplest, and therefore the hardest to remember when we need it.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, what sticks in my mind isn't from this article. It's something you wrote the other day. I'm keeping it in the front of my mind....

"Morbid, but necessary. And all the better to keep our goal in mind, that is to stay out of the oversize coffin, and be able to get onto the helicopter if we need help. In the end, as I said, this subject, and the subject of weight loss in general, is not really about the moods and the thoughts and the wishes and the lies we tell ourselves, it's about cold hard facts and simple physics. It's the key to our success, too. All the other parts of it are important too in that we can better understand it. But the facts stay the same no matter how much we wish they were different."

Milton, Paradise Lost

SharonNVirginia responded:
Thanks Judy!

Which of us hasn't horribilized a fall off the wagon into a full scale eating frenzy? What's helpful for me is to log every biteful of my splurge on the food & fitness tracker. Then I divide it by the 3,500 calories per pound figure and say okay, I ahave set myself back by x. Do I want to set myself back more than x? If not, I should take it like I used to take a fall from my little brother's demon-posessed shetland pony. Pick myself up, dust myself off, locate the eyeglasses by feeling around on the ground and re-mount the hilariously misnamed "Prince".

The thing which I find best prevents these falls are my snacks of .5 oz. of walnuts. I think they must really even out my blood sugar. I used to get so hungry that I'd be as mean as the people in the Snickers commercial. That doesn't happen anymore.

The other really New Agey thing I do is something I've never heard of anyone else doing. Before I fall asleep every night and sometimes in the day, I start at my current weight 218 and I count backwards very slowly. As my count continues, I imagine how I will look and feel at each pound. I remember when I last weighed so little. I imagine wearing cute clothes and not finding theater and airline seats a tight fit. I imagine my doctor saying "Your labs are good, we can cut your medication". I think about how good it is to finally weigh less than my younger son who just turned 20.

That may be the best thing I do for myself every day.
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

Kathy, hopefully it was helpful!

The whole subject kind of reminds me of a little essay I wrote about our faithful bodies, and how I learned to love myself. Since I'm having such a terrible time loving myself lately, and need to be reminded of my own reasons, I may repost it if anyone has interest.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Sure I'm interested Roh.

Sharon, 202, 201, 200, 199 (that's a good one) 198, 197.......

Milton, Paradise Lost

There, I bumped it for you.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to ausgram's response:
Hi Ausgram
Here is the last paragraph that tell you how to succeed

The only way to win the game "is to be meticulous about your total calories for the week," Dollar says. "If you don't stay on top of things, you'll slowly and subtly lose the battle. You have to be conscious every time your hand goes from a plate to your mouth."

"

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 15 years old and currently 190 lbs. I am 5 feet 2 inches and I know that in order for me to be in a healthy weight range I have to lose 60 pounds...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.