Skip to content
I'm a Lurker !!!!
LVLaura posted:
HI all,

I have been reading all your posts for many, many months now. I feel like I know all of you. I can relate to all of you in many aspects. I haver been overweight since I took my first breath of life. Lol. I work at a high, high stress job at a 5 star hotel. My biggest problem is I am an emotional stress eater. I work crazy hours so normal meal times for me are impossible. I had a total knee replacement on Feb 12. My knee hurt so bad and it was so warped looking. I had absolutely no cartlidge left. That surgery was the best thing I could do for myself. I can now out walk people 20 years younger than me. Walking is my favorite form of exercise. I love it. I lost a few pounds after the surgery and I'm fighting hard to keep it off. I have clothing in 4 different sizes!! Anyways, ladies I'd love to grab ya'lls hands on this lifetime battle to correct my food insanity/suicide. Thanks <3
FirstPrevious12NextLast

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Lurker Laura. Glad you have come out of the closet so to speak. I was an emotional stress eater too, but I can control it most of the time now. I also always used food to celebrate. I find exercise one of the most helpful ways to avoid the stress eating pit. I also use meditation now.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

totallywiggedout responded:
Welcome! FINALLY! I just KNEW someone was looking over my shoulder!
Now I can put a name to her....
LVLaura, or LurkerLaura as Debbie calls you, lol Works for me!

A 5 Star hotel position huh? Well, there MUST be a gym there. Do you get to use it at all during off peak times? HMMMMMMM?
and/or a pool?

Water exercises are the absolute BEST for achey, bad or even replaced joints. Even replaced parts wear out over time so you want to choose exercise options that put less strain on the man made hardware.
Walking is my poison of choice too. I try to get is SOME every day.... may not be my full mile in the AM but I can't not do it now. ... even if it's just pushing a cart at walmart around and around the outside aisle with big bags of dog food in the cart , then that's what I do.

You've dropped some weight, that's great! tell us how you are doing it and what your plans are now that you are "out" amongst the living....

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
Hi Lurker Laura welcome aboard
I also like walking as my fav exercise
I started out Lurking too a long time ago
I am happy to hear your knee surgery was a success
Healthy eating is also great to help your body repair itself give your body the right Nutrients and it can do wonders
if you use potion control as well you can remove some weight
since you have been lurking for a while you probably already know about health eating and exercise journaling

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
A knee expert! Hooray! So glad you are here! I may pepper you with questions at some point if that's okay.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

justmejust responded:
Welcome LVLaura, it's nice to meet you. Please tell us more about you.

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! Kim has given you great advice on fitness and I am going to give you food advice. I use to work crazy hours as well. When I got a day off I would prepare all my meals in advanced or the day before. You can do it if you take the time to plan things out. Make small changes and don't try to do it all at once. Buy lots of produce and keep it cut up and ready for the go all the time. Individually wrap your meats for single servings so that way all you have to do is get it out and cook it. If you're making a casserole just put it all together the night before and have it ready to cook the next day. I am sure you can google tips and tricks on planning meals for a busy lifestyle, just because it worked for me doesn't it will work for your lifestyle. Keep posting and great job!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Carry a couple of handsful of walnuts to stave off the hungries. .5 oz of walnuts, or about 6 walnut halves is 100 calories and can restore your sanity long enough to chose your next meal wisely.

No more lurking! We want to hear more from you!
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

LVLaura replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim,

We're not permitted to use the facilities at work but I do have a pool and hot tub at my home. I do walk in the pool and exercise in it on my weekends. I walk 30-40 minutes on my lunch hour.

I have good and bad days of eatting. My biggest challenge is late night when I come home from an insanely stressful night at work. It is my comfort zone. Weekends can be hard as my boyfriend takes me out and I live in the gluttony buffet area of the world. Same days it gets tiring watching everything I eat but I am very mindful. I am as you say a bad diabetic. I had to start using insulin about 3yrs ago when my kidneys started looking bad. Weekends I use less because I walk for hours. I have to shut up twice a day. I hate needles always have from when I was a kid.

SharonNVirginia replied to LVLaura's response:
LVLaura,

I'm a diabetic, too. It's tougher on us, but usually there are better choices and worse choices even at a buffet. My husband will fill my plate for me at the buffet when I am feeling really tempted. He has also changed where he takes me to eat now because he is encouraging me. Shirley your boyfriend will want to help you in your transformation especially because he'll be getting a more vivacious and energetic you.

I'll bet you wonder how I know your boyfriend's name is Shirley!

Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

LVLaura replied to blondie454u's response:
Amber,

Weekends are hard. My boyfriend takes me out but I do cook on our "Sunday" night. I only see him on our weekends. I have been buying lots of veggies and salad stuff. We get a free meal at work and of course it is buffet style. There I eat alot of veggies and salad too. I try to keep it 3/4 of my plate veggies and 1/4 meat. Being single, I rarely cook when Im alone. Trying to kick the processed food habit but it's so hard since it easy and convenient. Most days it feels like there is more things to do than hours there are in the day. You have inspired me Amber as well as AbnersMom.......since my knee surgery I would like to WALK in a 5k. I am looking into this and see what is available here in Vegas to do.
Thanks so much for your help and support. Laura

LVLaura replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Sharon,

At work and at home I keep nuts. Mostly almonds. I love nuts but watch how many I eat.

I will try to get on here as often as possible. I can read posts from work but I am not allowed to respond to posts from work. I woke up early to get on here today.

Looking forward to hanging out with all of you....

Laura

totallywiggedout replied to LVLaura's response:
Vegas, just make sure to keep hydrated if you are going out to walk. You have dry heat, I'm in Louisiana and have WET heat. Either way it's a killer and you need to go prepared.
If you have a walking park near and know the "mileage" it's the best way to handle this. If you are going around a couple of times , place 16 oz water bottles off track every 1/4 mile or so. Drink at least 4 oz of water from each bottle as you come to it. Last trip around drink the rest and pitch or keep your bottles for next time. If you are only going once around , keep a bottle with you. 16 oz before the walk, 8 during and 8 after is what I usually drink.

Water isn't an option when exercising in the heat. Consider this... if you're not sweating, you are dangerously far into dehydration. When you stop sweating, your body is retaining all of its water in an effort not to shut down. If you shut down, you'll pass out from heat exhaustion.

Since you live alone, and fixing meals for yourself IS a chore, I know this too.... Try this.
Get a bunch of clear plastic storage containers. Clear the top two shelves in the fridge to have these full of precleaned precut veggies..... baby carrots, cukes, celery, green onions, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, peppers, and grape tomatoes.....
Make the boxes big enough to not only eat straight out of, but to also have enough to COOK with for faster "throw together" meals like stir frys.
If you are only dicing meat then grabbing out a bunch of precut veggies, a stir fry can take as little as 15 min start to finish. THAT'S FAST , CONVIENT FOOD!

huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom replied to LVLaura's response:
Glad you're finding time to hang out with us, lvlaura. I cannot do buffets. I cannot control myself just like I cannot bring chips into my home. Never been to Vegas, are there some healthy restaurants you can go to instead?
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
I know! I was thinking that too, Debbie... all those buffets.... endless foooooood. I'm really surprised Nevada isn't the most obese state in the union just because of Vegas! lol

huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi In the beginning I wasn't trying to lose weight I was increasing my fruits vegies and reducing sweets to improve my vision that took a bad turn...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.