Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mad as a Hatter and a Wiz in the Kitchen
totallywiggedout posted:
Well, I don't know if anyone caught that I've been getting fresh figs from my neighbor across the street. He gave about 2/3 of a gallon ziplock on Wed and just yesterday, ran me down to give me another 1/2 gallon, lol.

Well, we got to talking. He's a MAJOR gabber who looks too much like a garden gnome NOT to be one.... come to find out hes diabetic. BAD diabetic... he takes two shots a day and cannot control his appetite for sweets to save his buns.
He was talking about canning figs, cooking them and serving over sf Icecream, putting them into breads for others, eating them halved with cream (full fat of course) poured over them....and he lamented that he can't even eat fig newtons anymore because if he eats just 2 in a whole week, it makes him deathly ill .
So , today, I dried about 1/2 of the figs he gave me and I started tinkering tonight with sugar free homemade fig newtons that are also 75% gluten free. I added some white flour this time just to start the recipe out, next time I'm going full blown gluten free if this works.

I;ll let you know and post pics of these babies once they are baked and cooled enough to cut into single newtons.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
you got a nice neighbor one of my neighbors along time ago gave me a bunch of peaches from his tree . I made brandied peaches and canned them they were in the cupboard
and My daughter brought one to her teacher in 4th grade
and when she told me I said oh dear you brought your teacher boozy fruit LOl
I talked to the teacher and told her they were an experiment
and My daughter didn;t really know what she was giving her
teacher loved them ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Brandied peaches... I haven't had those in ages.... it's a very old fashioned recipe. Most "younguns" probably have never even heard of them.
It's good that you explained it to the teacher though, it'd be pretty bad if she didn't "catch it" before she fed it to her own kids if she had any, lol.

huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Yes I got the recipe from my old cookbook it was published in the 1800s even has squirral pie in it
fanny farmer cookbook...
that year I made all kinds of things grape jelly pickles I even pickled zucchini ... I had a lot of vegies growing in my garden I had more sun back then so a bigger space for a garden .. the trees surrounding my back yard are all sun blockers now .. they weren't so tall when I had that big garden ..
If your fig newtons come out good and they are healthy with less white flour and less sugar post the recipe on the resource with all the rest .. I would be interested in making something like that my hubby loves fig newtons

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh Judy! I may be the only one here whose mother had a Fanny Farmer cookbook and she had gotten it from her mother. Somehow it disappeared, but you've just brought back such a good memory.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

Well, my newtons look good, but I want to tinker with the flavoring some more. So I'm going to make another batch today (tonight) after I get all the figs dried.

I made my own Almond flour and my own unsweetened coconut flour, mixed those with the 3/4 cup of white flour.... the almonds, I was afraid I'd turn them into almond butter so I didn't pulse maybe enough , they added a bit of gritty nuttiness to the cookie part.
All I had in the house last night was sf pancake syrup and stevia so that's what I used, lol. They are good, I mean REALLY good, but not fig newton tasting. So I've got to tinker.....
But with the fig paste filling, that was ok. I even added chia seeds to that to make em more seedy like reg fig newtons since my figs are so small, they don't have as many seeds... this part turned out almost perfectly.
It's the cookie I gotta work with. I'm thinking I'll go all coconut mostly all coconut flour since it processed better than the almonds did.
Also, I used EVO which is sort of strong flavored... for that, I think I'll switch to real butter or Grape Seed oil (which is basically flavorless) which I ALSO did not have last night, but will be getting today.....
The big thing is the sweetener.... Stevia didn't work, or stevia and the sf syrup didn't work right together..... whichever , somewhere along the line I'm picking up a funky FAKE sweet taste, like sacchrine used to give off (think TAB sodas, and you'll understand what I mean)

not bad for a first try.... but, ONWARD!

huggs
k

kalimiller replied to totallywiggedout's response:
You certainly are adventurous in the kitchen, Kim. I wish that I had more time to experiment. I love trying out new things. Good luck getting your newtons perfected!
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 187.6

SharonNVirginia responded:
Wow Kim!!

I am impressed. You have a future. How about a stall at the farmer's market? Kim's Healthy Treats!

I used to love Fig Newtons. But I was warned about dried fruits and especially figs when I took a diabetes education course. I found that when I ate something disastrous like figs that if I went for an immediate walk of 40 minutes to an hour that I could avoid being sick. Maybe your neighbor is too infirm to benefit from this tactic, but I give it to every diabetic I meet.

Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

mardee responded:
Those look amazing!! I think i might need to make some for my husband. He would love me even more
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
OMG! I hadn't thought of Fanny Farmer in years. We used to always get boxes of the candy when we would go back to NY for a visit. I loved their chocolate covered marshmallow cremes. Maybe it's a good thing we moved South and didn't have that temptation that often! I might have issues with sweets if we hadn't.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie I have a cookbook written by fanny farmer but the candy store used to be an old favorite..
I try to stay away from them as much as possible
there are a lot of great recipes in this cookbook..
some of them are weird though ... It was a gift when I got married from my hubbys grandmother

Judy, have you ever had squirrel? My mom's great aunt used to bring fried squirrel to our family reunions. It's really quite good as long as you don't think about it too much, lol

huggs
k

totallywiggedout replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I'm not sure about commercially dried figs.... mine are just the figs , cut in half and microwaved. No corn syrup or juice added to make them more "pretty" and plump....
I know that a lot of dried fruits have sugar coatings added to them too to keep them from totally drying out and to make them glisten in the packages.

Ben, my neighbor, was intrigued. I apologized ahead of time for them not being fully "newton-y" , and I asked that he do a glucose test before and after eating one to see how it affects him. Since I'm dabbling, it would really be great to know how this works for his diabetes.

I'm not going to be able to do any tonight. Went looking for grape seed oil and couldnt find any at Big Lots this time and really REALLY didn't want to "do" WallyWorld today, so I skipped it... prolly tomorrow, early, before the WalMartians come out and infest the place.

huggs
k

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh No Kim I have never had any of that crazy stuff the wildest thing I ever ate was fried rabbit and they told me it was chicken

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
Fanny Farmer cookbook! Love it. And I want to try those brandied peaches. I bet I could make a low sugar variety with stevia. They sound massively tasty.

My favorite cookbook is the Carla Emory Old Country Foodbook. It has everything you could need about homesteading and I grew up leafing through it. For example, in the section on beans, it starts out with choosing the land and planting them, caring for them, harvesting them, then storing them and cooking with them. It also shows how to raise animals, pick a plot of land, do laundry out in the wilds, all kinds of other stuff.

On rabbit: BETTER than chicken. Way better.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been gaining and loosing weight most of my adult life. The diet of choice has always been weight watchers. I've lost and gained 90 lbs mo...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.