Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
C4 Day 7 Gone with the Wind
mog1026 posted:
That's what we want to happen to all this blasted weight that we're carrying around. But Roh's post got me thinking about nutrition and why we have this extra weight in the first place. Why do we get hungry when our bodies are already carrying around the food we've eaten in the past on our hips and thighs and abdomens. Wouldn't you think that extra fat would make our appetite content until its gone with the wind. Unfortunately that's not how it works as Roh explained so well. When we consume too many empty calories our bodies get starved of nutrition and so we crave more calories as our bodies attempt to accumulate the nutrition we need. And so the cycle of weight gain begins. And we are the end product of that cycle, whether we are overweight, obese, or morbidly obese.

To break the cycle may not be easy, but Judy has done it and keeps telling us over and over how we can do it too. Eat only real food and eat enough of it to keep our metabolism humming along. Good nutrition gives our bodies what they crave. We won't be hungry for junk and we will be helping our immune system to protect us from disease. It's a simple solution and it has the ring of truth. Scarlett O'Hara would have understood what I mean if she had lived in the age of high fructose corn syrup and refined white flour.

"As God is my witness, as God is my witness, they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over Ill never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk." ........................................................................Margaret Mitchell, "Gone With the Wind"

We can do better to feed ourselves and our loved ones the healthy foods that we need to keep the "hungry horrors" gone, Gone with the Wind.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

SharonNVirginia responded:
Amen, Kathy. As it is explained in "Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It", enriched flour, white rice and sugars result in the immediate formation of more fat in about one-third of the female population and slightly less in the male population. So if you have just been out for a run and you come home and have a Twinkie=-you just added fat. It ain't fair, it ain't fair. And that fat wants to suck down every bit of food you eat, rendering you always hungry and leading to the spiral of weight gain. The only solution is radical transformation. No sugars except from fruit limited to 3 servings per day. Drastically limit your intake of white flour and white rice or better yet eliminate them. Why should you continue to lay down fat when what you want to do is eliminate it.

Every time I go off this eating plan I end up hungrier. Saturday evening, my husband was feeling guilty and suggested we get an ice cream. Even though I only got a child's scoop and ate it more slowly than he ate his 2 scoop hot fudge sundae with whipped cream, nuts and cherries, it made me hungry the next day. We went to Costco. They were giving out samples of dulce de leche cake. I thought, "One bite won't hurt me". Which set off hours of more hunger.

And since he monopolizes the computer on the weekend, I didn't get on here and log on the diet & fitness tracker and face what I ate.

I am going out for a walk now before it gets too hot. When I come back, I'll log the weekend as best I can remember and get back on track.
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

mog1026 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I have done the same thing for years...just gotten a small plain ice cream with an itty bitty spoon while my husband gets the huge strawberry sundae with whip cream, nuts, marshmallow and a cherry, and I'M the one with a weight issue! So infuriating!

Milton, Paradise Lost

kalimiller responded:
Good morning everyone!

Ended up getting up last night and eating something b/c I was so hungry I could not sleep. I had plenty for dinner - I know my period will start in the next few days though - I get ravenous a few days before.

Will be trying to get a lot of work done around the house this week. Lots of cleaning and yard work to do. Not sure what we will be working on this afternoon.

I do know that we are helping some friends move on Thursday. So that'll be some good exercise.

Breakfast for me was two eggs with salsa. I didn't weigh myself this morning as it would be skewed from my last night/early morning food.
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 187.6

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
Sometimes I want to eat when the pressure is off Kali not when it's on. Maybe your splurge was because you've gotten a house and you can relax a bit now, so boom here the hunger comes. Just a thought, but you'll take care of it anyway ASAP.

Milton, Paradise Lost

mog1026 responded:
How is everybody feeling? In control? Doing swell? Chugging along?

I'm sorta NOT. I'm starting to need some direction from the BOSS, because its not happening here in Cheat-Land. I've had my fun. I've had a week off. This is sort of like asking pretty please to go to the dentist, but I'm ready to raise my hand for a REAL challenge again. Does anybody feel the same way? Kim? Or do you need to have a little more space?

Milton, Paradise Lost

Kali is right. When you lose weight it comes off an ounce at a time. But when you put weight on, you gain 1/2 an elephant.

Weigh in 220

The first time I saw 220 on the scale was 22 days ago. So what gives? I screwed up over the weekend and that is enough. I am also working out harder. So, next weekend-no screwups!! If I have to lock myself in the house!!!! NO SCREWUPS. And I will follow my plan completely for 7 days. I have got to get out of this loop.

This AM
.5C oatmeal
.5C blackberries
.5t cinnamon

Walked 2.3 miles a new record.

.5 oz. walnuts
peach.
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kathy
Gone with the wind is my favorite book and movie
good reference
I know you want a challenge so here is one for you eat a rainbow of colorful fruits and vegies every day make that a goal and you will be getting a head start on healthy eating .
My food is boring had the cereal and fruit as allways
I covered 2 of my rainbow colors with breakfast strawberries and an orange
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Hi all! Out of control Sharon here.

I went back and logged every thing I remember eating this weekend and it only totalled 500 calories over my target for Sat and Sun. Therefore right on target for losing 1 pound this week. But I put on 2. And it wasn't salty food either. Maybe I have sugar-fuelled amnesia and I have blocked out eating some stuff.

Kathy and everybody,
Why don't we put some effort into expanding our food horizons? Pick something healthful that you've never liked (I picked kale) and commit to eating it 10 times over the next month. Some folks say that getting to like a food is simply a matter of tasting it a certain number of times. Kale is so well-regarded that I feel a little guilty every time I pass it in the store.

Kathy, I know you don't like oatmeal. I didn't either. But I kept choking it down for a while because of the health benefits and now I adore it. My morning oatmeal is the great beginning to every day on this journey and I wouldn't go back to eggs and bacon for anything. Well, to be totally honest I wouldn't go back to the eggs. They just didn't fill me up, fortify me and stick to my ribs til lunch like oatmeal. And if you eat oatmeal with blackberries you are eating 2 superfoods which dramatically lower bad cholesterol. Who among us couldn't stand to lower that bad cholesterol a bit?

So. I'm having kale for dinner. Widening my nutritional horizons.

And yesterday, I set a new goal for myself. I want to be in condition to run (or at least walk) a 10K by Marine Corps Marathon on Oct 27.

Not letting 2 pounds get me down,
Sharon
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130

Holy ----- Sharon! WHAT do you want to do by WHEN!?!

Milton, Paradise Lost

SharonNVirginia replied to mog1026's response:
A 10K is a 6 mile race. I figured that there are 14 weeks til the Marine Corps Marathon. I can walk 2.3 miles now. If I increase that figure by .5 miles per week, I can work up to 6 miles a day by 7 weeks from now. That will give me 7 weeks to work up to running 6 miles. I have never run a race as an adult. But geez, they take these morbidly obese individuals on Biggest Loser and start them running day one. I believe I can do it. I have a plan. My brother was a long distance runner, so I have expert advice. And most important, I have my asthma inhaler. It's a heroic adventure and it will keep me on track and not living and dying by my daily scale number. My family thinks I have slipped a gear. And maybe I have, but I want to beat diabetes, cancer, obesity and depression and it strikes me that this quest can only help.

Dream no small dreams,
Sharon
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130

Lunch:
Tossed salad
2 slices of gourmet lite turkey breast
2 T. balsamic vinaigrette dressing
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130

Buzz Kill Alert!!! You may want to change the channel if you want to have your daydream continue!

It's an admirable goal and luckily you have runner's genes in your family, but keep in mind that The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss are tv shows for entertainment. They aren't showing you the contestants they kill along the way! Just the ones that survive. ( kidding I hope) Try and keep in mind your age (59, I think) and your medical issues and be sensible in how you approach this. TALK to your DOCTOR! Being fit and running distances races are two different things when you are a geriatric who isn't in top shape. Smoochies to you Sharon because your grand kids are going to want to start collecting those silver dollars and we want you sticking around on this board.

Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
I understand your caution, Kathy, but she did say run _or_ walk. Walking 6 miles is not thad bad if you can already do 2.5 now and you are increasing your distance steadily.

This is an interesting discussion. As for how I'm doing, I'm getting back to eating healthier, and my choices are distressingly limited in some ways due to multiple factors, but I'm plugging along. I'll mention that in a separate post. It's nice to know my thoughts inspired somebody.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Sharon and others,

I eat so many different vegetables now than I did before this board and this journey. I always liked broccoli, but I didn't venture out much in this realm - meat and potatoes girl here (well, I WAS). Anyway, now I eat kale, spinach, etc. I eat a dark green veggie every day when I'm on plan. Judy will remember that I kept trying brussel sprouts different ways. LOL! Still don't like them.

A rainbow of foods, as Judy says, everyday AND make sure that MOST days everything you consume is full of nutrients. Your body will thank you for it in many, many ways. It's funny how when you are actually hungry (which I never really was when I was out of control), everything tastes better. Foods I used to turn up my nose at are now what I grab!

Oh, and Sharon, good luck with the goal of a 10K. You CAN do it!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am currently 300 pounds and I am just starting my weight loss journey. I am setting a 3 month goal of losing 24 pounds through eating less calories ...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.