Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
tabidoug posted:
My name is Tabi. I have roughly 89 pounds to lose. I have been struggling with my weight for about 20 years now. I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Those were my wake-up calls. So now is time for me to grab the bull by the horns.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Welcome Tabi!

I, like you, am here to beat diabetes. This is a great group including several goal-weighters who can tell you how they did it and advise you on your journey. When you have 89 pounds to lose, having a support group can be the difference between success and failure. We're all in the same boat and there is no jealousy here. There is generally a thread with today's date on it where we post our daily weight, log our food and exercize, and our thoughts and emotions as well. We celebrate Non-Scale Victories, NSVs, which are changes of heart and mind which will promote positive change in our lives. We are not about diet, per se, but more about transformation. "How can we change ourselves to achieve and maintain a healthy weight and activity level?"

I have only been on the site for 2 months. There are folks who have been here for 3 years and have maintained positive change. Seek out their wisdom.

Love,
Sharon
fasting glucose this AM 118
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

totallywiggedout responded:
To add to Sharon's post, Judy has been here over 9plus years now. She's the foundation upon which we all stand and has been maintaining her goal weight , after a loss of just a hair under 100 lbs, for 9 yrs now.

Wecome aboard.
The biggest thing I can tell you is don't make it hard on yourself. Change one unhealthy habit at a time. Make it stick, then move on to another one.

If you cook most of your own meals, you are already further ahead than someone who eats out most of the time, because you control what goes into your meals.

Eat a rainbow every day. Meaning, eat at least 5 different colors of foods. White isn't a color, it is the ABSENCE of color. So white rice, white potatoes, white pastas and breads should be more or less avoided. Go whole grain and switch to sweet potatoes, but try to only have a max of 2 suggested servings of those a week .

Drink around or at least 64 oz of water a day. This should be over and above your tea or coffee. And try to avoid "diet" and regular sodas like the plague that they are.

Start a food and fitness planner here on Webmd, fitday.com or someplace else like Livestrong.com.... whichever you like best. Log EVERYTHING for a good long time, if not forevermore, to get a handle on serving sizes and calorie counts.

kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mardee responded:
WELCOME!!!
I to have only been here for a short period of time. Just over a month i think...
Since coming here i have got the support i need to keep going. With every pound lost, they have been there to support it.
They point out the bad and the good in the daily posts that we have to help take accountability of what we eat, how active we are and so on.

I hope to see you around and help you on your path to a better life!!!
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Been over weight all my life--59 years old. I need to lose about 100 pounds.I have a bad back and hip. Can't exercise I can barely walk. So I am c...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.