Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gluten and anxiety
rohvannyn posted:
One of the things I learned by going Paleo for so long (and I'll go back to it fully once I can chew stringy things again) is not only do grains cause me to feel awful, including corn and rice, but gluten seems to make me experience a lot of anxiety.

Has anyone else experienced anxiety or other mental problems as a consequence of eating wheat gluten?
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mardee responded:
You know, i have read something in the past, and i mean a few years ago about some sort of realation between the two. I just never thought twice about it untill you mentioned something.
But i do have a really really bad anxiety problem on top of PTSD.
I will attempt to go on a gluten free diet and give an update though.
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

rohvannyn replied to mardee's response:
I have met a few folks who say they have a huge difference between eating wheat gluten and not eating wheat gluten. Some folks really can't tolerate it, but since they don't get indigestion they don't make the connection. That may be the way it is for me. I will continue to experiment, and also look forward to seeing your report.

(Note: yes, I know everybody is different, and what will affect one person's body chemistry will not necessarily affect another's. Still, I keep finding more information about gluten intolerance and sensitivities, so I'm looking into it.)
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mardee replied to rohvannyn's response:
Well, anything helps when it comes to mental health. If gluten is a problem, i assure you that it will no longer be in my diet. I will be able to start a gluten free diet here in about a week and i will surely keep you update.
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

rohvannyn replied to mardee's response:
Well, I can tell you that I am still in a more stable mindset right now. Had a bit of a disagreement this morning but it isn't ruining my whole day like it was in the past.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 70 --- being DX in 2004 (at age 63) with Wegener's Granulomatosis -A Vasculitis auto immune disease affecting many organs --in my case the lu...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.