Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Whats the best exercise
beautifulbuffalo posted:
Recumbunt bike, treadmill, eliptical, swimming, plain walking, plain biking and how long. I usually do the recumbent bike for 30- 45 min. I've been on the treadmill for 20 minutes. and the eliptical scares me. I swim for 30-45 minutes then get into the jacuzzi for 5 minutes.
help I''m not loosing any weight and it's been 3 weeks. I checked my measurements and will check again in 2 weeks. And enlightmnent out there.
BB Jayne

jis4judy responded:
Hi BB how are your calories ? eating as healthy as possible and keeping the calories around 1400 to 1500 is usually the best approach .. Unfortunately no matter how much exercise you do if your eating habits don;t change along with it there will be maintainance of your weight rather than weight removal .
You might see a few inches lost from the exercise
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

beautifulbuffalo replied to jis4judy's response:
I'm not counting my calories. I'm a snacker instead of eating 3 or 6 square meals. I'm exercising my heart out. Probably for no good reason I guess.
BB

abnersmom responded:
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

SharonNVirginia responded:
BB,

If you look at Judy's signature, it says the gold is in the journey. All of us who have a lot of weight to lose start out in a hurry. "How long will it take?" we all ask. But that's the wrong question. The question is "What is it worth to me?" Every successful fat loser eventually says, "I'll do whatever it takes for as long as it takes. I'll change everything to get to my goal." And every successful loser learns a lot along the way.

Reductionists will tell you that a pound of fat is 3,500 calories. Cut 3,500 calories from your intake or exercise it off and you will lose a pound. But it doesn't work that way at all for some people. Some people can cut calories and exercise and still gain fat because they eat the wrong things.

By the time you are 50 pounds overweight, you are beyond the quick fix. You need to change your life. Otherwise, after you have sweated and starved 175,000 calories off your body you will return to your old ways and put it all back on and then some.

I salute you for exercising. Your next step should be facing your habits by recording daily your food intake and exercise output. Click on the above tab "Living Healthy" and on the right bottom of the menu "Track your diet & fitness". When you get to the Webmd.com food & fitness tracker, input your weight hight and activity level and log everything. In a week or so, you should have enough data to take your game to the next level.

If you, like me, gain fat from refined carb intake even when overall calories are under control, let me know and I'll tell you what I know.

I started on here with no organized eating plan, just cutting back. I have honed and refined my strategy, but for the last several weeks I have been plateauing. I am not, however, discouraged. I know that I just need to find the next piece of the puzzle. So I am upping my exercise and getting stricter about my eating.

Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

jis4judy replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Bb the exercise is helpful but only a part of the answer \ weight removal is 80% food changes and 20 % exercise
you are getting stronger from the exercise that's a good thing but it is very hard to exercise weight off ,,,I tried that myself for a year or 2 before I changed my food ... I accually eat a lot '
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
This picture says it ALL , BB. It's not that you are eating your meals in snack form... it's WHAT you snack ON that's gonna make you or break you.
Seriously.... figure walking for an hour at a decent clip burns about 250 calories. BUT if you "snack" a 300 calorie munchie, you have to "bank" that 50 calories, plus the fats, plus the sodium which your body will grab onto and HOLD for "future use". That future will NEVER come because unless you run a triathlon EVERY DAY, you cannot out exercise a diet full of the wrong calories.
PLUS, and here's where I worry most, BB.... if you aren't feeding your body the right foods in decent amounts, then all that exercise? your body will start eating ITSELF to get the nutrients it's missing. I'm not kidding. Your brain, your heart, your liver , your kidnies.... they all have great amounts of nutritious MEAT for your body to consume... and let's not forget all that healthy MUSCLE!! Your body's fat stores will eat into THAT too.

eat better ,start watching your caloric intake, watch the fats and the sodium.... and exercise ENOUGH but not too much to over do it. ...... What you are doing isn't working. Try something else. before you get so mad you quit.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

beautifulbuffalo replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I DON'T EAT LIKE THAT! When I say I'm a snacker it's carrots here and there, almonds etc. I've cut back my eating. When I work out I don't eat breakfast but I eat a fiber one bar afterwards.
BB

rohvannyn replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Sounds like pretty good snacks to me! The fiber one bar would send me into a hunger-cycle, but hey, if it works for you, awesome! I'm trying to eat breakfast now. *sigh!*
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Alright then, BB. It's time to start measuring. The Fiber One bar has the calories right on the package. So that one is easy.
I'm not saying that you snack only on crap. But even good , healthy foods have calories and some , like nuts, have fats... yes, certain nuts are heart healthy, but they still have to be accounted for in the daily caloric load... same with carrots , celery, peanut butter, salads... I don't care what it is.. Unless it's water or black tea or coffee, it should be added up to let you know why you aren't losing.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

Starting at 310 lbs, 48 years old, diabetic w/heart issues, I have chosen to go the route of Bariatric Gastric By-pass surgery on April 24, 2013. My p...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.